Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By belcherboy
Registration Days Posts
kiltsareitchy07 wrote:I've also heard that Perry routinely swears in his sermons for the sake of being hip or "culturally relevant"

I've probably seen and heard Perry speak (either live or online) 15 sermons this year. As far as I can remember, I've heard him cuss one time, and he was repeating something someone else said. He does use the word "p iss" a lot, but I'm not sure I would say he routinely swears, although I've probably only heard about 1/3 of his sermons this year.

I think he is very relevant to his congregation. From what I understand (I've never visited NS), he has a large number of college kids with Clemson being so close. His sermons are often geared toward the 22-35 year old crowd. He just finished a 5 week series on being single. In my personal opinion, he isn't a great communicator yet, but much of his content is spot on for our culture. I posted a specific sermon of his in an earlier post above, and it was probably the best presented sermon I have heard that talked about being single and being married. He breaks down the method used by Abraham and his servant, and how it is relevant in how singles should choose their mate. GREAT stuff that my college class has been talking about all week (we watched it last Wednesday). I can understand the perception of him trying to "be hip", but I think he genuinely is hip and thus the "cultish/rock star" perception that he has.
Well.......... looks like NewSpring perfected the "shock and awe" technique down. That blog will make you sick.

Look at all the past issues Duncan has brought up (Billboards, SEXED). All this certainly brings up a whole new discussion.

I dont like the SEXED ad.

Having a condom in a video? Ehh.....it doesnt bug me as much. I do have a problem with the captions on it. It's fine to communicate that sex is fine within the confines of marriage. But the advertisement has no "learn the truth here" or even any connection to a Christian lifestyle. It also inadvertantly undermines any sense of authority, such as a parent or other churches. There obviously can be a problem with the way Christian families or churches shy away from hot topic, but the point can be made without adding all the unnecessary stuff.
Having read both the Newspring statement and the pajamapages blog, I do find this a sad situation. Not being familiar with the church or its pastor I cant really speak to that. As for the situation, I do hope this can be resolved in a manner agreeable to all parties and that there can be some healing wrought between all parties involved. I dont think this will be the "end" of the church but it will have a pretty big effect. My prayers for all of them.
By rueful
Registration Days Posts
whatever happened with this? I remember reading the whole pajama pages thing and it leaving a bad taste in my mouth about newspring/perry noble, and was reminded of that bad taste today
I haven't heard anything either.

Of course there's this guy

http://davidjosephhorn.wordpress.com/20 ... eadership/
Every single newspaper, tv station, radio station and church that was contacted to help spread the word about Alex’s bone marrow drive was happy to help. With the exception of one. You can imagine our disbelief when NewSpring refused to announce a bone marrow drive for a teenager who went to NewSpring for years. Especially when their refusal was on the grounds that “it would interfere with worshiping Jesus.” They also would not allow a flier to be placed on their building because “if they did it for one person, they’d have to do it for everyone”.
By rueful
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:well the blog that was at the center of this is now retired...
yeah i saw that earlier today too.

What brought it back up for me was this http://www.studentministry.org/who-lead ... ion-video/, on a site I check every day. I Kind of lose respect for that church and Noble every time I see him do anything.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Who needs to go to seminary to learn the original languages, we have cab drivers! Didn't he also flippantly use the n-word from the pulpit when talking about his black friend recently? Not to mention paying to have his book on the NYT best-sellers list, a-la Furtick & Driscoll. Dude needs a good talking to, but guys like this don't listen.
ANY church/ministry that focuses on man-worship is doomed to fail. Bakker, Driscoll, Hyles, Gray, Jones's, Schaap,etc. It is not "their" church/ministry, it is God's. Jerry, Warren, Graham, understood that. There is a huge difference. Don't know anything about Noble, but not at all impressed with shock and awe tactics, or majoring on condemning others beliefs.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]