This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yes...lets shift blame to them instead of just taking responsibility for the lack of institutional control for so long. That has been LU's approach for years now...why change now?

The report in the Washington Post and USA Today did say that LU was working with the DOE based on improvements made and some inaccuracies stated in the report. Additionally, who is to say that the DOE leaked the report? The report was leaked within days of it being given to LU, including the board. The board has been known to leak things to Jr and to the press. That seems more likely...but who knows.

Regardless, this was the perfect moment for Costin to take a different approach/tone then Jr and Prevo took but it looks like it is much of the same. Very disappointing.
ATrain, k9saber liked this
By k9saber
ballcoach15 wrote: October 16th, 2023, 3:42 pm The Department of Education is just as liberal and sorry as all other departments in Washington.
I'll bite at your emotion driven worm - what's your response to evidentiary facts from the DOE investigation regarding LUPD malfeasance?
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
k9saber wrote: October 17th, 2023, 5:47 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: October 16th, 2023, 3:42 pm The Department of Education is just as liberal and sorry as all other departments in Washington.
I'll bite at your emotion driven worm - what's your response to evidentiary facts from the DOE investigation regarding LUPD malfeasance?
He’s not gunna answer that. He’ll never admit that Liberty is wrong about anything.
k9saber, ATrain liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Fox News wrote:Department of Education responds to Liberty University over claims they are trying to tarnish their image
Liberty University alleges the Education Department is threatening it with eight-figure fine over compliance

By Joshua Q. Nelson Fox News
Published October 18, 2023 4:00am EDT

The Department of Education (ED) on Tuesday responded to Liberty University after the nation’s most influential Christian academic institution accused them of trying to tarnish their image by leaking a Clery Act compliance report to the media.

While Liberty University is undergoing a program review by ED over their Clery Act compliance results, they accused the department of unfair treatment after being hit with an unprecedented fine and a preliminary report was leaked to the Washington Post before they could build a case against it. The preliminary report paints a picture that the university covered up serious sexual assault incidents and underreported campus crime statistics to preserve a clean image.

An ED official replied to Fox News Digital with a statement aimed at Liberty University's accusation.
Click Here for Full Story
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
This isn't a defense of LU, but what Costin is speaking of isn't unheard of.

https://thefederalist.com/2023/10/05/ch ... epartment/
The largest Christian university in America is charging the Department of Education with undue political persecution over the school’s non-profit status.

On Thursday, Grand Canyon University released a statement outlining how the Education Department is colluding with partner federal agencies to “bring harm” to the private institution.

“Government officials associated with the U.S. Department of Education (ED), Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and under the authority of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) are coordinating efforts to unjustly target GCU in what appears to be retaliation for the university filing an ongoing lawsuit against ED regarding its nonprofit status,” read a university press release. “While such accusations may sound extraordinary, the facts in this document make clear that this is occurring at an alarming level for government agencies to be taking against the largest Christian university in the country.”
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
For those that hadn't seen the David French Op-Ed in the NY Times:

By LU 57
Not sure what happened to David French. I used to enjoy reading his stuff. Of all of the bad stuff happening in higher ed he is going to focus on LU? Really? Brutal.

I am not defending those who covered up assault allegations but the “worst scandal in higher ed”? Give me a break.
LUOrange liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Can you name a worse one off the top of your head?

I found the article, and after reading it I found it to be more mild and balanced than I expected.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Yeah. Harvard. 37 student groups, including profs and administrators, blaming Israel for the unspeakable atrocities committed against Israel, particularly women, children, infants in the most gruesome and unimaginable manner. So, that would be the higher-education scandal facing the broader culture.

A coalition of influential Harvard grads publicly denounced its activists, enablers and leaders as “intellectually weak” and “morally repugnant.”
LU 57, LUOrange, jmclaughlin liked this
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
From a cultural perspective, yeah that's a scandal. We have a lot more terrorist sympathizers in the US than I'm comfortable with. I loathe David French more than any pundit around. For some reason, he gets his giggles by running around bashing Christians/Conservatives (despite claiming to be one) in an attempt to elevate himself as a principled/moral authority. He does this with a straight face, while still defending GW Bush and the Iraq War.

