This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Ill flame
https://news.bloomberglaw.com/daily-lab ... ias-shield

This is the first time I've heard about this one. Apparently it all started in 2018.
Liberty University will try to convince a federal appeals court in Richmond that it’s immune to a former studio art professor’s age bias lawsuit, in a case testing the US Supreme Court’s doctrine shielding religious employers from anti-discrimination laws.

Liberty University Inc. is slated for oral argument Thursday at the US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit to challenge a district judge’s decision that Eva Palmer didn’t qualify as a “minister,” which permitted her to sue the Baptist university for not renewing her teaching contract allegedly due to age discrimination.

Ruling that Palmer was a minister because Liberty required her to integrate a Christian worldview into her studio art classes “would be a significant expansion of the conception of the ministerial exception,” US District Judge Norman Moon said in the 2021 opinion that Liberty is appealing.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
It seems like the minister angle is a bit of a sideshow to the real case. Does she actually have any evidence that they didn’t renew her based on age?

Funny to see LU’s lawyers argue for female ministers though. Hope no male students took her classes!
ballcoach15 liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The best man at my wedding was the most credentialed art-related professor on campus and was forced down to a part-time LU Online position around the same time. Even though he was in his 60s, we believe he was pushed out because he had the audacity to write a textbook suggesting that social media may not be a greater good. The social media prof blew a gasket and demanded he be fired. These things happen.
By rtb72
Sly Fox wrote: January 26th, 2023, 2:35 pm The best man at my wedding was the most credentialed art-related professor on campus and was forced down to a part-time LU Online position around the same time. Even though he was in his 60s, we believe he was pushed out because he had the audacity to write a textbook suggesting that social media may not be a greater good. The social media prof blew a gasket and demanded he be fired. These things happen.
The aged, wise professor was spot on. As the father of three teenagers, I can tell you...social media is not a "greater good" for this generation. Too many horror stories.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
The con’s far outweigh the pro’s for me. I gave up Fb and Twitter for good in 2019. Only platform I’m still on is LinkedIn, and I don’t use it effectively.

I don’t see the reason why it’s important to broadcast oneself publicly. I don’t see why I should care what others are doing. I get the biggest KICK out of people finding out details about my life long after they were relevant. Hearing relatives say, “I didn’t realize you went to the Boardwalk last weekend!” or “When did you buy your new house?!” brings me immeasurably joy.

“THATS RIGHT. YOU DIDNT NEED TO KNOW!” I feel like screaming. But I just smile.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Article in today's Lynchburg paper reference lawsuit. Sounds like he has a very weak case to me. He seems to forget Liberty is a private school. I hope he loses and has to pay Liberty for their legal fees, defending lawsuit. Some lawyer bad mouthed LU in the article.
Tothehoopyall1 liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Honestly lawyers using that argument don't deserve to be reimbursed for anything. If anything they should be paying the courts for even bothering with such a stupid defense. You may call it cunning. I'll stick with absurd.
ballcoach15 liked this
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: January 26th, 2023, 2:35 pm The best man at my wedding was the most credentialed art-related professor on campus and was forced down to a part-time LU Online position around the same time. Even though he was in his 60s, we believe he was pushed out because he had the audacity to write a textbook suggesting that social media may not be a greater good. The social media prof blew a gasket and demanded he be fired. These things happen.
There's a professor that just teaches social media?
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: January 28th, 2023, 9:41 am The con’s far outweigh the pro’s for me. I gave up Fb and Twitter for good in 2019. Only platform I’m still on is LinkedIn, and I don’t use it effectively.

I don’t see the reason why it’s important to broadcast oneself publicly. I don’t see why I should care what others are doing. I get the biggest KICK out of people finding out details about my life long after they were relevant. Hearing relatives say, “I didn’t realize you went to the Boardwalk last weekend!” or “When did you buy your new house?!” brings me immeasurably joy.

I basically only use Twitter for breaking news and for sports and wrestling stuff, like news, highlights, etc.

A lot of social media is what you make it out to be. Can't control what everyone else posts but can certainly control what you see.

My biggest gripe with it is that it makes it too easy to harass someone and makes it too easy to spread fake news, conspiracy theory, and misinformation to people who just believe anything they read on the internet.
JK37 liked this
By Ill flame
lynchburgwildcats wrote: February 11th, 2023, 8:43 pm I basically only use Twitter for breaking news and for sports and wrestling stuff, like news, highlights, etc.

A lot of social media is what you make it out to be. Can't control what everyone else posts but can certainly control what you see.

My biggest gripe with it is that it makes it too easy to harass someone and makes it too easy to spread fake news, conspiracy theory, and misinformation to people who just believe anything they read on the internet.
I'm in the same boat. I just use Twitter to follow LU and other sports accounts. I very rarely venture into the comments and avoid any politics or controversial figures so i rarely see much negativity social media is notorious for. I also find reddit to he a good aggregator of sports news but that place is a cesspool and I'm not sure why I'm still on it. Also WWE or AEW?
By tyndal23
lynchburgwildcats wrote: February 11th, 2023, 8:43 pm
JK37 wrote: January 28th, 2023, 9:41 am The con’s far outweigh the pro’s for me. I gave up Fb and Twitter for good in 2019. Only platform I’m still on is LinkedIn, and I don’t use it effectively.

I basically only use Twitter for breaking news and for sports and wrestling stuff, like news, highlights, etc.

So Wildcat - should I get my 6th booster or not? So confused by all the misinformation out there..you were always a steady voice, but haven’t heard much from you on the subject lately..
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: February 11th, 2023, 9:06 pm
lynchburgwildcats wrote: February 11th, 2023, 8:43 pm I basically only use Twitter for breaking news and for sports and wrestling stuff, like news, highlights, etc.

I'm in the same boat. I just use Twitter to follow LU and other sports accounts. I very rarely venture into the comments and avoid any politics or controversial figures so i rarely see much negativity social media is notorious for. I also find reddit to he a good aggregator of sports news but that place is a cesspool and I'm not sure why I'm still on it. Also WWE or AEW?
I prefer AEW. I don't watch WWE weekly, but I keep up with it and watch the PLEs (except the Saudi ones). I prefer the stronger focus on the in-ring product that AEW presents.
Ill flame liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
In answer to your question about profs focusing on social media, at any institution with a COMS major it is now a huge chunk of curriculum. My daughter is a freshman COMS major at Texas A&M looking primarily at concentrating in linguistics or public affairs. In her freshman level COMS classes, nearly everyone are social influencers with their primary career objectives following a similar path. Honestly it is sad. My daughter jokes about being in a class full of former HS cheerleaders who couldn't write an essay even under threat to lose their phones for an hour.

At the same time, I work with many in the professional space whose total responsibilities are in managing social channels. So there are jobs right now available. I'm just not sure how well demonstrating the latest dance moves or accessories will get any of them hired.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, like it or not, it's a medium in use for mass communication, so it's vital to understand the role it plays. I'm sure there was a time when people said, "I can't believe they are teaching those kids television production. What a waste!"
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]