This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By JK37
Registration Days Posts
We won’t get a quality candidate until, like Paradox said, we fully separate ourselves from the past. To an extent, that may never happen. But no self-respecting academic is coming anywhere near LU until a legit investigation cleans the closets. Which may be never. But certainly not soon.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: October 31st, 2021, 11:44 pm What gives you any idea that there will be a leadership change "sooner rather than later"? The only way I see Prevo letting go of the sweet gig he hijacked is through his passing on to the sweet by and by. There certainly is no indication from the board that they have any taste for change. What a disaster.
Two possibilities that may shorten his tenure:
1. Make him fly commercial coach to Alaska.
2. Mechanically sabotage the university jet where it will take months to fix it. 8) 8)
Just John liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
He then would charter a jet at LU's expense.

All trips to Alaska should be funded out of his pockets, not the university's. Phoenix, also.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Well I hear he went up to Saratoga...and his horse naturally won...then flew his lear jet up to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun........so vain...probably thinks this thread's about him
By LU 57
paradox wrote: November 1st, 2021, 1:00 pm Well I hear he went up to Saratoga...and his horse naturally won...then flew his lear jet up to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun........so vain...probably thinks this thread's about him
That really happened??
By rtb72
stokesjokes wrote: October 31st, 2021, 11:35 am I don’t have a problem with Jonathan. He’s been in a tough spot through this whole thing, and I genuinely think he has good intentions. Unfortunately for him, he’s the one person who has had the authority and standing to do something about basically all of these situations with LU and has chosen not to so far. It would be really hard to have the courage to stand against his own brother or to make public choices that may be messy for him and his ministry.

Hopefully this is a sign that he is going to be a more vocal leader at LU. He also reached out to the Baggett lady on Twitter recently, who is a constant vocal critic of the LU admin.
I'm curious if he really had the ability to do a whole lot with JFJR and his cronies in charge. I've heard Jonathan was essentially sidelined by Jr....maybe kicked off the team all together, I don't know. but, I really don't think he had the "ability" to do as much as some might think, while Jr. was "in charge". I could be wrong, but yes....really tough situation nonetheless.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathon had next to 0 ability to affect any changes at the University short of declaring all out “war” against his brother to wrest control. And that wasn’t going to happen. They each had their own Empire. Except one had more money than the other
Just John liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I don’t think Jonathan had any official power within the university, but he had a platform and a relationship to the university. If he spoke publicly, people would listen. If he called publicly for the board to resign, for instance, or for a transparent investigation, or any number of things, they would be hard pressed not to listen.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: November 1st, 2021, 9:21 pm Jonathon had next to 0 ability to affect any changes at the University short of declaring all out “war” against his brother to wrest control. And that wasn’t going to happen. They each had their own Empire. Except one had more money than the other
Indeed. Jr. always had more financial backing with the University and held it over the church for a long time/ The tide turned a bit though when Jonathan became COB of the Rawlings Foundation which of course was giving tons of money to LU. I doubt it really ever had an impact though.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: November 1st, 2021, 9:29 pm I don’t think Jonathan had any official power within the university, but he had a platform and a relationship to the university. If he spoke publicly, people would listen. If he called publicly for the board to resign, for instance, or for a transparent investigation, or any number of things, they would be hard pressed not to listen.
And Junior would hit back hard. If you come for the King you best not miss. As I said, it would have been all out war between the 2
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: November 1st, 2021, 10:45 pm Yeah, that’s why I’ve said it would have taken a lot of courage. I’m not sure if I could have done it either.
Courage has nothing to do with it. Why pick a fight you’ll lose at best (can you image Nasser as TRBC pastor) and destroy each other at worse
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Just John wrote: November 1st, 2021, 9:45 pm
rmiller1959 wrote: October 31st, 2021, 11:55 am
Paradox was pretty tough on KSP not saying something along these lines but failed to note when she did. :D
I share the same sentiments as Stokes on the obscure meaning of "allowed to serve." And for the record, I was talking about something very specific related to standing up for his integrity when he was under attack, especially since he can't speak to it publicly for legal reasons.

