Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Flamesfanva
Registration Days Posts
Falwell Jr. has emergency surgery

By Ron Brown
Lynchburg News & Advance
September 25, 2006

Jerry Falwell Jr., the vice chancellor of Liberty University, underwent emergency surgery at Bedford Memorial Hospital today to remove a ruptured spleen.

His father, the Rev. Jerry Fal-well, went to Bedford to be at his son’s side. Falwell Jr., who lives in Bedford County, had been driven to the hospital this morn-ing by his wife Becky.

He started experiencing dis-comfort overnight before doctors determined that the spleen was bleeding.

It is unclear what caused the spleen to bleed.

According to Merck Manual Home Edition, “A person can live without a spleen. Sometimes a spleen must be removed surgi-cally because of irreparable damage. When the spleen is removed, the body loses some of its ability to produce protective antibodies and to remove un-wanted microorganisms from the blood. As a result, the body’s ability to fight infections is im-paired.”

Under certain circumstances, antibiotics are required to pre-vent infections.

“He has received transfusions and is doing much better at the present moment,” said Ron Godwin, Liberty University’s chief operating officer. “We don’t know why the spleen enlarged.”

The Rev. Jonathan Falwell, Falwell Jr.’s younger brother and executive pastor of Thomas Road Baptist Church, said Falwell Jr. was in recovery Monday after-noon.

“They say they have it under control and everything is fine,” Jonathan Falwell said. “I don’t know all the medical and techni-cal details of all that. He’s out of surgery.”

Rumors were circulating Monday that Falwell Jr. had been in a serious automobile accident.

“He’s doing fine,” Jonathan Falwell said. “There wasn’t any wreck. That was just a rumor that ran around.”
Just saw this on the N&A site.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
man alive- this family is just getting hammered this year.

God bless all of them- will keep them in thoughts and prayers
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
What is up with the ruptured spleens? My boy Chris Simms and Jerry Jr. at the same time?

Glad to see his wife had the insistence to take him to the hospital (all the guys on this board no what I'm talking about).
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
Looks like the same exact surgery that Chris Simms of Tampa Bay had.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football ... htm?csp=34

We should toss up one for their family.

I used to work at LCA and would see Jerry Jr. around quite a bit... He's a very relaxed and fun-loving guy. I remember one time when his son 'Tre' was running down the hall at LCA and the principle began to yell at him to stop when right behind him comes Jerry Jr. chasing his son in the hallways.

I wish him well.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
i was talking to my mom and she said that jerry jr. had a ruptured spleen...i thought she was crazy and i said it was chris simms...how could you mix that up?? NFL QB, and jerry jr. oh well. im glad jerry jr. is ok. scary stuff.
Last edited by bigsmooth on September 25th, 2006, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
All business aside, I definitely wish the Vice Chancellor and his family all of the best. I'll be praying for them.

I have to say though, he's the key to LU's success in more ways than one. Here's hoping to a speedy and full (as possible) recovery.
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
I got an e-mail from Jerry Jr. on Sunday and he is feeling much better but it will still take a while for him to get back to 100%..

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/10[…]

Athens Regional

Changing speeds to the key to pitching. Escobar […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Doesn't affect us at all, but our former Big South[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We have quite the battle for second place going on[…]