This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
There's a similar thread in The Chapel but since this is Central Virginia specific its not a bad idea.

I too am curious about where people attend (at least those that do, SJ :) ).
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I go to campus church when I wake up. Haven't really looked around for any other ones. I don't like going to your typical southern baptist service. It puts me to sleep. Sorry, I'm pentacostal. Johnnie Moore is interesting to me, plus the music is good at campus church. The music is my biggest thing.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Forest Baptist Church on 221.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
Berean Baptist
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
superjon - I don't like going to your typical southern baptist service. It puts me to sleep. Sorry, I'm pentacostal.
I agree that many of the SBC churches in Central Virginia don't have much flavor. That's strictly a matter of taste as far as I'm concerned as long as doctrine is in order. Although I think Scar might be able to hook you up with some Baptist churches in town where flavor is in great supply.

Down here in Texas there is a little more diversity in style amongst churches. About the only difference between services at our current SBC church and my wife's Assemblies of God home church a few miles away (that we also attend on a fairly regular basis) is the occasional tongues. Otherwise from a music and passion standpoint we are very comparable which is cool with me.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Well when I was at home in Farmville, it was Spring Creek Baptist, but since then I've changed to Riverside Community...here at LU I attend Hyland Heights Baptist, but this is probably my last year there, I've been wanting to check out Brentwood Community. As far as Campus Church goes...I went to high school with Jonnie Moore...and b/c I don't know how much he has or hasn't changed I won't bring up anything...lets just say there are a lot of us LCAers here at LU who get a bad taste in our mouths when he is mentioned.

That is all
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Ive started going to Heritage Baptist just off 501 here in town, but when Im at home I attend Calvary Revival Church in Norfolk, VA
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
ATrain, I've got him in class so I'd like to know what you're talking about.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
I just realized I forgot to mention my own home at the start of the thread. The wife and I attend Brentwood. I love it, but the church is most definitely a community church. It's centered around small groups and non-Sunday morning types of things. It's easy for students to come to Brentwood on Sunday mornings and walk away without getting involved. No problem with that, but if you want to be involved, just something to be aware of. That and the fact that the late service is completely packed out right now.
By - belcherboy -
El Scorcho wrote:I just realized I forgot to mention my own home at the start of the thread. The wife and I attend Brentwood. I love it, but the church is most definitely a community church. It's centered around small groups and non-Sunday morning types of things. It's easy for students to come to Brentwood on Sunday mornings and walk away without getting involved. No problem with that, but if you want to be involved, just something to be aware of. That and the fact that the late service is completely packed out right now.
I went to Brentwood right when it started. I attended one of the first few services and stayed until I left school in 2000. I thought it was fantastic, but seamed to uffer a little due to the heavy Liberty student attendance (summer vacation, breaks, etc.). Nice to see that is has grown! I was friends with the music guy (Nic) and a few others there.

I attend and work at the Gilead Baptist Church of Taylor, Michigan. Grew up there and now I am on staff.
By belcherboy
Registration Days Posts
For some reason it says I am logged in sometimes when I am not!! Oh well, it was my post above!! I should just change my screen name to guest, as I am always leaving posts without logging in!
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
Shenandoah Valley Baptist Church
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Living Word Baptist Church, off of Waterlick. Amazing growth going on there (at least for this area).
By Rocketfan
Registration Days Posts
I go to Blue Ridge Community church off 460 near london downs. We used to be in the old kroger on Old Forest Rd. i serve as a room leader for the 1-2 years olds.
NMSU

Just by looking into some highlights. The two forw[…]

CUSA Tournament Las Cruces, NM

Liberty will play winner of New Mexico State-Jacks[…]

LSU

Liberty 3 LSU 1, final. Escobar complete game win.[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

It certainly feels ridiculous to see some of these[…]