But, yeah, she should be speaking up for his character, especially since she's weighing in so much, often in a highly inflammatory manner.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: November 1st, 2021, 11:09 pm
stokesjokes wrote: November 1st, 2021, 10:45 pm Yeah, that’s why I’ve said it would have taken a lot of courage. I’m not sure if I could have done it either.
Courage has nothing to do with it. Why pick a fight you’ll lose at best (can you image Nasser as TRBC pastor) and destroy each other at worse
Junior and his wife were lost in malignant self-absorption. The manipulation and deception was on a very high level. Taking them on would've been a death wish for sure. That goes for anyone or anything that threatened their image or power.
Last edited by paradox on November 1st, 2021, 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just John liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I think you guys are underestimating how many people would have gladly stood behind Jonathan in this situation. I think a large majority of Liberty people would have.

I also think it’s backwards to suggest a Christian leader shouldn’t speak out about problems because they might lose something from it. Courage would be doing it anyway, knowing it may come with a cost.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
It's easy to say what courage should look like from a spectator's point of view. Have you ever conversed with someone who has an NPD relative scheming against them? They manipulate half-truths and slander with extreme lies and defamation. My guess is that Jonathon followed sound advice. Self-destruction was inevitable for them.
Last edited by paradox on November 2nd, 2021, 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I don’t understand this perspective.

To use your analogy, we’re supposed to let narcissists abuse people because if we get involved they might make our lives difficult?

I keep using the word courage because I acknowledge this would be a very difficult thing to do and carries personal risk, but IMHO it’s the right thing to do.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
There is a time for courage. And we don't know what battles occurred behind the scenes. But let's be honest, JFJR/BF were drunk on power and operating with zero accountability. Completely out of control. People questioned this. And they were mowed down one by one.

It's not about fear or backing down. It's more about more about wisdom and resolve in the face of adversity.
flameshaw liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 12:09 am I don’t understand this perspective.

To use your analogy, we’re supposed to let narcissists abuse people because if we get involved they might make our lives difficult?

I keep using the word courage because I acknowledge this would be a very difficult thing to do and carries personal risk, but IMHO it’s the right thing to do.
If Jonathon felt like burning the whole thing down (LU and TRBC) then maybe. But you overestimate the loyalty to Jonathon of those opposed to Junior. I’m not exaggerating when I say it would have destroyed the church and the University. Embarking upon that Crusade without knowing you could win isn’t courageous it’s foolish. I say again, if you come for the king you best not miss. People will talk a good game but when it’s time to put careers and livelihoods on the line they suddenly become scarce. Look no further than the current Board and Prevo
Junior was and is playing for keeps. I’m not sure Jonathon has that type of killer instinct. Jonathon would have lost, Junior would have become stronger and nothing positive would have happened. Jonathon’s only choice was the nuclear option. He didn’t use it. Wisely IMO
rtb72, flameshaw, jinxy liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 6:48 am
stokesjokes wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 12:09 am I don’t understand this perspective.

If Jonathon felt like burning the whole thing down (LU and TRBC) then maybe. But you overestimate the loyalty to Jonathon of those opposed to Junior. I’m not exaggerating when I say it would have destroyed the church and the University. Embarking upon that Crusade without knowing you could win isn’t courageous it’s foolish. I say again, if you come for the king you best not miss. People will talk a good game but when it’s time to put careers and livelihoods on the line they suddenly become scarce. Look no further than the current Board and Prevo
Junior was and is playing for keeps. I’m not sure Jonathon has that type of killer instinct. Jonathon would have lost, Junior would have become stronger and nothing positive would have happened. Jonathon’s only choice was the nuclear option. He didn’t use it. Wisely IMO
That first statement reminds me of HMO's sig when he was a regular here. I'd love to hear his take on the situation, but it looks like he is (very wisely) laying low.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]