This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
It’s weird looking back at that debate and following Metaxas’ thread since then. Even though he was a Trump supporter then, and I disagreed with that, it was with full acknowledgment of the flaws and his presentation of it made sense. He’s gone kookoo bananas (clinical term) since then. He’s bought into weird prophetic anti-intellectualism, has led the charge into full-throated Christian Nationalism, and goes full-on conspiracy theory now. He’s untethered and I’m not sure what happened.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
There are too many liberals in education, starting at elementary school level and continuing through college. There are not enough males in K-12 principal positions. When teachers are liberals, there's not much hope for the future.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
That is a whole other discussion all together filled with a lot of half truths but it has nothing to do with Prevo and his future here at LU.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: October 29th, 2021, 10:13 am It’s weird looking back at that debate and following Metaxas’ thread since then. Even though he was a Trump supporter then, and I disagreed with that, it was with full acknowledgment of the flaws and his presentation of it made sense. He’s gone kookoo bananas (clinical term) since then. He’s bought into weird prophetic anti-intellectualism, has led the charge into full-throated Christian Nationalism, and goes full-on conspiracy theory now. He’s untethered and I’m not sure what happened.
TBH, I don't really pay that much attention to political hyperbole in general but most of it has entrainment value, if your in that sort of field....maybe info-tainment. I'm familiar with him through something called The Christian Union. Also, I have an aunt who works in Midtown, not far from his Socrates events on Madison. From my experience, he's been a light in a dark place. It's a legitimate mission field.

I mean, I didn't attend a Yale or Princeton like he did. I just eat pizza there sometimes. So, what would I know? But, I may be able to speak to it a little. There is a prophetic nature in certain literature, most notably, Russian Realism. TBH...if this is lost on a segment of his audience, then he probably needs a little help if he's going to continue in this realm. And, If the Christians in the Ivies and in Midtown still welcome him, then why shouldn't we?
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, if your frame of reference for Metaxas is Socrates in the City, he’s awesome. Unfortunately, he’s not that guy anymore. I’ve seen his old friends from that time publicly reach out and he’s rebuffed them. Sad to see.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
He actually remains very much engaged with Socrates. Moreover, he's able to reach people there that I never could. There are people who are lost in the culture elite thing. They have no real engagement with anything outside of that culture. The format and location of Socrates is ideal. God has his people placed in surprising places. And God is not far from any of us.

Anyone who gets seriously involved in politics is going to be misunderstood by someone. It goes with the territory. We should know all about that here at LU.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Didn’t know he was still engaged with Socrates. I’m not sure if it makes it better or worse that he’s able to compartmentalize his lunacy.

We’re not just talking about people misunderstanding him. We’re talking about this guy believing that it’s been prophesied that Trump really won the election and will be re-instated as president. We’re talking about this guy blowing into American-flag shofars and saying “We need to fight to the death, to the last drop of blood, because it’s worth it” to prove that the election was “stolen.” We’re talking about this guy saying to believe otherwise is to “listen to the voice of the devil.”

If you want to hitch your wagon to that, great, but there’s no way to spin that as a good thing to be associated with, in my mind.
Just John liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Are referencing French or Dreher or someone like that or is there a direct source that others can draw their own conclusions from?
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
His own mouth. He posted them on youtube but has since ben removed. There are places where it still is free to see but I am not really comfortable linking to Q'anon friendly websites/boards.

But what does any of this have to do with Prevo using LU as his political tool? Or about Prevo in general? Has he embraced Metaxas and his ideals?
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Hold on. Q-Anon likes chocolate chip mint ice cream. Wait a second, I love chocolate chip mint ice cream............now that's a conundrum.

