This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
Make that THREE OF US...
...but I get paid to have to listen to them.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Fumble, I thought you got paid for them to listen to YOU. :blahblah
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
and i pay to take a class with a prof that whines about the administration all the time....he wouldn't shut up about poor communication about this situation....i can't stand that man anymore.....
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts

Have you seen this person?

IF SO, CONTACT:
Captain G. Howard Gregory
Deputy Chief, Liberty University Police Department
(434) 592-3783
or call LUPD at 582-3911
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I thought he was wearing a mask.
By ToTheLeft
Registration Days Posts
Honestly, that looks like half of the guys on campus...

I can think of 2 or 3 guys that are exact matches.

None of them are suspects, however, because I don't think they'd do that, and have no reason to believe they would.

Maybe if I knew who the girl was, I would have a better idea, but that is private for now, I'm sure.

Kinda weird, tho, that she couldn't determine any info about him that night, but somehow now we have this sketch...

Like I said, this is a very non-descript drawing..
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
When I first saw this pictured I thought...man, that looks like half the freshmen guys on campus....its going to be tough to find this guy...

the girl's roommate is in one of my classes...and she said that she is doing fine and was actually back on campus today after staying with some family last night....prayers for her for sure...even though it was minor...i am sure she is shook up...
By ToTheLeft
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:When I first saw this pictured I thought...man, that looks like half the freshmen guys on campus....its going to be tough to find this guy...
funny, we said that same thing at the same time.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ToTheLeft wrote:Honestly, that looks like half of the guys on campus...

I can think of 2 or 3 guys that are exact matches.

None of them are suspects, however, because I don't think they'd do that, and have no reason to believe they would.

Maybe if I knew who the girl was, I would have a better idea, but that is private for now, I'm sure.

Kinda weird, tho, that she couldn't determine any info about him that night, but somehow now we have this sketch...

Like I said, this is a very non-descript drawing..
in the message on the splash page it says according to a witness...not the victim...so evidently there must be someone who saw more then they told the media....which is probably smart
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Hold My Own wrote:Question: Dont we have a new alert system? Wouldnt this be a reason to use it? I understand there was a basketball game going on but (judging by the crowd) there werent 1/6 of the total student body there so they were somewhere either on or around campus...

Again...does anyone know about this question?
By JDUB
Registration Days Posts
i agree. i'm not really sure what the alert system is for, i mean, hurricanes? cause the impression i got was for safety emergencies, and i'd say an armed assailant on the prowl is a safety emergency.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
i think the siren is for natural disasters...because in the test the voice said in a case of an actual emergency instructions would follow the siren as to where to go...if there is a violent person on campus the last thing you would want is them to know where they were telling all the students to go...

I know they are working on the text message thing...but i don't think that they can, by law, require students to give them their cell phone numbers....now I could be wrong...but i thought i read that somewhere recently....
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:i think the siren is for natural disasters...because in the test the voice said in a case of an actual emergency instructions would follow the siren as to where to go...if there is a violent person on campus the last thing you would want is them to know where they were telling all the students to go...
The siren has multiple messages that can be played, as well as the ability to record and broadcast messages on the fly. I believe the plan is to use it for multiple types of situations. I'm not sure what those all are, but that was my understanding when it was being setup and tested.
thepostman wrote:I know they are working on the text message thing...but i don't think that they can, by law, require students to give them their cell phone numbers....now I could be wrong...but i thought i read that somewhere recently...
I don't think they can/would require it, but they could certainly offer it as an optional service. Who wouldn't sign up for that?
By JDUB
Registration Days Posts
i heard from mulitiple people that the roommate of the girl said it was scissors, not a knife.

not sure if this is a rumor or not, but i find that interesting. what LUPD initially called a hand stabbing turning into a cut on the hand by a pair of scissors
By mrmacphisto
Registration Days Posts
She wouldn't be the first person in history to be stabbed by scissors.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
http://www.newsadvance.com/servlet/Sate ... 4148&path=

More news about the stabbing from the local fishwrap. Apparently, the guys used one of those yellow wet floor signs to keep the other women out of the bathroom, and the wound did require stitches:
The attack happened when a man approached the women’s restroom with a foldout wet floor sign, Godwin said. He set up the sign outside the women’s bathroom after the student walked inside, then slipped quietly inside and put on a ski mask. The victim, whose name is not being released, was in the bathroom stall when he entered, Godwin said.

“She had no idea that he had entered the room,” Godwin said.

The man forcefully entered the stall and moved to stab her. She raised her hands to defend herself and screamed. That’s when the man ran out, grabbed the wet floor sign and fled, Godwin said. The wet floor sign was found later in the stairwell...Godwin said she received stitches in her left hand.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:http://www.newsadvance.com/servlet/Sate ... 4148&path=

More news about the stabbing from the local fishwrap. Apparently, the guys used one of those yellow wet floor signs to keep the other women out of the bathroom, and the wound did require stitches:
The attack happened when a man approached the women’s restroom with a foldout wet floor sign, Godwin said. He set up the sign outside the women’s bathroom after the student walked inside, then slipped quietly inside and put on a ski mask. The victim, whose name is not being released, was in the bathroom stall when he entered, Godwin said.

“She had no idea that he had entered the room,” Godwin said.

The man forcefully entered the stall and moved to stab her. She raised her hands to defend herself and screamed. That’s when the man ran out, grabbed the wet floor sign and fled, Godwin said. The wet floor sign was found later in the stairwell...Godwin said she received stitches in her left hand.
I was just reading this article and noticed that it said that LUPD is comprised of 80 people. After that I was reading a story about the LPD police chief announcing his retirement this morning. In that article they said that the LPD is comprised of 200 people. One of those numbers seems out of whack to me.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
So when did Justin Timberlake enroll here anyway? Those Hollywood types think they can just do whatever they want. Drive drunk, do coke, stab girls in the hand with scissors.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
El Scorcho wrote:
thepostman wrote:i think the siren is for natural disasters...because in the test the voice said in a case of an actual emergency instructions would follow the siren as to where to go...if there is a violent person on campus the last thing you would want is them to know where they were telling all the students to go...
The siren has multiple messages that can be played, as well as the ability to record and broadcast messages on the fly. I believe the plan is to use it for multiple types of situations. I'm not sure what those all are, but that was my understanding when it was being setup and tested.
thepostman wrote:I know they are working on the text message thing...but i don't think that they can, by law, require students to give them their cell phone numbers....now I could be wrong...but i thought i read that somewhere recently...
I don't think they can/would require it, but they could certainly offer it as an optional service. Who wouldn't sign up for that?

I'm thinking a stabbing in a womans restroom falls under all of these...seriously...we have the technology now...we need to use it...and the texting service is the fastest way now a days.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
SCORCHO- both LUPD and LPD numbers seem a bit off.

Pure speculation here- they may be comparing apples to oranges. I don't believe all LUPD staff are sworn officers, so the number may actually be split between security officers and police officers. As for LPD- that number does seem a bit low. For the size of the city- I'd think you'd have a bit more, but again- that may just be street personnel and not count supervisors, etc ???

(as a comparison, Philly has about 6600 officers, and the suburban communities average about 60-100 officers each.)
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
HMO- good points, the problem is our overall philosophy of personal freedom in this country. (A GOOD THING)

its just nearly impossible to notify people when they wish to make themselves difficult to locate. As someone with nearly 20 years in Emergency Services, incl 5 in local Emergency Management- some people (many, in fact) value privacy over safety.

Those are the ones that refuse to give you names, numbers, locations, amounts in households- etc, and then BI%@$ and moan when something goes down and they were'nt aware of it. You just can't satisfy everyone. In these situations, you have to do the best you can without creating a public uproar. I would agree, however- that the use of the alerting system should be clarified.
By JDUB
Registration Days Posts
the lupd number is probably counting all the ticket writers they hired for this year
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
Dunno much about CSI but if they know he grabbed the handle of the wet floor sign and it was recovered within a few minutes of the incident, wouldn't it be safe to say that there are fingerprints?

i know it may be tough b/c others likely touched it. I also understand he could have had gloves if it was cooler in the burg. Just thinking out loud.
By Schfourteenteen
Registration Days Posts
Can you get fingerprints on that kind of plastic?

Anyway Im hearing there are about 50 suspects and 350 people who match the description, including my gf's ex who isnt an LU student :?
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
If they got fingerprints, it woudl have to match somebody who has been fingerprinted before. It's something to try I guess.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]