This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Veritas
Good to see my Governor on the stage at Liberty this morning. It felt like he was ready to announce he is formally running for President near the end of his speech :)

I appreciated his inclusion of core elements that were (and hopefully still *are*) the bedrock of our republic, such as natural rights. Whether the populace as a whole still appreciates that certain rights are granted from God and not government is up for debate.

Gov. DeSantis is driving an ambitious legislative agenda unlike any I've seen in the nearly 25 years I've been involved in the legislative process, including my time working for Jeb Bush. Some may say the policies are being implemented too quickly, too aggressively, and that he is out of step with public opinion. But no one can accuse him of a lack of vision and bold leadership.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote: April 14th, 2023, 3:08 pm He's a joke of a governor and pretty anti-American if you look at the policies he tries to push. Him and his ilk are a better fit in a place like North Korea.
:lol: Predictable response.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
I don't agree with Youngkin on everything but he's doing a better job. DeSantis sure gets headlines with his culture war fight, but his brand of "conservatism" (I put it in quotes on purpose) is not the brand that made me register as Republican many years ago.

His policies are nearly all built on straw man arguments instead of reality. Whether my leadership has an R or D next to their name, I prefer they govern from reality.

Many of the policies we're seeing from him and the far right in general are the common types of things you'd see in countries with far more government control over folks than I prefer.

Any government leader that uses policy to punish dissenting opinions is not a good leader and isn't worthy of office. Like I said, it's what happens in places like North Korea and that's not an environment where I'd want to live.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Veritas wrote: April 14th, 2023, 11:26 am Good to see my Governor on the stage at Liberty this morning. It felt like he was ready to announce he is formally running for President near the end of his speech :)

I appreciated his inclusion of core elements that were (and hopefully still *are*) the bedrock of our republic, such as natural rights. Whether the populace as a whole still appreciates that certain rights are granted from God and not government is up for debate.

Gov. DeSantis is driving an ambitious legislative agenda unlike any I've seen in the nearly 25 years I've been involved in the legislative process, including my time working for Jeb Bush. Some may say the policies are being implemented too quickly, too aggressively, and that he is out of step with public opinion. But no one can accuse him of a lack of vision and bold leadership.
I'm still on the fence with DeSantis. Mentioning Bush in a post ment to promote him doesn't help his case with me. The Bush's not only allowed the mess we're in now, Bush Sr was a key player.

viewtopic.php?p=653302&sid=47f0e5c7baee ... e3#p653302
By Veritas
TH Spangler wrote: April 14th, 2023, 4:45 pm
Veritas wrote: April 14th, 2023, 11:26 am Good to see my Governor on the stage at Liberty this morning. It felt like he was ready to announce he is formally running for President near the end of his speech :)

I'm still on the fence with DeSantis. Mentioning Bush in a post ment to promote him doesn't help his case with me. The Bush's not only allowed the mess we're in now, Bush Sr was a key player.

viewtopic.php?p=653302&sid=47f0e5c7baee ... e3#p653302
Jeb Bush during his years as Florida Governor was highly effective in reforming Florida’s education system, among other positives. What came later is a different story. I only mention him to contextualize the rapid pace of change happening in this state. It’s unprecedented. I don’t agree with all of the means and all of the ends with the current Governor but that is politics, a messy endeavor even if the most well intentioned is in charge.

Many of us involved in Florida politics for the past two decades use Jeb as a reference point for an effective executive leader, regardless of the policy merits. I’m don’t love at all what happened under the federal level under the same name.
Last edited by Veritas on April 14th, 2023, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TH Spangler liked this
By Veritas
Yacht Rock wrote: April 14th, 2023, 4:38 pm I don't agree with Youngkin on everything but he's doing a better job. DeSantis sure gets headlines with his culture war fight, but his brand of "conservatism" (I put it in quotes on purpose) is not the brand that made me register as Republican many years ago.

His policies are nearly all built on straw man arguments instead of reality. Whether my leadership has an R or D next to their name, I prefer they govern from reality.

Many of the policies we're seeing from him and the far right in general are the common types of things you'd see in countries with far more government control over folks than I prefer.

Any government leader that uses policy to punish dissenting opinions is not a good leader and isn't worthy of office. Like I said, it's what happens in places like North Korea and that's not an environment where I'd want to live.
Specifically, abortion? Transgender issues? Disney fight? Universal school choice? Allowed curriculum (particularly K-5)? Goodness, now that I’ve listed all that has transpired in the last year, it’s obvious there are many to choose from.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Increasing control at the state-level over all levels of education (not just K-5) education and his response to Disney are two big issues in my book. Using the government as a tool to suppress is terrible leadership. I mean, if that's your thing, cool, I get why you support him. That's just not the government I want to elect, regardless of the letter behind their name.
Just John, rmiller1959 liked this
By Veritas
Yacht Rock wrote: April 14th, 2023, 5:31 pm Increasing control at the state-level over all levels of education (not just K-5) education and his response to Disney are two big issues in my book. Using the government as a tool to suppress is terrible leadership. I mean, if that's your thing, cool, I get why you support him. That's just not the government I want to elect, regardless of the letter behind their name.
Bit of a canard to suggest suppressing dissent is a reason for support. For some, maybe, but that’s definitely not my bag.

