This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
The only Republicans I will vote for are Nikki Haley, Chris Sununu, and potentially Tim Scott (need to do more research). Otherwise I will see who the Libertarians nominate, and just may end up writing myself in.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: April 17th, 2023, 9:22 pm The only Republicans I will vote for are Nikki Haley, Chris Sununu, and potentially Tim Scott (need to do more research). Otherwise I will see who the Libertarians nominate, and just may end up writing myself in.
Sununu intrigues me. Won’t vote for Haley.
Just John liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: April 17th, 2023, 9:33 pm
ATrain wrote: April 17th, 2023, 9:22 pm The only Republicans I will vote for are Nikki Haley, Chris Sununu, and potentially Tim Scott (need to do more research). Otherwise I will see who the Libertarians nominate, and just may end up writing myself in.
Vivek Ramaswamy is an interesting long shot. Looking forward to hearing more from him.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
May you expound on Haley please?
ATrain liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: April 18th, 2023, 6:39 am
May you expound on Haley please?
Don’t trust her. Which isn’t a high bar to clear and she’s higher in the Trust factor than some others
Not sure she will fight back against Democrats. She seems like a the Path Of Least Resistance type
She had her moments at the UN but I’m still unsure why she left. Or why she wants in now.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: April 18th, 2023, 10:31 pm I think it’s all about being a VP candidate.
Well that’s different. Not sure Trump will pick her though. :D
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Agree on Haley but likely for different reasons. :)
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
IMO this whole Disney thing is an embarrassment for DeSantis. He had no business using the power of the state going after a corporation for "being too woke". NOT conservative and none of his dang business, literally. He didn't work through the ramifications to the taxpayers of his initial threat, had to back down and then he let it get more personal and can't let it go, even after Disney has out-maneuvered him more than once, right out in the open. Not to be outdone by previous missteps, he threatens to put a competing amusement park (sure, THAT will work) or even worse, a prison next to Disney. A very stupid statement, even if hyperbole.

I see in the news tonight DeSantis is still continuing the fight. He has the power of the legislature but Disney has the best lawyers money can buy. Just not sure why DeSantis has picked a fight with the the world's largest single-site employer and Florida's largest employer. Even if he "wins", he still loses.

Disney today isn't Walt's Disney but a great many of it's customers are still salt of the earth people and most aren't going to give up going because of a fight over a state law where they don't live. I lived in Orange County near D'land and people complained for years about special days for gay people, allowing gays to hold hands, etc. Twenty-five years ago a local pastor initiated a motion at the SBC to boycott Disney. How did that work out?
thepostman liked this
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Someone has to stop the cultural cancer that is the liberal ideology. To some of us, that's a battle worth fighting. Some of us are done playing nice with the left.
Purple Haize liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote: April 19th, 2023, 8:48 pm Someone has to stop the cultural cancer that is the liberal ideology. To some of us, that's a battle worth fighting. Some of us are done playing nice with the left.
And that’s why Trump is so popular
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
jbock13 wrote: April 19th, 2023, 8:48 pm Someone has to stop the cultural cancer that is the liberal ideology. To some of us, that's a battle worth fighting. Some of us are done playing nice with the left.
Unfortunately Trump agrees with liberals when it comes to spending money we don't have on entitlements. Also, he just commits too many unforced errors by making unnecessarily asinine comments. I am appreciative for what he was able to do as President, but it's time to move on.
flamehunter liked this
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
While I do hate big government, it is quickly approaching the time that the right must use political power to crush the left just like they do to the right every time that they take power.

