This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By JDUB
Registration Days Posts
I saw some serious lightening. I was in between 2 storms and the flashes were on both sides. it was pretty cool
I saw a power line sparking and my buddy tried to call AEP but they have a retarded phone system and he couldn't ever get through to report it. Hopefully no fires will be started since everything is wet
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I was outside last night for like an hour watching a killer electrical storm. It was all traveling through the clouds and then would occasionally hit the ground. It was so much that I took 1 picture and actually got it in the picture. I've been trying to capture it on film now for like a year but I always miss it. Then I ran out of room on my card.

There's got to be some kind of technique that makes it easier and a clearer picture.
By blwall1416
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:There's got to be some kind of technique that makes it easier and a clearer picture.
Camera Raw + Photoshop.

Send me the file & I'll see what I can do with it.
By JDUB
Registration Days Posts
did you try using a tripod and slow exposure? you would have to set the exposure depending on how much lightening there is, but if it is really slow you could have multiple bolts in one picture. last night i was really wishing that i had my camera with me
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
No, it was spur of the moment, and I don't have a tripod. I set it on auto with flash (non flash would have been way too long of an exposure without a tripod) and I just covered the flash with my hand. I don't think it came out that bad but there's a little too much noise for my taste.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
JDUB wrote:I saw some serious lightening. I was in between 2 storms and the flashes were on both sides. it was pretty cool
I saw a power line sparking and my buddy tried to call AEP but they have a retarded phone system and he couldn't ever get through to report it. Hopefully no fires will be started since everything is wet
JDUB wrote:did you try using a tripod and slow exposure? you would have to set the exposure depending on how much lightening there is, but if it is really slow you could have multiple bolts in one picture. last night i was really wishing that i had my camera with me
At first I thought it was a mistake, then you did it again. Unless you meant you saw the "descent of the uterus into the pelvic cavity that occurs late in pregnancy; the fetus is said to have dropped" then I think you mean lightning.
By JDUB
Registration Days Posts
yeah, i can't spell, i'm aware of that
By JDUB
Registration Days Posts
looks like more thunderstorms on the way. thunderstorm warning just flashed on the screen and i looked outside and there are some nasty looking clouds
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Yay. I get to drive in this crap.
By JDUB
Registration Days Posts
it just thundered.

i think the warning was only until 4:30,but that can't be right b/c its headed this way now
By JDUB
Registration Days Posts
they just flashed a tornado warning. its not for campbell, but still. this may get ugly
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
We can't even get a little drizzle and you guys are getting storms every few days. This is getting frustrating by the day this summer.
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
Lots of storms here in NOVA too.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The rain will help my tomato plants. :)
By TylerBakersGonnaBGreat
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:The rain will help my tomato plants. :)

Yay for Salmonella
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
NOT on my homegrown tomatoes! :nono
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Fumblerooskies wrote:Image

We need it on page 3 now

I'm so glad I revived this thread....
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Anyone hear that loud bang??? Yeah that was my house...
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
You know that Severe Thunderstorm Warning in Pittsylvania County? Yea, I was driving on 29 when that was going through there. It looked like the lightning was striking right outside my car.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
It's getting good out there boys
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
dang, there's like a hurricane outside and my windows are down.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Hold My Own wrote:It's getting good out there boys
I just went out to get my iPod out of my car and the wind blew my front door to my house back open. With that being said, I get to go drive to Martinsville in this stuff.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Ok, nevermind. I think I'll wait fifteen minutes.
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
Yeah...this is one of the better wind + T-Storms we've had. ALMOST reminiscent of the tornado weather we had a few years back...what was it...03? 04?
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:dang, there's like a hurricane outside and my windows are down.

but your wipers are up right???
Family Travel Obsession

Cruises are cost effective and take you to a new[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

....without truly even understanding biology an[…]

Meanwhile, Virginia University of Lynchburg is i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://i.imgur.com/KeewXvX.jpeg He's not finis[…]