This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

LUconn wrote: May 9th, 2022, 1:49 pm https://www.insidehighered.com/news/202 ... nvestigate

Maybe this should be a different thread but since this article lumps it all together I will too. Is anybody here familiar with "Armor Bearers?" This reports it's some kind of conversion therapy. But I also know that can be a broadly used term.
I can't say that I am familiar with "Armor Bearers," and I never went to any group therapy for same sex attraction while at LU. However, I did meet with Pastor Dane a few times, and the experience Dave describes in the article that @stokesjokes linked to was essentially my experience.
Yeah, big yikes from me. Chad Hasson on there trying to defend it isn’t a good look either.

The content of the message is innocent enough, but Hugh should know better than DM-ing young women on Twitter given his history, especially one who is a plaintiff against the university. At the very least, if he feels so compelled to respond, he should do it publicly. Give her a quote tweet or reply to what she said. Sliding into her DMs comes off as slimy, not to mention insecure. To paraphrase Mike Birbiglia “what he should have said…was nothing.”
thepostman wrote: July 10th, 2022, 4:14 pm Considering his past it best for him to not DM young ladies at midnight. As harmless as it may be.

She is also pretty well known by LU leadership and hasn't exactly been treated the best. So I don't blame her for her reaction.
So the same text at 545 pm is ok in your book? Study :dontgetit
LUOrange liked this
Is she making a federal case about it?

Seems like she’s just calling it out since he keeps doing it even though she’s never responded to him. The implication that he keeps DM-ing her after she’s ignored him in the past makes it worse. I’m sure she’s fed up.
Purple Haize wrote: July 10th, 2022, 4:55 pm
thepostman wrote: July 10th, 2022, 4:14 pm Considering his past it best for him to not DM young ladies at midnight. As harmless as it may be.

She is also pretty well known by LU leadership and hasn't exactly been treated the best. So I don't blame her for her reaction.
Considering the past of both individuals here, Hugh should be wise enough by now not to send DM's to young women regardless of the time. Is it some kind of earth shattering scandal? Of course not and she isn't claiming it is. But it just is odd behavior for someone in his position. Considering how she has been treated by others in leadership at LU it is easy to see why she felt the need to react the way she did.

Again. Not a dirty scandal. Just poor judgment. I've defended HF a ton in social media in the past but I think he missed the make here.
Purple Haize wrote: July 10th, 2022, 4:54 pm
stokesjokes wrote: July 10th, 2022, 3:32 pm C’mon man, it’s not some federal offense, but do you not see how this is really poor judgment on Hugh’s part?
So you agree she’s over reacting?
She's definitely overreacting and clearly loves the attention she's getting but hugh had no right to get involved in this. No good could've come from that DM.
sstaedtler liked this
thepostman wrote: July 10th, 2022, 5:12 pm
Purple Haize wrote: July 10th, 2022, 4:55 pm

Considering the past of both individuals here, Hugh should be wise enough by now not to send DM's to young women regardless of the time. Is it some kind of earth shattering scandal? Of course not and she isn't claiming it is. But it just is odd behavior for someone in his position. Considering how she has been treated by others in leadership at LU it is easy to see why she felt the need to react the way she did.

Again. Not a dirty scandal. Just poor judgment. I've defended HF a ton in social media in the past but I think he missed the make here.
Can’t both be true?
Ill flame wrote: July 10th, 2022, 5:13 pm
Purple Haize wrote: July 10th, 2022, 4:54 pm
stokesjokes wrote: July 10th, 2022, 3:32 pm C’mon man, it’s not some federal offense, but do you not see how this is really poor judgment on Hugh’s part?
So you agree she’s over reacting?
She's definitely overreacting and clearly loves the attention she's getting but hugh had no right to get involved in this. No good could've come from that DM.
This is sort of where I’m coming down
I need a little context here. She was a sexual assault victim from 07', right? I thought that's what I saw. "Jane Doe, 07'". So Ian nor Hugh were associated with LU at the time I assume? So just curious, what was the context behind the DM from HCHF? Did Ian's name get brought up somehow? If so...by who and why? Was there some culpable association with Ian in her victimization?
Purple Haize liked this
She is Jane Doe #7 in the lawsuit. She was the student body president for the class of 2015, so Ian and Freeze were only a twinkle in Jr’s eye when she graduated.

