This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

You say publicity stunt like it’s a bad thing :lol:

You do things publicly for a reason. This is obviously to rally the LU community around a cause and pressure the administration to do what most of us think is the right thing.

That doesn’t make it “impure” or a “game.”
ATrain liked this
stokesjokes wrote: November 4th, 2021, 10:28 am You say publicity stunt like it’s a bad thing :lol:

You do things publicly for a reason. This is obviously to rally the LU community around a cause and pressure the administration to do what most of us think is the right thing.

That doesn’t make it “impure” or a “game.”
Sure it does. These are well-worn tactics. To put on this show, and then act SHOCKED that you're not exactly welcome is disingenuous as best. The charade on both sides is a bit nauseating. But everyone is okay with one because they think it'll get the results they want.
flameshaw liked this
ALUmnus wrote: November 4th, 2021, 9:58 am Not defending LU here, because it's run by a bunch of clowns with no moral backbone, but...
Did we all forget what a publicity stunt looks like? "Prayer vigil", right. "I just came here peacefully with pure intentions", also I'm going to blast it all over social media, and here's an article written about everything...
Both sides are playing PR games, let's call it like it is.
I like Rachael D and she's done some great work, but she's far from perfect.
Well said. I believe that Save71, etc. is not interested in what is best for the university, it is all about PR and attention. I also believe that Prevo is being reactive instead of proactive in this situation. There is no doubt that many things need to be cleaned up.
I do not believe that either side is being 100% truthful. I also don't believe everything that the Jane Doe's are throwing out there. However, I am certain that there are 100's of sexual assaults that have happened at LU, that have not been reported. There are probably 100's that happen each day at our university's around the country.
My point is that we need a good house-cleaning, however it can and should be done without airing the dirty laundry publicly. We are not obliged to open our kimono's to the world. We are held to the moral obligation of handling these problems legally and spiritually. Thus far, we have failed to do so.

Prevo and the Bored need to be removed immediately. Jonathon would be a notable exception. I believe that he wants to do the right thing and will follow through. As PH noted, he has been in an impossible situation.
Finally, we should hire an independent, legal entity, that monitors our responses to any sexual assault, Title IX charges to ensure they are resolved correctly.
flameshaw wrote: November 4th, 2021, 12:33 pm
Prevo and the Bored need to be removed immediately. Jonathon would be a notable exception. I believe that he wants to do the right thing and will follow through. As PH noted, he has been in an impossible situation.
Finally, we should hire an independent, legal entity, that monitors our responses to any sexual assault, Title IX charges to ensure they are resolved correctly.
I know you don't like Save71 and you have your reasons but this is at the core of what they are calling for. I have my own differences with them but at the core you, me, Save71, and plenty of others associated with LU want these same things. The more voices we have calling for these things, the better.
ATrain liked this
Having been involved in some of the issues over the years with the administration, Corry has always been one to play hardball. I mean serious hardball. If he is in fact "retiring" this might be the reason that some of the other administrators have relented and are at least showing they want to do the right thing.
Sly Fox wrote:Having been involved in some of the issues over the years with the administration, Corry has always been one to play hardball. I mean serious hardball. If he is in fact "retiring" this might be the reason that some of the other administrators have relented and are at least showing they want to do the right thing.
Agreed. Corry is part of the reason Liberty gets such a terrible PR image. He's one of the ones that needed to go yesterday.
Purple Haize liked this
stokesjokes wrote: November 4th, 2021, 3:05 pm Scott Lamb has published an open letter to the board featuring 28 action items for them to consider during their meetings this week. Any thoughts?
My thought is that Scott Lamb, is full of stuff that makes tomatoes grow, and an attention whore (like some others on the periphery) . I believe there is more to him than meets the eye. We will see.
flameshaw wrote: November 4th, 2021, 3:20 pm
stokesjokes wrote: November 4th, 2021, 3:05 pm Scott Lamb has published an open letter to the board featuring 28 action items for them to consider during their meetings this week. Any thoughts?
My thought is that Scott Lamb, is full of stuff that makes tomatoes grow, and an attention whore (like some others on the periphery) . I believe there is more to him than meets the eye. We will see.
Read his letter, I think you’d agree with most action items. Also, he refers to Prevo throughout as “acting president” :lol:

It’s on his Twitter page, but it’s broken into a zillion tweets, so not conducive to posting here, but here’s the first page:

willflop liked this
I also believe Scott Lamb is doing more than a little personal PR here... But no matter the motives, it's still wise to consider his perspective and ask if there's truth there.

Upon reading his recommendations, some are petty and personal but most are not. Most of his recommendations would make us feel confident in the Board again.

To say the University seems rudderless at the moment would be an understatement. If the Board doesn't like Lamb's recommendations, fine. But the Board should come out with a list of their own. Where are we going and how are we going to get there? Do we currently have genuine and credible leadership at the helm?
stokesjokes, ATrain liked this
Just announced in the the press conference, they just received a phone call from Jonathan Falwell that the executive committee has approved an independent audit. What that will include is still to be determined. So as long as the full board approves it tomorrow, it will move forward. More to come on this once the actual framework is approved.

stokesjokes, ATrain liked this
The Baker-Tilley investigation was a forensic audit of the university's financial dealings, and it was confined to financial matters exclusively. The proposed audit will review the sexual assault claims and whether the culture and governance on campus were/are equipped to address them.
I just typed exactly what was said in the press conference. It was very fresh at the time but you're right, it will probably be an investigation vs an audit. More should be known tomorrow once the full board votes on it. Or at least more should be known since the key in all of this will be transparency.

Also of note, this is only going to investigate the sexual assault allegation piece. Which is extremely important but it really isn't the whole picture. Much like the financial investigation that was done, if other items are found they won't be able to do anything about it or investigate further as their scope will only deal with the title IX/sexual assault allegations issue. I hope it is truly transparent and I also hope that it leads to a more in depth investigation into how the university does business. The board could do themselves a favor and at least review Lamb's document and consider taking some of those steps but I have a feeling they aren't going to give much time or credibility to Lamb since they just view him as a disgruntled employee. Which is why it is important for more people to speak up. So many have been silent or just talking in an off the record capacity, the time was to speak was over a year ago but better late than never.

All of this to say, there is still a man under employment that is mentioned several times in the lawsuit. He should, at the very least, be suspended until the investigation concludes. They will probably still have to pay him, but it is the least they should do until the independent investigation concludes.
Any new president who LU could convince to come in now would, I fear, be worthless. Not out of laziness but out of the unknown. The audit and investigation would shine light; a candidate would want to know what they’re in for.

I suspect the scope of the investigation is purposely narrow because there are places those in power don’t want light shined.
“We’re going to do something about this and I came really to hear more of their concerns. Quite frankly, I haven’t heard that many until very recently, so I came here tonight to show support that we’re concerned about what’s happened,” he said.
SOURCE

Where has this guy been? When I get asked why I keep railing on this guy, these kind of comments kind of hammer it home. He is incredibly out of touch. It is jo wonder Jr was able to run wild for so long.
Election 2022 and 2024

You think NY is winnable for Trump?!

Some statistics

Sometimes coaches will try to implement a philosop[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution,[…]

DOE Report

Gotta love presidential election season :roll: