This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Right now I would dare say 1-3 inches for Lynchburg. But if the GFS model is correct then that could increase.

We shall see.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:
jbock13 wrote:Probably a little snow. Could be big, though.
Sounds just the weather man. Cover all the bases, and you can’t be wrong!
I’m going to really go out on a limb and say 0-75 inches :D

Seriously, 2-5 for Lynchburg.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:I'm calling 6" in the Burg and 8" in Roanoke.
If it were December or January I’d call for that, but feel it will have a more difficult Time accumulating, thus staying with my original 2-5 call.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I realize this is usually a weather thread, but has anyone noticed the increased price of LU hoodies at Walmart? Since we have announced that we are going FBS, the $20 LU hoodie at Walmart now costs $36. :shock:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I brought a kiddie hoodie at bookstore in December, cost 30 dollars
Keep working hard. One day you’ll wear adult clothing :D
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
I am out of town, but your post seems to imply that Walmart was destroyed... yet nothing on the news indicates such. What do you mean? Was there severe damage in the burg?
By Class of 20Something
alabama24 wrote:I am out of town, but your post seems to imply that Walmart was destroyed... yet nothing on the news indicates such. What do you mean? Was there severe damage in the burg?
We got a very severe thunderstorm that has flooded much of the area and had incredibly strong rotation, enough that a tornado warning. It seems like it's just radar indicated at this point, but the velocity couplet on radar was nearly as sharp as the tornado that hit Timberlake and Amherst.

I was just trying to have fun with the Walmart weather theme.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Lynchburg had some MAJOR flash flooding this afternoon. Everybody high and dry, or are you struggling with a flooded basement? :rainy :moppedthefloor

We have a little creek on our property that looked like a white water river for a few hours, but thankfully the rain has mostly stopped, and our creek is almost back to normal now.

UPDATE: WSET is reporting that Lynchburg got 7 inches of rain in 2 hours.
By Jonathan Carone
Just saw this on Twitter:
The NWS is warning of "imminent failure" of College Lake Dam near Lynchburg, VA. If this dam fails, they are warning Blackwater Creek could rise 17 feet in 7 minutes. Very, very dangerous situation.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
We are good in the Evington area. Git less than two inches here. But a couple miles over along Waterlick road there are a lot of houses with sewage in their basements. Very localized flooding.
By Class of 20Something
The flooding was so bad, I have a poured basement that comes about 6 inches over grade and it still flooded. Water wedged up against the house until it rose over the concrete wall. I had to drain my pool in order for it to not flood. I'm blessed with some amazing friends that helped me shop vac my house into something reasonably dry.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:The flooding was so bad, I have a poured basement that comes about 6 inches over grade and it still flooded. Water wedged up against the house until it rose over the concrete wall. I had to drain my pool in order for it to not flood. I'm blessed with some amazing friends that helped me shop vac my house into something reasonably dry.
Call SteamWay ASAP to make sure there’s no water damage. Those guys are GREAT
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:The flooding was so bad, I have a poured basement that comes about 6 inches over grade and it still flooded. Water wedged up against the house until it rose over the concrete wall. I had to drain my pool in order for it to not flood. I'm blessed with some amazing friends that helped me shop vac my house into something reasonably dry.
Call SteamWay ASAP to make sure there’s no water damage. Those guys are GREAT
Thanks Purple! We have had guys out all night. The thing that stinks for many is that this kind of damage is often not covered by insurance.
By Class of 20Something
I think the only thing left to worry about is what got under the laminate floors. My home humidity is already back under 50%, would y'all think a dehumidifier can handle the rest?
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:I think the only thing left to worry about is what got under the laminate floors. My home humidity is already back under 50%, would y'all think a dehumidifier can handle the rest?
Best thing to do is pull up laminate floor. Dehumidifiers help, but moisture will remain under there, as well as under any vapor barrier that might be there. It will all dry eventually, but not before things start stinking or worse, developing mold.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:I think the only thing left to worry about is what got under the laminate floors. My home humidity is already back under 50%, would y'all think a dehumidifier can handle the rest?
Best thing to do is pull up laminate floor. Dehumidifiers help, but moisture will remain under there, as well as under any vapor barrier that might be there. It will all dry eventually, but not before things start stinking or worse, developing mold.
We replaced the laminate flooring in our basement with that pvc stuff. Not sorry we did at all. Thanks Lumber Liquidators and super props to SteamWay!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
As someone who has been through more than my share of floods in recent years, if water got on your drywall you need to cut it out post haste. Mold will get in behind the walls and do massive damage.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Take preparations now for tropical storm force winds and catastrophic flooding to occur.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
This think is going to drop a crap ton of rain in the Carolinas/Virginia and maybe even Maryland. Worth paying attention to.

I have my doubts that LU will be playing a football game this weekend.
By Class of 20Something
thepostman wrote:This think is going to drop a crap ton of rain in the Carolinas/Virginia and maybe even Maryland. Worth paying attention to.

I have my doubts that LU will be playing a football game this weekend.
Anyone need a link of ND at NMSU during Matthew? That was on real turf. With a synthetic surface I think the game will still be played in front of 8 people in attendance
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]