Also, I wonder if there are actual conspiracies about people who are promoting opposing conspiracies, and the conspiracies about conspiracies are actually not conspiracies but actual truth when it all gets sorted out. I think Hegel may have said something like that. If he didn't, he should have.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: October 29th, 2021, 1:51 pm He's not Q-Anon guys. This is getting silly.
I didn't say he was. I said that is the only place I could still find his videos. The people who follow Q appreciate his recent work.

stokesjokes wrote: October 29th, 2021, 1:48 pm He keeps him on at Formerly-Falkirk as a fellow
Ahhhh ok
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: October 29th, 2021, 2:41 pm It is Friday after all.

The dude has gone off the deep end though. Seems pretty obvious but maybe it isn't for some people.
Here is less than an hour you can hear Metaxas talk to a "prophet" that he endorses tell us God told her in specific words that she copied down, telling us among other things there would be a great shaking in the US gov't before the end of whatever Jewish feast that ends this week. (She puts great stock in the Jewish calendar like many "prophets". It gives them a lot of feasts and holy days and the year of this and that to help put things together. :wink: ). In this particular "word from God (she has many) He also told her something about George Washington crossing the Delaware, about wire fraud in the Congress and a media empire collapsing. Said word from God occurred in August and Metaxas aired in on Sep 8th. https://metaxastalk.com/podcast/wednesd ... er-8-2021/

A few more bullet points from this broadcast:
  • Prophetess says Newsom is going down in CA. Metaxas agrees but neither one knows 1) when the recall election is or 2) how it works.
  • She tells us the Jewish calendar for 2016 was "The Year of What!?" and ties it to the Trump election.
  • Lindell is also a guest. Following his failed symposium "proving " machines stole the election, Metaxas tells us Lindell is the "sanest man in America". Not to be outdone, Lindell tells us he is the "most attacked man in history".
  • One last morsel, on her youtube channel this prophetess literally ties 9-11, the 20th anniversary of 9-11, the Tower of Babel and Biden's "Build Back Better" budget together. Not anecdotally mind you, but specifically, literally and spiritually. :roll: I'm not exaggerating. Fits in with her excessive numerology and her political ideology.

Metaxas wholeheartedly endorses her "wisdom". And LU keeps him on in a quasi-think tank? Oh yes, there needs to be some changes. LOL. Prevo won't run from his HAC honorary doctorate but at least they would run away from him for putting up with this nonsense.
lawdawg2002 liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
At least I have some idea of what you guys are saying now. But, I gotta be honest, this is nothing like what you're making it out to be. There's more amusement and curiosity in there than you would have us believe. And even some mischievousness.

But nevertheless, not everyone is into beating down on Christians with opposing views. I give him credit for that. There are deep flaws and errors within every denomination. There are also authentic people mixed in as well. Separating the sheep from the goats and the wheat from the tares is God's business, and not ours. And lastly, it never hurts to lighten-up a little.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
I'm on board with that.

Just sayin' that maybe some of you guys should consider turning down the judge-o-meter a little.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
I mean, I think it's perfectly fair to be picky when endorsing "fellows" for a center at a school designed to Train Champions for Christ.

I used to be a fan of Eric but where he's at currently, I don't think aligns with the mission of the school. However, I also feel that the Falkirk center in general doesn't align with the mission of the school.
Just John liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Are we back to officially using “Champions for Christ”?

I know JJ changed it to We, the Champions. (Now, we know why.)
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote: October 30th, 2021, 2:56 pm I mean, I think it's perfectly fair to be picky when endorsing "fellows" for a center at a school designed to Train Champions for Christ.

I used to be a fan of Eric but where he's at currently, I don't think aligns with the mission of the school. However, I also feel that the Falkirk center in general doesn't align with the mission of the school.
Eric Metaxas is a Champion for Christ. He fits the mission as well as anyone. I really do wish he would tell better jokes though. But, other than that...fortunate to have him. Can't imagine him being let go regardless of who's in leadership.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
The Standing for Freedom Center has, again, publicly embarrassed themselves and LU. So much so that Jonathan Falwell himself had to speak against them today:

Why is this mess allowed to continue?
Just John liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]