This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Just John
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: October 30th, 2021, 10:23 pm Btw, the article was edited to remove any mention of Dr. Prior, so if you go looking and are confused, that’s why.
The rewrite was actually pretty substantially toned down. Still poorly written IMO but it was worse.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Interesting how Jonathon steps up and has someone's back as their pastor. Now, why wouldn't she speak up for his integrity? An open minded person might conclude that Jonathon was kind enough to listen to a Jane Doe, but perhaps wise enough to discern the possibility of being trapped or maybe used as a mere pawn in a game.

We don't really know anyone's intentions. Nor do we know Jonathon's side of the events. So, why condemn the man? He showed us what he's about right there with that tweet. Stand-up guy.
jinxy liked this
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote:Interesting how Jonathon steps up and has someone's back as their pastor. Now, why wouldn't she speak up for his integrity? An open minded person might conclude that Jonathon was kind enough to listen to a Jane Doe, but perhaps wise enough to discern the possibility of being trapped or maybe used as a mere pawn in a game.

We don't really know anyone's intentions. Nor do we know Jonathon's side of the events. So, why condemn the man? He showed us what he's about right there with that tweet. Stand-up guy.
You think someone’s character is defined by a single tweet?
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
People are free to decide for themselves.

Your character always shows up in what you do and how you live. That's inevitable.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: October 31st, 2021, 9:08 am Interesting how Jonathon steps up and has someone's back as their pastor. Now, why wouldn't she speak up for his integrity? An open minded person might conclude that Jonathon was kind enough to listen to a Jane Doe, but perhaps wise enough to discern the possibility of being trapped or maybe used as a mere pawn in a game.

So then, is it at least somewhat reasonable to suppose that Jonathon should maybe just at least be under consideration for the benefit of the doubt? Maybe even say that? That shouldn't be too hard to do.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I don’t have a problem with Jonathan. He’s been in a tough spot through this whole thing, and I genuinely think he has good intentions. Unfortunately for him, he’s the one person who has had the authority and standing to do something about basically all of these situations with LU and has chosen not to so far. It would be really hard to have the courage to stand against his own brother or to make public choices that may be messy for him and his ministry.

Hopefully this is a sign that he is going to be a more vocal leader at LU. He also reached out to the Baggett lady on Twitter recently, who is a constant vocal critic of the LU admin.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Why can’t you give Jane Doe the benefit of the doubt? Shouldn’t be that hard to do.

Jonathan has an existing relationship with the former esteemed professor. It’s not really a defining characteristic that he would go to bat for her.

I think a more defining character trait is how much you go to bat with the people you don’t know. With those who aren’t as high profile.

It’s sort of like doing the right thing when no one is looking.

I don’t think Jonathan’s tweet gives any indication of how he handled the assault issues.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: October 31st, 2021, 11:35 am Unfortunately for him, he’s the one person who has had the authority and standing to do something about basically all of these situations with LU and has chosen not to so far. It would be really hard to have the courage to stand against his own brother or to make public choices that may be messy for him and his ministry.

I'm not comfortable making a commitment as to what someone should or shouldn't do with regard to his brother and his wife, when it appears the way that it does even from afar. I can't imagine what that's like on the inside. Pathological is not a stretch. Malicious slander and unjustified scapegoating often follows as well. But who really knows? Not a single one of us.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
rmiller1959 wrote: October 31st, 2021, 11:55 am
This is an interesting tweet to me, because who is it that wouldn’t allow Jonathan to serve well? It seems like Jonathan would be the one with all of the influence here. He has the platform, and like I said before the standing and authority because of his pastorate, his name, and his history with LU, to hold the reins.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I am just thrilled that no one on this site is going to have anything to do with hiring the new president. (We may all be dead before they get around to making the choice, in any event). 8)
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Why do I picture Charlton Heston's speech to the NRA when I think Prevo & the Board's take on relinquishing power?

By lawdawg2002
Playing off Dr. Prior's endorsement of Jonathan, I'm interested to know the leadership expectations of this group. So we know that LU will have another president, likely sooner than later. Assuming LU hires just a president/chancellor (We can consider later if they split the position.), what experience, credentials, attributes, etc. would you like to see in the next president/chancellor? Sorry if there is a better place for this, but this seemed to be as good a place as any.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
What gives you any idea that there will be a leadership change "sooner rather than later"? The only way I see Prevo letting go of the sweet gig he hijacked is through his passing on to the sweet by and by. There certainly is no indication from the board that they have any taste for change. What a disaster.
By lawdawg2002
Sooner and later are relative terms here. Sooner is not next fall, but I also don't see him at LU 10 years from now. Let's just assume for a moment that the current board is actually trying to clean up their mess, as best they know how, and then plan to turn over most of the board positions and presidency to fresh blood. We will also need to assume that they have the capability to clean up their mess, if that is true. I have reason to believe the first assumption is true, but no reason to believe that the second one is true. I also believe that Prevo is just about the opposite of what LU needs. If that is the case, then what does LU need?

I believe the next president needs to be committed to the spiritual condition of the campus first and the academic condition of the university after that. They should also recognize the importance that quality athletics play in promoting a university. The next president should be a committed believer (you would think this would be self-evident, but I'm afraid it is not.). They should academic credentials from places other than LU or a great deal of experience at institutions other than LU. Am I right? Are their other attributes more important than these?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
lawdawg2002 wrote: November 1st, 2021, 12:24 am Sooner and later are relative terms here. Sooner is not next fall, but I also don't see him at LU 10 years from now. Let's just assume for a moment that the current board is actually trying to clean up their mess, as best they know how, and then plan to turn over most of the board positions and presidency to fresh blood. We will also need to assume that they have the capability to clean up their mess, if that is true. I have reason to believe the first assumption is true, but no reason to believe that the second one is true. I also believe that Prevo is just about the opposite of what LU needs. If that is the case, then what does LU need?

I believe the next president needs to be committed to the spiritual condition of the campus first and the academic condition of the university after that. They should also recognize the importance that quality athletics play in promoting a university. The next president should be a committed believer (you would think this would be self-evident, but I'm afraid it is not.). They should academic credentials from places other than LU or a great deal of experience at institutions other than LU. Am I right? Are their other attributes more important than these?
I’m thinking The Board and Prevo will be around for 10 years. Unless they don’t live that long. Power is a seductrive mistress. Once gotten it’s rarely given up freely. See JLFJR.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Absolute power corrupts absolutely also applies. Now, we have this megalomania thing with a net worth of 100 million still hurting from a self-inflicted injury. Wound hasn't healed. I'm not so sure that a quality person would want to step in until some kind of treaty is signed. This is just one way to look at it.
JK37 liked this
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]