Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Touche Jon...the findings of the schools investigation are supposed to be out in a few weeks so we will see
BJWilliams wrote:That shows a lack of critical thinking skills on the part of the undergrad students because they just take something on the internet and believe its true due to a lack of an immediate response from the school or Caner himself (even though Caner released a statment addressing the matter).
I wouldn't say they all accept it as fact but it raises some eyebrows and makes them start to question things which is understandable
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Schfourteenteen wrote:I'm specifically referring to one person being respected or followed. The idea that one individual is respected to the point where people actually aspire to be like him. We don't have that.
How many colleges can you name that do have that, either spiritually, academically, or otherwise?

Much in this thread speaks to Liberty's decades-long Image Battle within itself. Is it a university? Is it a church ministry? Is it both? Is it possible to be both?

The daily business of the University constantly faces this question. To operate in a professional manner as a University, and to grow as such, the school cannot be run as a church ministry. That means the role of the chancellor adapts as the school continues to grow.

Someone mentioned the inability to operate with two leaders. That's absolutely correct. But it seems some are afraid to say that the University's spritual leader might not also be top dog. But to say so does not decry the spritual integrity of the University, so we need not fear such an organizational or even psychological structure.

Lastly, let me say this. I loved Dr. Falwell. I knew him from the time I was very young, I was stunned when he passed, I shed many tears the Sunday following his death (that's when it hit me hardest), and I believe I owe him a great debt for how his life's work impacted my own life directly. But in order to continue its growth and development as a University, Liberty needed this next stage of it's leadership. And, I'm not just talking about the financial stability that Dr. Falwell's passing provided. Liberty University is absolutely in a better place now than it was in 2007. One could argue that it would have arrived here anyway. But, I choose to trust the Lord's timing for the development of the University, and there's no mistaking what He has done.
By Schfourteenteen
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:
Someone mentioned the inability to operate with two leaders. That's absolutely correct. But it seems some are afraid to say that the University's spritual leader might not also be top dog. But to say so does not decry the spritual integrity of the University.
Technically - the SL would be the person on the top of the (spiritual development) chain, right? Who is that? I have no idea.

I agree with that. I don't think the spiritual leader has to run the show, and in this case, he/she doesn't. That's fine by me. But I do think LU is better off with a spiritual figurehead - even if he's not the Godfather.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Schfourteenteen wrote: Technically - the SL would be the person on the top of the (spiritual development) chain, right? Who is that? I have no idea.
Johnnie Moore's title is VP for Executive Projects and Media Relations but he is listed as Campus Pastor and is listed under Spiritual Programs.

Dwayne Carson's title is VP for Spiritual Development.

From what you're saying, one of the people in that position should be the "figurehead" leader, right?
By Schfourteenteen
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:
Schfourteenteen wrote: Technically - the SL would be the person on the top of the (spiritual development) chain, right? Who is that? I have no idea.
Johnnie Moore's title is VP for Executive Projects and Media Relations but he is listed as Campus Pastor and is listed under Spiritual Programs.

Dwayne Carson's title is VP for Spiritual Development.

From what you're saying, one of the people in that position should be the "figurehead" leader, right?
It's my opinion - doesn't mean I'm right. Historically, it means I'm wrong. See VMI @ Liberty prediction thread.

One of those positions(the highest official position) should involve more of a figurehead role. Instead of dealing with the operations and management side, the position would specifically fill the "preacher" aspect of a senior pastor. If that happens, there will be a need for a new position underneath in order to accommodate the work load.

It sounds like I'd be limiting the roles of this pastor, but IMO it'd be the most taxing position on the spiritual side. He'd preach Wednesday at convo and Sunday either at campus church or at TRBC(So what if Jonathan is wishful thinking?). He'd have his meetings regarding the Spiritual Development side, but it'd be less "hands on." It gives the leader more freedom to go out and make a personal impact at Liberty.

Both Johnnie and Dwayne are immenslry invested time wise in OSL and the ministry on campus. There's no denying the amount of work they do......not many pastors are put in charge of 12,000 curious kids. I think, if given the opportunity, both of these guys could do well in a role like this.

I'm still big on Jonathan doing something like this - but the TRBC setup would also need to be restructured. They've got a good thing going there and I don't see a huge shakeup for this.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
He has that title, but how much does he do with it? How much is he asked to do with it? How much is he allowed to do with it? I ask that because I honestly don't know. I view Jonathan as the pastor of TRBC and having little to no hands-on stuff at Liberty. You would know better than me.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
I'm in Orlando at the Southern Baptist Convention and LU held a Alumni reception where 250 people attended. The speakers were Jonathan, Caner and Towns. They all represented LU well and the reception was great. I thought about this thread as they all spoke and thought how fitting it was that those 3 were speaking because it would take at least that many to fill Doc's role that he left behind. Its a known fact that not one person can replace what he left, so this may very well sum it up.
By The Natural
Registration Days Posts
Schfourteenteen wrote:Short answer - None
" That was the great thing about Jerry - and this has been my perception about his role here over his last 2 or 3 years - he wasn't burdened with other operational responsibilities. He walked into convo, gave one of his ten memorized yet powerful speeches, made ONE political joke and walked out. Does speaking in convo make you a leader? No, but the combination of seeing him once or twice a week and hearing him speak with authority gave him the ability to have an impact on everyone. Call it a figurehead if you wish, but we don't have this on campus. "
I have thought about this long and hard since the Doc's death. What made him so unique ?? A spiritual leader that everyone clearly recognized ? Maybe it has to do with fire ! Revival is a term often discarded from any real discourse because the campus has a greater eccumenical emphasis to deal with. But the Doc always loved the theme of fire. Remember Youth Aflame, heck the team name is the Flames. His messages alwys had references to revival and a fervent zeal for the Lord. Leviticus 6:13 "Fire shall be kept burning on the alter continually;it shall not go out" The Doc had a knack for talking about the fervent, zeal and fire of the the Lord. His messages always had those references in them...Psalm 104:3,4 "his ministers a flaming fire", Isaiah 42:13 "like a man of war he stirs up his zeal", John 2:13-17 "Zeal for your house will consume me", and my favorite passage when thinking about the Doc Luke 24:25-32 " Did not our hearts burn within us while he talked to us on the road, while he opened to us the Scriptures?".

The Doc understood the foolishness of preaching and the use of God's Word to stir that "flame" inside the students. The Doc as the post accuratly states above would get up at convo and use many messages that he has used before. The difference is the Holy Spirit's fire burned in that man like none before him and maybe none after him. I don't know. What I do know is that revival starts with repentance and humility. I need it...and Liberty's leadership need it now. All I am saying is I don't hear the fire to often anymore. So call me old fashion, argumentitive whatever...but I am from the mid-west ! :) Then again what is the topic of this thread ???

BTW I miss him too !
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
Jerry was a man raised by God for the purpose of reaching the world in Lynchburg and having he vision of a Christian University. I don't expect God to raise someone to do the job Jerry carried out.
What Jerry also did was raised his son unlike other preachers who failed in raising their kids, to be Champions for Christ. Each of his sons were raised to carry on Jerry's dreams. Each one has a particular task and I am thankful to God for Jerry not only being a great pastor but as time has shown also a great Father.
5 plus 7 model

Process of elimination... Why is ND left with 2 g[…]

Prayers please

Oh say no more. I'll be praying even harder now :[…]

Family Travel Obsession

We'll do cruises when our legs and backs don't[…]

The COVID-19 Megathread

Fauci Hearing 10 am today. https://oversight.hous[…]