I support him over what we could have had—Andrew Gillum would have been an absolute disaster. And yet, I don’t agree with everything and you’ve hit upon the two issues that are beginning to generate some grumbling from Republicans. At the same time, I support universal school choice, rooting out corrosive equity departments in public education, and placing significant impediments before a minor may seek a sex change.

I’m a fan of Youngkin too, although I don’t think we’ve seen the outer bounds of his policy preferences with a divided Assembly. What would he do (or be tempted to do) with a super majority in the House and Senate as in Florida? (And a 20 point margin of victory in the general)
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Oh, a lot of things happen with a majority in both executive and legislative branches.

I generally think states with split houses are run better because they are forced to govern more from the middle.

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve appreciated when elected leaders recognize they represent the entirety of their population, not just their hard core supporters. Elections have consequences, but even if the losing side only receives 20% of the vote, they’re still your citizens with their hopes, dreams, and values and shouldn’t be dismissed out of hand.

I can’t stand it when the left does this and I can’t stand it when the right does it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
A quick Google search shows the population of Florida increasing at a far greater rate than N Korea. So he’s gotta be doing something right :D

I don’t know much about his fight with Disney. I know Disney has had a sweetheart deal from the State since the beginning
I a big fan of his legislative agenda. Putting education back in the hands of parents is always a good thing in my book. Parents working with schools is a big deal. So school choice is a 100% yes from me. Seems solid on the 2nd Amendment Taxes and smaller government. I’m sure there are a few items I not thrilled with but what legislative agenda does?
I would love him over Trump and it’s an absolute no brainer yes over any of the 3 (Biden Harris Newsome) the Democrats will run.
By Veritas
Yacht Rock wrote: April 14th, 2023, 6:11 pm Oh, a lot of things happen with a majority in both executive and legislative branches.

I generally think states with split houses are run better because they are forced to govern more from the middle.

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve appreciated when elected leaders recognize they represent the entirety of their population, not just their hard core supporters. Elections have consequences, but even if the losing side only receives 20% of the vote, they’re still your citizens with their hopes, dreams, and values and shouldn’t be dismissed out of hand.

I can’t stand it when the left does this and I can’t stand it when the right does it.
I’m with you on that. I don’t think a high concentration of power is healthy for democracy regardless of which team is in power.
By Veritas
Purple Haize wrote: April 14th, 2023, 6:13 pm A quick Google search shows the population of Florida increasing at a far greater rate than N Korea. So he’s gotta be doing something right :D

I don’t know much about his fight with Disney. I know Disney has had a sweetheart deal from the State since the beginning
I a big fan of his legislative agenda. Putting education back in the hands of parents is always a good thing in my book. Parents working with schools is a big deal. So school choice is a 100% yes from me. Seems solid on the 2nd Amendment Taxes and smaller government. I’m sure there are a few items I not thrilled with but what legislative agenda does?
I would love him over Trump and it’s an absolute no brainer yes over any of the 3 (Biden Harris Newsome) the Democrats will run.
Relative to all of the other theme parks, it absolutely was a sweetheart deal. Now as to the proximity of revoking their special district and Disney leadership criticizing the state over a certain bill, well …
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
I was glad to see Youngkin tell Ford to take a hike when they tried running cover for China's CATL, so they could grab government subsidies and set up on Virginia's most valuable megasite 45 miles south of Lynchburg.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
He was clear that’s why he did it. It’s not just suspected. The deal was good for the Orlando area as well. It took a lot of pressure off of local government to facilitate the infrastructure of a massive theme park.

He’s a perfect example of using the long arm of the government to enforce cancel culture.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Veritas wrote: April 14th, 2023, 6:19 pm
Purple Haize wrote: April 14th, 2023, 6:13 pm A quick Google search shows the population of Florida increasing at a far greater rate than N Korea. So he’s gotta be doing something right :D

Relative to all of the other theme parks, it absolutely was a sweetheart deal. Now as to the proximity of revoking their special district and Disney leadership criticizing the state over a certain bill, well …
It seems according to this article not a whole lot changed. The Board or whatever that oversees Disney’s area doesn’t seem to have power. Not sure what/why the purpose. Although it’s unfortunate they can’t build a nuclear plant there. Disney uses a LOT of power

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... h-desantis

This guy seems to be an upset investor and disgruntled former employee. But from a business standpoint he makes a lot of sense!