That being said, we have issues. We made ourselves a target by being "politically incorrect" and going against the grain of higher education, while laying claim to being the world's largest Evangelical (as if that makes us more authentic) Christian University. LU's "leadership" exposed all of us to claims of hypocrisy and grifting in the name of Christ. The fact that the people that did many of these things STILL work at the university should alarm everyone.
rmiller1959, ATrain, Baybird and 1 others liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Here's my thing, have there been worse scandals?? Probably. But who cares? This is bad and continues go not he dealt with the way it should. With a new president it gave the school a chance to start fresh but instead we are blaming the DOE for leaking the report without a shred of evidence. Take responsibility for it and find a way to get the board members who have been asleep at the wheel to move on.

If it's Christian, it ought to be better.
rmiller1959, ATrain, k9saber and 1 others liked this
By LU 57
JK37 wrote: October 25th, 2023, 7:03 am Can you name a worse one off the top of your head?

I found the article, and after reading it I found it to be more mild and balanced than I expected.
Penn St/Sandusky, Michigan/Anderson, Michigan State/Nasser.
LUOrange liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Is this “scandal” even on the mainstream radar? It will be interesting to see what materializes. LU is guilty of what? Technicalities or something bigger? Or maybe, we’re all just guilty of guilt in the most kafkaesque way?
Last edited by paradox on October 26th, 2023, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
LU 57 wrote: October 25th, 2023, 1:40 pm
JK37 wrote: October 25th, 2023, 7:03 am Can you name a worse one off the top of your head?

Penn St/Sandusky, Michigan/Anderson, Michigan State/Nasser.
Who is the Sandusky/Nassar of Liberty?

At LU, this wasn’t a one-man thing. I’m just playing devil’s advocate.
k9saber liked this
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I feel like when the folks with an interest in the school are playing a game of "try-to-think-of-a-worse-scandal" we're in a dark hole.
thepostman, Sly Fox, Baybird liked this
By LU 57
I hear you. I am just sick of the Liberty bashing. 99.999% of the LU community had nothing to do with these issues.
LUOrange liked this
By k9saber
LU 57 wrote:I hear you. I am just sick of the Liberty bashing. 99.999% of the LU community had nothing to do with these issues.
I agree with your assessment of the LU community. Here's a wide lens experience based perspective - I travel around the state of Virginia frequently working in the public safety lanes. The "stereotype" of LU is this in all areas - a family owned operation that has used "Christianity" as a cover to run a business making tons of money. Sadly, the corruption hides the amazing people that are behind the LU curtain. That's a variable that none of us can control - it simply is what it is. One more item of note - SOR folks can be assured that what's coming has been investigated and is rooted deeply in evidence & facts - will some still stick their Flame heads in the sand & continue with their cognitive dissonance? Yep - but that will never change the truth.
cruzan_flame13 liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
So, I would guess that since most of us don’t possess the “wider lens of the Virginia public safety lanes,” we’ll just have to wait and see, and ultimately draw our own conclusions, at the proper time.
By Whatisthetruth
k9saber wrote: October 25th, 2023, 9:45 pm
LU 57 wrote:I hear you. I am just sick of the Liberty bashing. 99.999% of the LU community had nothing to do with these issues.
I agree with your assessment of the LU community. Here's a wide lens experience based perspective - I travel around the state of Virginia frequently working in the public safety lanes. The "stereotype" of LU is this in all areas - a family owned operation that has used "Christianity" as a cover to run a business making tons of money. Sadly, the corruption hides the amazing people that are behind the LU curtain. That's a variable that none of us can control - it simply is what it is. One more item of note - SOR folks can be assured that what's coming has been investigated and is rooted deeply in evidence & facts - will some still stick their Flame heads in the sand & continue with their cognitive dissonance? Yep - but that will never change the truth.
I believe this hammers home a key point – we are talking about primarily upper level executives and the BOT.
The DOE issue is the result of a purposeful and coordinated cover up effort by school leaders, and that is why the proposed fine is so large. Some of these individuals are no longer employed and some are still at the school. They all have various levels of culpability ranging from active participant to shove their head in the sand and ignore what was going on.
Likewise, BOT members had various levels of knowledge and culpability. For example, one current member’s actions resulted in a payout to a female employee for sexual harassment. Others knew something was wrong and never asked questions, others participated in the removal of BOT members who were asking questions. In another case the BOT member was actively out partying with former employees.
99% of LU employees were not involved. This is the duality of the university at this moment – those who know and participated and those who caught up in the stink they created.
k9saber liked this
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
I have serious questions about the lone Falwell still standing. At this point, he's at the top of both of the main organizations that his father created. His brother clearly used the "Christian" moniker as a tool to gain influence and grow his profile while he was in control of LU. Sure, he did some good things while he was there, but given a choice between LU's reputation as a center for Christian higher learning or a healthy balance sheet and pretty buildings, I'd choose the former every time. As Solomon wrote, "A good name is to be chosen rather than riches." Right now, the university and by extension everything else connected to the Falwell's are being dragged through the mud. Either come out forcefully and address the issues or get the h*** out of the way and let someone else do it.

