This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

In the category of "You can't make this up" ...
Globe NewsWire wrote:Dr. Jerry L. Falwell Family Trust Sues Liberty University over Unauthorized Use of Dr. Falwell’s Trademark, Name and Image

July 28, 2023 12:51 ET
| Source: Dr. Jerry L. Falwell Family Trust

LYNCHBURG, Va., July 28, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Jerry Falwell, Jr. announced today that Liberty University is being sued on behalf of the Dr. Jerry L. Falwell Family Trust, of which he is a trustee and beneficiary. Upon his passing in 2007, Dr. Falwell left his intellectual property in the Trust for the benefit of his children. The lawsuit alleges that Liberty has wrongfully exploited Dr. Falwell’s name and image, and the “Jerry Falwell” trademark, by using them without permission or license to create a false association with the Jerry Falwell brand and the impression that Liberty’s use of Dr. Falwell’s intellectual property is authorized, when it is not.

“Liberty announced it is spending approximately $35 million of student tuition money on an ostentatious Disneyesque shrine, including an interactive hologram,” Falwell, Jr. said. “I asked the University to stop improperly using my father’s intellectual property and sent the University leadership a proposed license agreement that would cover the Jerry Falwell Center, assuming there was meaningful consultation with the family about the use of my father’s intellectual property. Unfortunately, they chose to continue using it without authorization, and in an undignified manner that seems to attempt to aggrandize and deify my father in a fawning way that he would never have wanted or approved. It really is the ‘Jerry First Center’ blatantly ignoring the fact that my father was known for producing millions of ‘Jesus First’ lapel pins free of charge for anyone to wear.”
Click here for Full Release
At this point, it probably is time to turn away from the Falwell name, even though to do so will ruin all that Sr. did to make his university a reality.

It's also a lesson in how one family member can ruin an entire legacy.
flamehunter, Ill flame liked this
prototype wrote: July 28th, 2023, 2:27 pm :dontgetit

Why????? This is not what his dad would want...
I don't really think that matters to Jr anymore. I think he's more interested in sticking it to LU in whatever way he can for the rest of his life. It's what people who don't accept resonsibility for their own actions do.
Purple Haize, Just John liked this
flamehunter wrote: July 28th, 2023, 3:15 pm
prototype wrote: July 28th, 2023, 2:27 pm :dontgetit

Why????? This is not what his dad would want...
I don't really think that matters to Jr anymore. I think he's more interested in sticking it to LU in whatever way he can for the rest of his life. It's what people who don't accept resonsibility for their own actions do.
Probably true, but also true is Jr’s statement. I don’t think SR would even want his name on the library. Make it the Moral Majority Museum or something and pay a license fee for Falwell’ speeches/sermons/likeness to his Trust.
jbock13 wrote: July 28th, 2023, 2:44 pm At this point, it probably is time to turn away from the Falwell name, even though to do so will ruin all that Sr. did to make his university a reality.

It's also a lesson in how one family member can ruin an entire legacy.
No it won’t. Nothing could do that, despite JJ’s best efforts.
Just John liked this
I would imagine they are beneficiaries of the trust along with jr but that jr is the trustee, being he is a lawyer and sr did not forsee him going off the deep end. That's what makes this kinda funny.

But really not knowing any of the details of what trademarks, IP, etc exist he might have a legit point. Which in itself is kinda gross on all fronts. Should be entertaining to watch it play out.
JK37 liked this
thepostman wrote: July 30th, 2023, 10:48 pm Didn't Jr start the brainstorming for this thing anyways? I mean the whole thing is a bad idea but I'm not sure Jr has a foot to stand on here.
The original Jerry Falwell museum was a gift by Jerry Jr and Jonathan to Jerry Sr, while Sr was still alive, and located in a good sized room off to the side of the Grand Lobby in DeMoss. The whole lawsuit seems...ridiculous, in my opinion.
flameshaw wrote: July 31st, 2023, 7:07 am All this suit does is solidify the fact that Jr. was not wholly committed to LU but to JFJr. His major focus was taking care of himself. Very sad.
I suspect the new president will do a lot to try and distance Jr's regime from the present day LU, and rightly so.
It will be a challenge to entirely separate Jr and keep Sr, and JJ knows it. This is legal snark of the lowest order.
WSET wrote:A battle between brothers emerges over lawsuit between LU and Falwell family trust

by Caitlyn Frolo
Wed, August 23rd 2023, 10:55 AM CDT

LYNCHBURG, Va. (WSET) — A new twist in the legal battle between Liberty University and former president Jerry Falwell Jr.

Now, Jerry Jr. wants to stop-limit his brother Jonathan’s authority as a co-trustee of their father’s family trust.

This all stems from a lawsuit filed last month between Dr. Jerry L. Falwell's family trust and Liberty University.
Click Here for Full Story

If you want to see the lawsuit itself:

Click Here

Not a good look at all. And my next question, is why was Jeannie not a trustee?
THE LATEST -

According to court documents, not long after Jerry's Original Complaint, the other two beneficiaries of the Family Trust - Jonathan and Jeannie Falwell - elected to remove him as co-trustee on September 6, leaving Jonathan Falwell as the only Trustee.

https://wset.com/news/local/jerry-falwe ... tober-2023
Election 2022 and 2024

Then he went on to win 49 out of 50 states.

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]