This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By matshark
Registration Days Posts
LU actually has quite the history of not helping girls who have been assaulted, etc...

A buddy of mine worked a rape investigation up there for 6 weeks and had the guy nailed until the girl "decided" not to testify... (something about the guys daddy was a big donor or something... my buddy's not a fan of the dean of women's office and one former employee there in particular...)
By FlameDad
Registration Days Posts
matshark wrote:LU actually has quite the history of not helping girls who have been assaulted, etc...

A buddy of mine worked a rape investigation up there for 6 weeks and had the guy nailed until the girl "decided" not to testify... (something about the guys daddy was a big donor or something... my buddy's not a fan of the dean of women's office and one former employee there in particular...)
way to smear the school with hearsay

same goes for your "buddy"
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
FlameDad, there are these stories everywhere at Liberty. The reason I believe it is I've heard almost the same story quite a few times. Maybe not rape, but assault and things like that.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
do I need to mention eagles flocking together in one big flame? matshark fails gullibility 101. You guys are the sole reason that this crap gets recycled every year.

edit: I forgot to also warn everybody about wandering into Demoss. The word is the foundation can't acutally support the top 2 floors. That's why it's empty. Be very careful with how hard you step.
Last edited by LUconn on December 14th, 2007, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I've never once spread the rumors about this stuff, but I've heard them from so many different angles that it's hard not to think it's happening occasionally. We're a school of over 10,000 people and there's a ton of places on our campus that aren't lit very well. To think that stuff isn't happening is pretty ignorant.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:FlameDad, there are these stories everywhere at Liberty. The reason I believe it is I've heard almost the same story quite a few times. Maybe not rape, but assault and things like that.
you ever notice how these stories seem to have the same kind of theme?? I am not saying it could never be true...because lord knows Liberty is far from perfect...but its not nearly as common as some would like to believe
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
to think that giant coverups aren't happening by wealthy parents because of poorly lit areas is ignorant?
By HenryGale
Registration Days Posts
Cover ups at LU...NEVER! :roll:
By FlameDad
Registration Days Posts
Very sorry to hear that however I don't think it is productive to make those serious accusations with a broadbrush stroke.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
I think they're more than just accusations...the Dean of Women's office is not a friend to the women at Liberty in cases like these.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
I won't ever spread a rumor, but please, tell me everything, I love this stuff and will believe anything. Especially if it's negative and makes the school look really bad and contradictive. Now THAT makes for some good dorm stories.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
HenryGale wrote:Cover ups at LU...NEVER! :roll:
see it's this junk that I can't stand. I don't know why the culture at LU is to continually bag on your own school. I guess because it was just a short while ago, that we were basically having classes in a TRBC bathroom? I don't know, but nowhere have I ever seen such a lack of school pride. Nobody ever has anything substantial to bring to the table except for, I heard this and I heard that. and my buddy was a part of this and he swears it's true. It's the reason why we don't have a large number of proud alumnae, it's why people don't attend sporting events, and it's also a vicious cycle for more made up stories. Now I'm not nieve enough to think that crimes aren't commited on campus or maybe something shady has happened at some point in the school, but people act like the administration is just sitting up in their offices counting tuition payments and laughing at frequent rapes.
By FlameDad
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:I think they're more than just accusations...the Dean of Women's office is not a friend to the women at Liberty in cases like these.
What does that mean "not a friend to women"?
Are you saying they don't care if women are in harm's way?
Are you intimating that they habitually overlook assaults on women?
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
I'm not going to state publicly everything that goes on...but I know some of those who've been involved. Its not frequent by any means, but if you want to know my peronsal experience then PM me.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:to think that giant coverups aren't happening by wealthy parents because of poorly lit areas is ignorant?
No, but to think that things don't happen at LU is ignorant. And to think that negative things aren't covered up at LU is ignorant. We all know they happen. Do I know of a specific case of an assault being covered up? No. A lot of the stories at LU are far-fetched, but they all started somewhere. Most of the rumor have been twisted into magnificent stories of how donors covered things up, etc when in reality, that's not what happened probably. I'm sure there have been times where students have been encouraged to let the school handle things internally through reps, community service, etc instead of going to the police.
By 4everfsu
Registration Days Posts
Unless you know for a fact of a crime happening, then report it to authorities. If not, don't repeat stories that cannot be verified as actually happening. Sure bad things can happen at LU just like any other school but hearsay is nothing but people having too much time on their hands and not enough to keep them busy.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
When you were in school, there were like 12 people in the entire school. There's over 10,000 now. If you can't grasp that things happen at this school then I don't know what to tell you.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
You folks can believe what you want, but if you want to know where these rumors come from, PM me. You'll kick yourself for buying into them.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Like I said earlier, I don't think there are huge cover-ups or anything like that, but rather some "let us handle this in house" type issues.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
I'm just afraid we're getting away from the real issue, which is...

