Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
Has anyone seen The River Within? We watched it last night from Netflix and it was actually pretty decent. I would definitely recommend it for a family night movie or for a pastor to show a congregation. Lately, i've been getting into these movies alot. I was in our book store a couple of weeks ago and noticed the movie Flywheel, which I had never heard of, but decided to get anyway because I liked Facing GIants and it was from the same church. That was decent as well. The acting can be subpar at times, but I didn't notice it after the first 5 minutes. River Within was actually one of the better acting movies that I've seen so far with Christian movies. Their definitely moving and inspiring movies though.
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
Have not seen that one. I have heard that "The Secret of Jonathan Sperry" is an excellent choice, but haven't seen it. It was in theaters about a year ago, and now on DVD and some pay-per-view. And "Fireproof" is pretty good for the genre.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The Secret of Jonathan Sperry is a good flick to watch with younger kids. Faith Like Potatoes is one of the better produced Faith-based films of the past few years ... and as Phil Cooke points out, there is a bunch of really poor productions out there. To Save a Life seems to be the best of the past year for students.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Escape from Hell
Pilgrims Progress
Final Exit

Buy them all...buy 5 and give them to friends

I'm good friends with the Director if you couldnt tell :D
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, Pilgrims Progress had some very familiar scenery in it. :lol:

I have connections with Rich Christiano who did the Sperry movie and a bunch of others that seem to be regulars on TBN.
By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
couple more to add to the list. BTW thanks for recommendations--they were good. The acting is really good for these:

Standing Firm
No Greater Love
Saving God

I think someone from Liberty is making one called The Potential Inside which should be out soon
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Great movie! I've seen it a few times now and it promotes Liberty VERY well! I believe the Journal did an article on Scotty as well (the director).

And for you camera buffs the movie was shot with a RED
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
I liked -
Man on Fire
Taken
Faster

I like for my children to learn that sometimes in life you have to stand up for yourself when no one else will. These are movies that generate great conversation. Now, my 7 year old gets scared sometimes, but better to have nightmare's now and get it out of his system.
By Liberty4Life
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:I liked -
Man on Fire
Taken
Faster

I like for my children to learn that sometimes in life you have to stand up for yourself when no one else will. These are movies that generate great conversation. Now, my 7 year old gets scared sometimes, but better to have nightmare's now and get it out of his system.
Man on Fire & Taken? Yeah... great Christian films.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Liberty4Life wrote:
prototype wrote:I liked -
Man on Fire
Taken
Faster

Man on Fire & Taken? Yeah... great Christian films.
You have no problem with Faster? Great. I will take that as a "+1". And...who are we to judge... Man on Fire, Bush on Fire, sermon on fire...
By Liberty4Life
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:
You have no problem with Faster? Great. I will take that as a "+1". And...who are we to judge... Man on Fire, Bush on Fire, sermon on fire...
Haven't seen faster. Not willing to comment on a movie I haven't seen.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Liberty4Life wrote:
prototype wrote:
Haven't seen faster. Not willing to comment on a movie I haven't seen.
It's not out yet... But here's a summary (probably just going to take my 8 and 7 year old - probably will go over my 17 months head...
* Opens November 24, 2010
* R - Strong violence, some drug use and language
* An ex-con is out to avenge his brother's death after they were double-crossed during a heist years ago.
* Cast: Dwayne Johnson, Billy Bob Thornton, Oliver Jackson-Cohen, Carla Gugino, Moon Bloodgood
* Director: George Tillman, Jr.
* Genres: Action
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
TXFlame wrote:Added Standing Firm and Saving God to my Netflix list. They both sound really good.
"Letters to God" was interesting, if you can get past the terrible acting.
By rueful
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:
probably will go over my 17 months head...
hahaha.

Seriously, Christian undertones can be found in just about any movie if you look for them. Also, the movies themselves dont have souls, and therefore arent Christian in and of themselves. They may have Christian directors and actors, but they arent christian.

I love it when people only listen to "Christian music" too
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
rueful wrote: Also, the movies themselves dont have souls, and therefore arent Christian in and of themselves. They may have Christian directors and actors, but they arent christian.

I love it when people only listen to "Christian music" too
Okay, this line of thinking always bugs me. NEWSFLASH: "Christian" can also be used as an *gasp!* adjective. It's okay to describe things as being "Christian", people will know what you're talking about. I don't get why people have a problem with this. Would you not tell people that Liberty is a Christian university, or that you went to a Christian school?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
While culture cannot have a soul, it can have a theme or mission. But this would probably be a better discussion to have in its own thread.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Proto, I was dying reading your posts....very nice
By Liberty Rules
Registration Days Posts
The Elephant Man (1980)-Not explicitly Christian but has strong Christian undertones.

Chariots of Fire (1981)-Explicitly Christian.

Rocky Balboa (2007)-Strong Christian undertones.

Gran Torino (2009)-If you can get past the language, this story is amazingly redemptive. I also never laughed so hard. Eastwood should have won an Oscar. :oldhag
By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
If anyone has the chance to see Soul Surfer, I would definitely recommend it. Me and my wife were just trying to get out of the house and to be honest I didnt have much expectations going into it figuring this was another girl power blue crush movie, but it was really good. Hopefully it will stay.in theatres for awhile
Volleyball Coach

I would make a distinction between expressing, sha[…]

Playing with AI. Ask it about a former NFL player […]

LU Campus Construction Thread

https://www.liberty.edu/news/2024/04/26/liberty-un[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Going to play for old HCHF OL coach Klenakis and J[…]