This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Game over...didn't pan out.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Oops.

I forgot the golden rule... whenever it's a snow storm the low will shift 100 miles north at the last minute for no reason at all.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Still snowing here
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Anyone going to the game at noon? Anyone ventured out? We live on top of Candler's and are thinking of taking the boys to the game at noon, via LUCOM. Thoughts?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
It snowed here for a little while and then shifted to rain and its been raining ever since. School dismissed about 2 hours early in Chesapeake where I was subbing. Just about everywhere closed early except for Hampton which was closed all day.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:Anyone going to the game at noon? Anyone ventured out? We live on top of Candler's and are thinking of taking the boys to the game at noon, via LUCOM. Thoughts?
On top of a Mountain? Shoot, go sledding down the mountain to the game!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
With 4WD, I'm much more confident climbing a hill than going down one. Because once you start sliding downhill, 4WD is useless to you.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I heard from workers going to the game. Very sparse tragic on roads. Roads bad but not impassable. About 40-45mph max.
By rhezick
Humble_Opinion wrote:
Hold My Own wrote:
Humble_Opinion wrote:Meanwhile, big snows for NW NC, all of the Piedmont and Central VA and up into DC and parts of MD. The NWS finally caught up with all the data and upped their snowfall totals to include Lynchburg receiving 14-20" of snow.
Except WSET...that forecast is awful. They can't make up their mind and really messed up with their initial prediction of 8"-12." Then want to put up all of the record totals on the screen...why would you do that for a storm you think is only bringing 12" max? I think the EURO model has this pretty well pegged and we'll be pushing a new record. 1-2" margin either way.
Looks like WSET had it spot on prediction wise... NWS has unofficial reports saying we ended up with around 12 inches total.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Had 34" where I live. But I was snowed-in in Teaneck, NJ for two days. Got about 24" there.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I predicted 6-8 inches in Gretna. When I measured it, it was 7 inches.
But how much snow........
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I predicted 6-8 inches in Gretna. When I measured it, it was 7 inches.
Haizy, everyone at work is now staring at me. jerk.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Depends on where you measure it from
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Haizy, everyone at work is now staring at me. jerk.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I believe one of PH's classic "phrasing" posts might be in order
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I believe one of PH's classic "phrasing" posts might be in order
Day late and a dollar short..........
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
rhezick wrote:Looks like WSET had it spot on prediction wise... NWS has unofficial reports saying we ended up with around 12 inches total.
We got caught in the dry slot with the way the storm took shape. Most models (medium range and short range) showed the dry slot passing to the south and east of us keeping us in the heavier bands of precipitation that ultimately lead to the higher totals just to our North and East. I don't understand what WSET based their prediction on. Perhaps they were influenced by the NAM, which was really the only model that had those types of totals. I measured 11" in my front yard AFTER the sleet, so I would say 12" is pretty close to being about right in LYH.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
For those outside of the bubble... Local schools were closed for the FIFTH day today. If school get's cancelled tomorrow, I don't see them having it on Friday. Please pray. lol
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:
rhezick wrote:Looks like WSET had it spot on prediction wise... NWS has unofficial reports saying we ended up with around 12 inches total.
We got caught in the dry slot with the way the storm took shape. Most models (medium range and short range) showed the dry slot passing to the south and east of us keeping us in the heavier bands of precipitation that ultimately lead to the higher totals just to our North and East. I don't understand what WSET based their prediction on. Perhaps they were influenced by the NAM, which was really the only model that had those types of totals. I measured 11" in my front yard AFTER the sleet, so I would say 12" is pretty close to being about right in LYH.
I noticed this too. They were right, but for the wrong reason.

I knew for sure channel 10 was going to bust for Southside.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:For those outside of the bubble... Local schools were closed for the FIFTH day today. If school get's cancelled tomorrow, I don't see them having it on Friday. Please pray. I chortle audibly.
That's ridiculous. We got 30" and kids never missed a day

Stopped early Sunday am and by Monday all the roads were good to go
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yeah DC area schools were off all week too except for city schools they went back Wednesday. I get that this area doesn't get storms like this often but the cleanup strategy was a complete joke.
By HenryGale
Registration Days Posts
It's snowing...
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Yeah. Thanks all you amateur meteorologists! Where was the heads up?
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
It's called 60 hours of work a week. Sorry. My guess was 3-6 so I guess I would have been wrong anyway. But I would successfully debunked the "it's no big deal" forecasts.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]