Quit parking in my parking spaces! :frustrated
By matshark
Registration Days Posts
um, its not hearsay when the information comes from a 1st person source. that's called historical fact. (if you want more info on that particular incident, PM me)

in addition, there were two assaults this past semester (within a month of each other) and nothing was even said to the girls in hall meeting. i asked a friend who works for LUPD what was up and he confirmed them for me. It wasn't until a reporter for WSET got to asking around that LUPD finally said something about it. (if you want more information on that - and there's a lot more to that story also - PM me)

for your reading interest...

http://www.wset.com/news/stories/0306/309301.html

Liberty's nice and all, but when you've grown up around it for 23+ years, you tend to find out dirty little secrets...
yes, students have made stories up before. i can remember one back in 1999 or 2000 that was made up involving a butter knife. (yes, i know, a butter knife... weapon of choice for hardened criminals) but the fact is that it doesn't take too much in the way of brains to filter the ones that are made up from the ones that have merit.

it's not that the administration has an open policy of not caring about or ignoring the students when stuff happens. but the fact of the matter is that stuff has a history of happening and the people that have done it have a history of not getting punished...

here's another interesting thing for you... the next time you are at the vines center, take a walk on the trail back behind it through the woods. you will come to a concrete spillway. its got a bunch of graffitti on it. there was supposed to be a nice little nature area with a lake right where the vines center is. (there's a huge drain pipe about 20 feet out from the spillway) there was a little incident back there and the plans for the nature area and the lake suddenly got canceled. hey, at least since they didnt build the lake they had a place to build the vines center a few years later.

oh and one more thing, there are a bunch of symbols spray painted on the spillway. if you walk down the front of it towards the railroad tracks and to the left you will see the symbol again. (looks like a big yellow sun) the metal pipe by it runs (or did run) all the way out to 460... the one across from it runs out to wards rd. (or did before all the construction - havent been back there in a couple years) kids used to sneak out using those things...lol apparently there was a little network of those things back in the day...

and yes, stop parking in LUconn's parking spots... we might all be subject to the terrible vengence from the north... (hillary campaign speeches)
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
You mean Scorcho's parking spots...and MINE...GRRR!!! (yes...I have a blue sticker).
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
matshark wrote:um, its not hearsay when the information comes from a 1st person source. that's called historical fact. (if you want more info on that particular incident, PM me)

in addition, there were two assaults this past semester (within a month of each other) and nothing was even said to the girls in hall meeting. i asked a friend who works for LUPD what was up and he confirmed them for me. It wasn't until a reporter for WSET got to asking around that LUPD finally said something about it. (if you want more information on that - and there's a lot more to that story also - PM me)

for your reading interest...

http://www.wset.com/news/stories/0306/309301.html

Liberty's nice and all, but when you've grown up around it for 23+ years, you tend to find out dirty little secrets...
yes, students have made stories up before. i can remember one back in 1999 or 2000 that was made up involving a butter knife. (yes, i know, a butter knife... weapon of choice for hardened criminals) but the fact is that it doesn't take too much in the way of brains to filter the ones that are made up from the ones that have merit.

it's not that the administration has an open policy of not caring about or ignoring the students when stuff happens. but the fact of the matter is that stuff has a history of happening and the people that have done it have a history of not getting punished...

here's another interesting thing for you... the next time you are at the vines center, take a walk on the trail back behind it through the woods. you will come to a concrete spillway. its got a bunch of graffitti on it. there was supposed to be a nice little nature area with a lake right where the vines center is. (there's a huge drain pipe about 20 feet out from the spillway) there was a little incident back there and the plans for the nature area and the lake suddenly got canceled. hey, at least since they didnt build the lake they had a place to build the vines center a few years later.

oh and one more thing, there are a bunch of symbols spray painted on the spillway. if you walk down the front of it towards the railroad tracks and to the left you will see the symbol again. (looks like a big yellow sun) the metal pipe by it runs (or did run) all the way out to 460... the one across from it runs out to wards rd. (or did before all the construction - havent been back there in a couple years) kids used to sneak out using those things...lol apparently there was a little network of those things back in the day...

and yes, stop parking in LUconn's parking spots... we might all be subject to the terrible vengence from the north... (hillary campaign speeches)
Oh yeah, I have heard about those pipes, they run to the bomb shelters under the resort in Wintergreen, WV. In addition to the entire Congress of the US, they made special provisions for the Falwell family to go there in case of a nuclear attack. Elvis and Abraham Lincoln also have a lifetime pass if they need to get there in a hurry.
By RagingTireFire
Registration Days Posts
Wow. After all these years, the "pipes" story is still getting play. The last I heard, the Warpigs couldn't use them anymore b/c they were full of giant black widow spiders.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
bomb shelters under the resort in Wintergreen, WV.
Wintergreen is in Nelson County, VA; you are confusing it with the Greenbrier Resort in White Sulpher Springs, WV. :dontgetit
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]