Maybe this is happening without me knowing it, and if so, I support it. Personally speaking, if it were me in those shoes right now there would be some righteous anger happening. Some tables need to be flipped over and some individuals need to be tossed out. Only then will the damage being done to the 99% of the people that are doing good work be stopped.
By k9saber
paradox wrote: October 26th, 2023, 10:27 am So, I would guess that since most of us don’t possess the “wider lens of the Virginia public safety lanes,” we’ll just have to wait and see, and ultimately draw our own conclusions, at the proper time.
I guess so.

I would highly recommend a deep dose of discernment - as opposed to confirmation bias in an LU bubble wrap. CB is another major contributing factor for all the years of this dysfunction to operate at the levels it did.
By k9saber
Humble_Opinion wrote: October 26th, 2023, 11:46 am I have serious questions about the lone Falwell still standing. At this point, he's at the top of both of the main organizations that his father created. His brother clearly used the "Christian" moniker as a tool to gain influence and grow his profile while he was in control of LU. Sure, he did some good things while he was there, but given a choice between LU's reputation as a center for Christian higher learning or a healthy balance sheet and pretty buildings, I'd choose the former every time. As Solomon wrote, "A good name is to be chosen rather than riches." Right now, the university and by extension everything else connected to the Falwell's are being dragged through the mud. Either come out forcefully and address the issues or get the h*** out of the way and let someone else do it.

Maybe this is happening without me knowing it, and if so, I support it. Personally speaking, if it were me in those shoes right now there would be some righteous anger happening. Some tables need to be flipped over and some individuals need to be tossed out. Only then will the damage being done to the 99% of the people that are doing good work be stopped.
Solid wisdom. if the "lone Falwell" called a presser right now and stated:

"We have gotten some serious matters wrong for a long time that has resulted in a lot of trauma for a lot of people. For years we operated in a way that seemed right to us - but it wasn't right. I am publicly apologizing for the years of malfeasance and wrongdoing at a place that invokes the name of Jesus Christ; He hasn't failed, we have failed. Moving forward, we accept responsibility for our willful actions and we will become a model of a higher ed institution that seeks to do the right thing - as we continue to honor the Name of Christ. We have dishonored Him for far too long."

These statements would turn the secular world on its head - and communicate a powerful message of righteous accountability.

Now - back to reality.
thepostman liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It is not that simple. The folks who probably need to thrown out of the temple were some of the closest friends of Jonathan's dad. These are men that were perceived to be close family friends who defended Doc against all comers back in the day. It puts Jonathan in a very uncomfortbale position setting aside all of the rest of the family drama.
Purple Haize, Baybird liked this
Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]