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ousted-d ... 43030.html
By Veritas
Purple Haize wrote: April 14th, 2023, 8:00 pm
Veritas wrote: April 14th, 2023, 6:19 pm

It seems according to this article not a whole lot changed. The Board or whatever that oversees Disney’s area doesn’t seem to have power. Not sure what/why the purpose. Although it’s unfortunate they can’t build a nuclear plant there. Disney uses a LOT of power

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... h-desantis

This guy seems to be an upset investor and disgruntled former employee. But from a business standpoint he makes a lot of sense!

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ousted-d ... 43030.html
Don’t believe the press, especially the LA Times. Three significant changes—no Florida building code exemption, no Florida fire prevention code exemption, and no exemption from state regulatory reviews. Disney didn’t give up these benefits willingly and in fact made last minute transfers of development rights from the new board to Disney to preserve autonomy.

As to the bill that Disney opined on, Disney and its nut job allies in the press were 100% wrong on the policy. Most had no concept of what the bill actually said or the very real examples that led to its enactment.

That being said, I am in no way justifying the revocation of the district power because of ignorant Disney execs shooting off their mouth about a bill they intentionally mischaracterized.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, I know the bill in question has been seriously mislabeled and explained. But that’s par for the course.
Even after reading up some I’m not sure where I stand but I generally lean towards business. So unless something was going on specific to the revocations I’m not sure I’m a fan
Veritas liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
The Disney thing is personal. If Disney had stood up for some sort of republican platform then DeSantis wouldn't care. That is all its about and its all the republican party has turned into.

Democrats are the party of identity politics and the Republicans are the party of the culture wars. Both parties are using the government to overstep and anybody who stands up against this is viewed as the problem.

I also don't think DeSantis runs anyways. Trump will ruin him politically like he did to Jeb. So he can continue his weird culture wars crusade. It'll get him the attention he loves. While in reality Florida remains incredibly mediocre in almost every measurable category. If Florida didn't have nice beaches nobody would want to move there (see, i agree with Trump sometimes 😀). It's what will bring me back once I retire 😆
ATrain liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I dunno about Trump ruining DeSantis politically. He’s not Jeb! But he can attract those who liked Jeb! and those who want a lot of Trumps policies without the drama.
By Tothehoopyall1
Trump is not getting the boon many thought he would get after this indictment thing. If he wins the nomination He will get killed in a general election (even against uncle Joe). When will people wake up and see this for what it is. The dude did some great things in office but he couldn't get out of his freaking way at times. I would vote for Desantis in a heart beat. The guy leads the right way and gets things done. Florida is BOOMING because of his leadership. The facts speak for themselves.
ballcoach15 liked this
By tyndal23
Yacht Rock wrote: April 14th, 2023, 6:11 pm Oh, a lot of things happen with a majority in both executive and legislative branches.

The Left NEVER does this and the Right always caves when they have the majority ( due to Marxist Media pressure & good old bribes ). Both have sold us down the river to Globalism - the left is just far better at it and has had all the media support and now $ Billionaire technocrat support with most of the remaining corporations operating out of fear )and jumping on the equity/climate ESG bandwagon to stay non controversial ( and keep their bank accounts safe) Trump accelerated the public wake up call about the water starting to boil - deep state,media, and now Big Corp/Big Banks ( reviled by the left until recently ) all joined forces to beat the Orange Man and he walked right in to it. I have little patience for the Yacht Rocks of this world - wake the F up. The old right vs left “govern from the middle” went out the window - it is a fight at every level ( now down to WA state passing “ take kids away from parents who oppose a Child’s desire for sex change”. ) The Left abuses every seat of power down to the lowest government/ school board position and gets a pass. Either you are a godless Marxist or you aren’t. Sorry - fence sitters are the first to oars the trains to “camp”.
LUOrange liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: April 15th, 2023, 12:58 am
The Left NEVER does this and the Right always caves when they have the majority ( due to Marxist Media pressure & good old bribes ). Both have sold us down the river to Globalism - the left is just far better at it and has had all the media support and now $ Billionaire technocrat support with most of the remaining corporations operating out of fear )and jumping on the equity/climate ESG bandwagon to stay non controversial ( and keep their bank accounts safe) Trump accelerated the public wake up call about the water starting to boil - deep state,media, and now Big Corp/Big Banks ( reviled by the left until recently ) all joined forces to beat the Orange Man and he walked right in to it. I have little patience for the Yacht Rocks of this world - wake the F up. The old right vs left “govern from the middle” went out the window - it is a fight at every level ( now down to WA state passing “ take kids away from parents who oppose a Child’s desire for sex change”. ) The Left abuses every seat of power down to the lowest government/ school board position and gets a pass. Either you are a godless Marxist or you aren’t. Sorry - fence sitters are the first to oars the trains to “camp”.
Amen to all.

HW Bush thought we could rule the global government. Foolish thinking. That's going to the antichrist.

We are looking at a come to Jesus moment in time. This gets fixed only when the great I Am arrives on His white horse. 🙏
LUOrange liked this
Longwood

Liberty wins 9-3. Roupe 2 homers, 4 RBI. Jesse hom[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

He’s the exception to the rule. Opposing […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]