This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Very clever, but I meant something way different than Nascar. Diversity, Equality & Inclusion (DEI) is what I meant. I am very curious to what Dr. Dondi believes about that and how he will lead the school in an age dominated by DEI & compromise.
flamehunter liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
DEI in theory is perfectly fine. As anything, people can go overboard. Being outright against it really kind of sheds a negative light on folks.

With that, I'll see myself out.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
DEI in theory is not perfectly fine for the Christian. DEI stems from Critical Race Theory and Critical Race Theory stems from Marxism. Both are anti-sufficiency of Scripture, anti-orthodox Christianity. Therefore, DEI is a dangerous & slippery slope for the Christian, the church and any Christian college. It brings more division where Christ & the Scriptures bring unity.

I have seen far to many SBC colleges & half of their seminaries adopt DEI as a policy for the school and the results have been further drifting from the sufficiency of Scripture, which then leads to drifting theologically. You don't let a poisonous snake run loose in your house for fear of it biting & more than likely killing someone. You get rid of it, you extinguish that problem.
TH Spangler, Chippy liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: August 31st, 2023, 12:35 pm DEI in theory is not perfectly fine for the Christian. DEI stems from Critical Race Theory and Critical Race Theory stems from Marxism. Both are anti-sufficiency of Scripture, anti-orthodox Christianity. Therefore, DEI is a dangerous & slippery slope for the Christian, the church and any Christian college. It brings more division where Christ & the Scriptures bring unity.

I have seen far to many SBC colleges & half of their seminaries adopt DEI as a policy for the school and the results have been further drifting from the sufficiency of Scripture, which then leads to drifting theologically. You don't let a poisonous snake run loose in your house for fear of it biting & more than likely killing someone. You get rid of it, you extinguish that problem.
Define DEI, critical race theory and Marxism. I'll wait.
ATrain liked this
By rtb72
Got a survey the other day from LU about input for the "strategic plan". I'm sure there will be little consideration for my input, but I will say that's the first time I've gotten anything like that. I provided as much detail as allowed and answered the prescribed questions. The questions led me to believe they (President Costin and out "new" administration) are finally going to look at improving our investment in academics and research. Time will tell I suppose...

Anyone else get the email survey?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I did not get a survey, but I did talk with President Costin at the Liberty vs Longwood softball game last Saturday. He commented that he'd seen Longwood softball play at Charleston Southern many times.
It's great having a president who will attend softball games. (and a football coach).
By rhezick
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: August 31st, 2023, 6:49 pm
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: August 31st, 2023, 12:35 pm DEI in theory is not perfectly fine for the Christian. DEI stems from Critical Race Theory and Critical Race Theory stems from Marxism. Both are anti-sufficiency of Scripture, anti-orthodox Christianity. Therefore, DEI is a dangerous & slippery slope for the Christian, the church and any Christian college. It brings more division where Christ & the Scriptures bring unity.

Define DEI, critical race theory and Marxism. I'll wait.
Might be waiting a while.... :D
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
You guys seem to be scoffing at the notion that these terms can actually be defined? Why? On what grounds? Just because ideology messes w/your head doesn't mean you can't define it.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Our LU president's inauguration was last night at Thomas Road Baptist Church. Everyone should read the article about it, but I would also recommend watching a stream of the service--and I highly recommend watching Dr. Costin's address towards the end of the video (1:29 time stamp).

https://www.liberty.edu/news/2023/10/26 ... n-mission/
By cruzan_flame13
rmiller1959 wrote: April 1st, 2023, 12:59 pm I remember reading that he spent the first year as Charleston Southern's president conducting listening sessions across the campus. I was hoping he would do the same thing at Liberty. Even if we showed the board the maximum amount of grace, I would bet that most of them have never interacted in any meaningful way with the student body, the faculty, or the staff, and their perspective on the climate at LU is confined to what they hear in the periodic board meetings from executive leadership. They are not the sole or complete source of knowledge about LU, and if President Costin wants to know LU, he needs to talk to the people who do the daily work of "training Champions for Christ," the students under their instruction and mentorship, and the staff that cares for both.

Therefore, I was glad to see this quote from him in the Charleston newspaper:
He spent the first year at Charleston Southern holding listening sessions across campus and said that’s the approach he’ll take at Liberty.

“The new person knows less than anybody about the culture,” Costin said.
I am also optimistic about the collaboration between him and Jonathan.
In announcing Costin as president, trustees also announced that Jonathan would serve as the university’s chancellor. It’s a move that harkens back to Liberty’s origins, Costin said.

“I can’t wait to lock arms with him and see how the Lord uses us together,” he said.
Some are disappointed that Jonathan hasn't been more outspoken or visible in dealing with the issues confronting LU, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and presuming he's playing the long game here. As chancellor and a counterpart and counselor to the president, he may have more influence on campus than ever. I don't know him personally, but I've seen him in private, and he is self-effacing, genial, and lacks the need to feed his ego. All in all, I have hope!

https://www.postandcourier.com/charlest ... bae49.html
Coming back to this comment, I believe this is happening. In August, Costin said that he was going to do everything that you've mentioned in a 4-5 months period. It has surpassed that, so there's likely more things to be discussed and analyze than just 4-5 months. It may be up to a year before we see the 'master plan' that he was discussing in his news interview. Just the other day, Costin emailed out information about evaluating the "Liberty Way" amongst students and alumni. I suppose that's a start to what is to come in the next few months.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Whatisthetruth wrote: February 19th, 2024, 4:28 pm
    Looks like Shawn Muldrow was let go.

Of the top 9 leaders - all male, all white.

Of the 30 'executives', 29 are white and 27 are male.

https://www.liberty.edu/about/executive-leadership/
    Personally, I could care less if they were purple with pink hair. The main thing is they are truthful, people of character and not whacked-out fundys, as some are. Color and gender are on the bottom of the list.
    ballcoach15, ATrain liked this
    By AATL
    badger74 wrote:Interview with WSET. Updates to Liberty Way??
    Yes, this was announced a bit ago. Here's the student paper's coverage, for instance: https://www.liberty.edu/champion/2024/0 ... -overhaul/

Some highlights:
    • Calling it the first "significant overhaul" in years
    • Removal of "points"
    • Emphasis on ensuring the contents fall into one of three Biblical-value-based categories
    • Emphasis on "restoring" students
    • Finalizing in June 2024
    By Whatisthetruth
    AATL wrote: March 12th, 2024, 10:50 am
    badger74 wrote:Interview with WSET. Updates to Liberty Way??
    Yes, this was announced a bit ago. Here's the student paper's coverage, for instance: https://www.liberty.edu/champion/2024/0 ... -overhaul/

Some highlights:
    • Calling it the first "significant overhaul" in years
    • Removal of "points"
    • Emphasis on ensuring the contents fall into one of three Biblical-value-based categories
    • Emphasis on "restoring" students
    • Finalizing in June 2024
    How does Costin expect to make cultural changes when the same bad actors are in leadership roles? Does anyone think those in charge of the "LU Way" have changed their stripes and will embrace this 'new day'..?
    By JK37
    Registration Days Posts
    I’d love to try to answer your question, but can you be more specific?

When you say “same people in leadership roles”, do you mean the Board, or those in the dean’s offices enforcing the Liberty Way?
    By Whatisthetruth
    JK37 wrote: March 13th, 2024, 12:37 pm I’d love to try to answer your question, but can you be more specific?

When you say “same people in leadership roles”, do you mean the Board, or those in the dean’s offices enforcing the Liberty Way?
    Here is a start -

1. The BOT.
    2. LUPD leadership (the three top guys when all this happened are still employed)
    3. Dean's Office; including the VP over title 9 at the time
    4. The Director of Health Services - implicated in articles, podcast, etc.
    5. VP of HR - was 2nd in command under Wallace when all this went down. Also knew about #4 way back in 2013
    6. CIO - helped #5 wipe computers clean destroying evidence.
    7. LU legal counsel -
    ATrain liked this
    By JK37
    Registration Days Posts
    OK thanks.

1. Insulated and Uninformed
    2. Yikes. Poor training?
    3. Root of problem?
    4. No excuse
    5. Doing what they were told
    6. Doing what they were told
    7. Totally not sure how to answer this.

Obviously I’m playing devil’s advocate here. But I feel compelled to do so because you seem to just have an axe to grind.
    By Whatisthetruth
    JK37 wrote: March 13th, 2024, 6:46 pm OK thanks.

1. Insulated and Uninformed
    2. Yikes. Poor training?
    3. Root of problem?
    4. No excuse
    5. Doing what they were told
    6. Doing what they were told
    7. Totally not sure how to answer this.

Obviously I’m playing devil’s advocate here. But I feel compelled to do so because you seem to just have an axe to grind.
    I do have an axe to grind and freely admit it!

Setting the bar at "I was only following orders" is a pretty poor standard for Christian leaders. Throughout history people have used that as an excuse and it never played well.

If you believe the BOT was completely in the dark I have a bridge to sell you.

It is just a shame nobody in leadership even made an effort to care for the victims.
    ATrain liked this
    By Sly Fox
    Registration Days Posts
    If the board members were not on the Executive Committee, I would place them in the likely completely uninformed category. In most cases, I would also place them firmly in the "Have no business serving on the LU board " category as well.

The recent statements by Costin on moving away from politics to focus on our the primary mission are very encouraging. That is LONG overdue.
    stokesjokes, Baybird, ATrain and 2 others liked this
    Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]