I can’t find any post about Ian, but I’m not searching hard. I assume the gist would be questioning Ian’s involvement in the Baylor stuff.

The thing is, I’ve heard from people who would know that Ian is a man of high character. And I’d bet dollars to donuts that he’s not happy with Freeze doing this. It’s also interesting all the replies who seem to have similar stories of Freeze DM-ing them. Someone needs to set Jill up with Life360.
rtb72 liked this
stokesjokes wrote: July 10th, 2022, 7:34 pm She is Jane Doe #7 in the lawsuit. She was the student body president for the class of 2015, so Ian and Freeze were only a twinkle in Jr’s eye when she graduated.

I can’t find any post about Ian, but I’m not searching hard. I assume the gist would be questioning Ian’s involvement in the Baylor stuff.

The thing is, I’ve heard from people who would know that Ian is a man of high character. And I’d bet dollars to donuts that he’s not happy with Freeze doing this. It’s also interesting all the replies who seem to have similar stories of Freeze DM-ing them. Someone needs to set Jill up with Life360.
I’m 93.6% sure Ian had a phone call with Hugh saying ‘Thanks, but I can fight my own battles’
I’m sure she hasn’t followed the fallout from Ian at Baylor but he came out looking a lot better than initially thought. LU is lucky to have him
LUOrange, rtb72, jinxy liked this
It’s a public social site, and yet the private chat feature of the site was medium he chose.

I’m just playing devil’s advocate. I haven’t seen the tweet or DM’s because Twitter I’ve blocked Twitter on my devices, which prohibits view of embedded tweets.
Purple Haize wrote: July 10th, 2022, 7:48 pm
stokesjokes wrote: July 10th, 2022, 7:34 pm She is Jane Doe #7 in the lawsuit. She was the student body president for the class of 2015, so Ian and Freeze were only a twinkle in Jr’s eye when she graduated.

I’m 93.6% sure Ian had a phone call with Hugh saying ‘Thanks, but I can fight my own battles’
I’m sure she hasn’t followed the fallout from Ian at Baylor but he came out looking a lot better than initially thought. LU is lucky to have him
AND....if Jane Doe #7 is kicking up dust on Ian while at Baylor without having first hand info herself, well then...

While she is surely a victim, if she is trying to demonize Ian over something I might suggest she knows nothing about really (Baylor situation) and there seems to be evidence Ian did come out looking better in the end...she is really doing the victimizing in this case, isn't she? Not defending HCHF here; I think he had good intentions with a lousy strategy, but she may have brought this one on herself. If so...she might want to pipe down on the public calling-out of folks.

I don't know that is the case here.....but context does matter, so I am curious what was said about Ian to influence HCHF to make such a move (albeit, not a well thought out one).
Motives are very interesting to discern. One can seek the root of them and never find it...or they might be exposed by those who possess them initially. Social media can certainly lend to the foundations of motive. I am sorry for what happened to this young lady, and equally as ashamed of LU's leadership at the time, who contributed to her victimization. However, her responses and likes during interaction with her supporters specific to this thread on Twitter has become nothing more than a beat down of Hugh and Ian, and the promotion of her episode on GangsterCaptialism (or whatever it was called), her being a participant throughout the thread. Likewise, her motive for publicly posting the DM is not consistent to her original assertion, so.....

Hugh Freeze's DM did not seem sinister, although it was ill-informed. Based on what little I can tell....Ian McCaw (really neither HCHF) has done nothing to this young lady. I understand her disdain for LU, but to persecute representatives who had no responsibility for, or connection whatsoever to, her assault??? Very telling IMO.
Last edited by rtb72 on July 11th, 2022, 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flamehunter liked this

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm […]

Long snapper from Elon/UCLA with one year of eligi[…]

A Liberty-Longhorns matchup would be incredible. I[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]