Look at what the left did to Virginia in just two years of full party control. Look at what the left is doing in Minnesota right now.
Purple Haize liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote: April 19th, 2023, 10:28 pm
Purple Haize wrote:
Unfortunately Trump agrees with liberals when it comes to spending money we don't have on entitlements. Also, he just commits too many unforced errors by making unnecessarily asinine comments. I am appreciative for what he was able to do as President, but it's time to move on.
We are of the same mind there. But the fact that he does not accept ‘moral victory’ type defeats and fights back is why he’s popular. The crowd who wanted to loose because they couldn’t be 100% right is what Trump opposed. I remember hearing Republicans (many of who are now Never Trumpers) say having a Democrat President is a good thing so a better Republican can win next time. Democrats are great at ‘just win baby’. Trump has a lot of that
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote: April 20th, 2023, 9:44 am While I do hate big government, it is quickly approaching the time that the right must use political power to crush the left just like they do to the right every time that they take power.

Look at what the left did to Virginia in just two years of full party control. Look at what the left is doing in Minnesota right now.
Look at what the Left did in 2 years with complete control of the Federal Government. I only wish Trump had that same type of support from Congress his first 2 years.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote: April 20th, 2023, 9:44 am While I do hate big government, it is quickly approaching the time that the right must use political power to crush the left just like they do to the right every time that they take power.

Listen to yourself, man: "I hate big government, but I need it to crush my political opponents."

Whatever happened to the marketplace of ideas, to letting your ideology stand on its merits and persuading others that it's the better option? If you abandon your own ideology because you're so scared of the alternative, you don't really believe in your ideology. And if you're willing to use undemocratic means to enforce your ideology, you don't really believe in democracy either.
thepostman, rmiller1959 liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: April 20th, 2023, 10:33 am
Whatever happened to the marketplace of ideas, to letting your ideology stand on its merits and persuading others that it's the better option? If you abandon your own ideology because you're so scared of the alternative, you don't really believe in your ideology. And if you're willing to use undemocratic means to enforce your ideology, you don't really believe in democracy either.
What happened is too many on both sides became more consumed with winning than defending their ideals to the point of being right. American politics isn’t about being right or having the best idea anymore. Each side adopts their ideology because it helps them win power where they are.

Been that way for FAR longer than people realize. I’m reading now about reconstruction after the Civil War, and it goes back at least that far in the federal government’s history.

People are choosing their truth now. Being to married to one’s ideology so much that one ignores pragmatism is akin to swallowing a sword because you need more iron in your diet.

And when you talk about abandoning ideology and whether or not one really believes in it - you’re falling prey to making politics your religion. Nobody here wants that, do they?

Lastly, you’re right: Undemocratic means shouldn’t be used. Capitalism and a democratic republic aren’t perfect, but they’re what we’ve got and better than all the rest.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
You have to play by the rules of the game. A Principled Conservative Loss is still a loss and your Conservative Principles will be eviscerated by the other side.
By jmclaughlin
Trump just said that if DeSantis runs he will just takes his ball and go home with all of his followers (in essence). He would rather, intentionally, hand the race back to the democrats than support the Republican candidate. Trump is a narcistic nuisance to the conservative effort.

The fear and hatred of DeSantis by the bureaucratic media and the Trump mind make me want to fully support DeSantis's run. They both know he posses the greatest threat to the status Quo of over arching government. A stark contrast to some takes on this thread.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
The same DeSantis that uses the government to try to control so many things in his state is a threat to government and uses government to punish speech?

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jmclaughlin wrote: April 21st, 2023, 11:08 am Trump just said that if DeSantis runs he will just takes his ball and go home with all of his followers (in essence). He would rather, intentionally, hand the race back to the democrats than support the Republican candidate. Trump is a narcistic nuisance to the conservative effort.

The fear and hatred of DeSantis by the bureaucratic media and the Trump mind make me want to fully support DeSantis's run. They both know he posses the greatest threat to the status Quo of over arching government. A stark contrast to some takes on this thread.
Then I hope DeSantis gets in and Trump leaves. His supporters will come around to RDS. If for no other reason he’s a better option than Biden

Long snapper from Elon/UCLA with one year of eligi[…]

A Liberty-Longhorns matchup would be incredible. I[…]

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]