This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Veritas
As a diversion from politics in the other thread, I thought I’d ask a question about a slightly less controversial topic … dancing on campus. See attached image—is this really a policy? I know Baptists etc but I understand the music code and dress code have been significantly loosened up since my time on the mountain in the 1990s. Can any locals with current knowledge of campus policies chime in?

Last edited by Veritas on April 22nd, 2023, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Well Jen has an M.A. so she’s obviously smart
Veritas, Baybird liked this
By AATL
Veritas wrote: April 21st, 2023, 2:11 pm As a diversion from politics in the other thread, I thought ask a question about a slightly less controversial topic … dancing on campus. See attached image—is this really a policy? I know Baptists etc but I understand the music code and dress code have been significantly loosened up since my time on the mountain in the 1990s. Can any locals with current knowledge of campus policies chime in?
Yes, pretty sure this is a current policy. I think it's even technically worth points and/or a fine in the Liberty Way. Music and dress policies are significantly lighter than in years past, but student dances/dancing are still a no-go.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Can thank Prevo for that. He wants to make Liberty another BJU with all the rule changes he’s been making.

At this rate I’m sure we’re going to dismember the cheer and dance squad.
badger74 liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I know this is still technically a rule but I never saw it actually enforced...that was more years ago now than I'd like to admit...
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
It's ridiculous that this is still a rule. David danced before the Ark of the Covenant, and I am sure there was dancing in addition to the drinking of the Lord's wine at the wedding where Jesus performed his first miracle.
By LU 57
My daughter is an RA and she confirmed this is true. She said their formal was before this guidance😉
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Yet another reason why Prevo needs to go the sooner the better. The last vestiges of Fundy influence had nearly dissipated until Prevo rescued us all from dancing in single sex dorm hallways. :roll:
flameshaw, ballah09, Just John and 3 others liked this
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Confusing messaging at best. We have the dance team that performs at football and basketball games that would feel at home at an NBA arena (albeit more conservative outfits) but then say kids can't dance. I've seen "dance" events/competitions and practices noted in The Champion over the last several years, including cultural (I don't mean ballet). I assume they still bring in musical artists/bands that include backup dancers. :dontgetit

Free the dance. :wink:
badger74 liked this
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: April 21st, 2023, 5:29 pm Yet another reason why Prevo needs to go the sooner the better. The last vestiges of Fundy influence had nearly dissipated until Prevo rescued us all from dancing in single sex dorm hallways. :roll:
I believe this was a condition for him to accept and continue to claim his doctorate from Hyles-Anderson. :lol:
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote: April 21st, 2023, 9:15 pm
Sly Fox wrote: April 21st, 2023, 5:29 pm Yet another reason why Prevo needs to go the sooner the better. The last vestiges of Fundy influence had nearly dissipated until Prevo rescued us all from dancing in single sex dorm hallways. :roll:
I believe this was a condition for him to accept and continue to claim his doctorate from Hyles-Anderson. :lol:
A degree from HAC is as worthless as a screen door on a submarine. True story: they gave a degree to JR Rice's horse and the horse decided to take a dump on stage. He even knew what it was worth.
I worked at a Fortune 100 company, and anytime we saw a BJ degree, it was quickly put into the circular file.
By LU 57
TH Spangler wrote: April 21st, 2023, 7:48 pm Are we talking about waltzing or twerking. Nothing wrong with a few rules :lol:
My take is very tame dancing at these formals.…
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Veritas wrote: April 21st, 2023, 2:11 pm As a diversion from politics in the other thread, I thought ask a question about a slightly less controversial topic … dancing on campus.
My nomination for Post of the Year! :pbjtime
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: April 21st, 2023, 4:09 pm It's ridiculous that this is still a rule. David danced before the Ark of the Covenant, and I am sure there was dancing in addition to the drinking of the Lord's wine at the wedding where Jesus performed his first miracle.
He also danced naked. Not sure we wanna emulate that. :D
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 7:54 am
ATrain wrote: April 21st, 2023, 4:09 pm It's ridiculous that this is still a rule. David danced before the Ark of the Covenant, and I am sure there was dancing in addition to the drinking of the Lord's wine at the wedding where Jesus performed his first miracle.
He also danced naked. Not sure we wanna emulate that. :D
I plead the fifth on whether or not that was a regular thing when I lived on the Hill
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Keep your hill shenanigans to yourself!!!

I'll plead the 5th on circle shenanigans...the kids today in the circle high rise dorms have no idea the history those buildings lie on :lol:
ATrain liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 7:45 am
Veritas wrote: April 21st, 2023, 2:11 pm As a diversion from politics in the other thread, I thought ask a question about a slightly less controversial topic … dancing on campus.
My nomination for Post of the Year! :pbjtime
I had the same thought. No way that topic isn’t highly controversial.
By LU 57
If there was any naked dancing on the hill when I was there I was blissfully unaware.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 8:33 am Keep your hill shenanigans to yourself!!!

I'll plead the 5th on circle shenanigans...the kids today in the circle high rise dorms have no idea the history those buildings lie on :lol:
We all heard about what happened in the circle during PL meetings. East Campus was far more tame than either one.
thepostman liked this
By AATL
Perhaps this thread has jinxed something, as there are now "Anti-Dancing Rule Protest" flyers hanging around the campus.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Seems like the same incident that incited this thread incited the protests. Don’t give yourselves too much credit :lol:
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hoc[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]