This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

paradox wrote: October 28th, 2021, 9:30 am Well, you should do your research first. Otherwise you inadvertently play into their drama.
LIBERTY'S drama - the victims didn't cause this.

EDIT: And honestly, its not drama. This is a very serious matter.
thepostman liked this
thepostman wrote: October 28th, 2021, 9:43 am This is also really old information. So it is a bit disheartening that TH has been making comments on something the past few months that he hasn't actually researched. I guess since Tucker isn't spoon feeding it to him, It becomes difficult :D
I haven't research who the law firm/firms are that are representing all the Jane Does.

I just don't think any university is capable of stopping young adults from drinking off campus and being irresponsible. The Liberty way is a good, sets up some guardrails. But ultimately it's up to the individual to follow the rules and avoid trouble.
ATrain wrote: October 28th, 2021, 6:50 pm
paradox wrote: October 28th, 2021, 9:30 am Well, you should do your research first. Otherwise you inadvertently play into their drama.

All the drama and finger-pointing only serves to deflect from the real thing. And It trivializes those who may have actually been harmed.

TH Spangler wrote:Keep the campus safe ... full stop.

At some point people have to take personal responsibility and not do stupid things off campus. Off campus assaults should be directed to the local police dept.
How much experience do you have with the requirements of Title IX?

Based on some of your statements, it sounds like you don’t have any experience.

Again, victim blaming makes you a pretty terrible person.
Longshots, ATrain liked this
I think, as well as some on here that there are plenty of issues with Title XI. That really is another conversation, though. I get where TH is coming from. However, what is not acceptable is the lack of support for those who have suffered traumatic experiences such as sexual assault or rape.
stokesjokes liked this
TH Spangler wrote: October 28th, 2021, 7:57 pm Keep the campus safe ... full stop.

At some point people have to take personal responsibility and not do stupid things off campus. Off campus assaults should be directed to the local police dept.
Do you have a daughter?

My daughter is only 9 1/2 and I sure hope that she never has to go through anything like this but if she does my first question to her would not be to ask her about her choices. Also if I found out someone asked her that first instead of attempting to get to the bottom of things, God help that person.

Your attitude is very similar to the current corrupt leadership at our school and many others as well. It's pretty shameful.
jbock13, ATrain liked this
lawdawg2002 wrote: October 27th, 2021, 6:49 am Can someone explain to me why Christian organizations are so bad at handling sexual misconduct? I’ve had to report two Title IX cases at two different public universities, because the students came to me, and they were both handled. One resulted in the university protecting the student from another student and the other resulted in a faculty member being let go. Immediate action was taken in both instances. On the other hand, Christian organizations seem to cover up first and then hope for the best. Do I just pay more attention to Christian groups or is this a real issue?
Not surprised that you get no response to this question. Being involved at several levels with other local schools, I've always considered my institution to be operated in a much more ethical manner than LU. Sad, but some here seem to be blind to the tomfoolery of the school's leadership.
lawdawg2002 liked this
paradox wrote: October 28th, 2021, 7:48 pm
ATrain wrote: October 28th, 2021, 6:50 pm

All the drama and finger-pointing only serves to deflect from the real thing. And It trivializes those who may have actually been harmed.

Not may have...ACTUALLY been harmed. And those who have actually been harmed deserve to point the finger at those who harmed them, including the administration at LU.
TH Spangler wrote: October 28th, 2021, 7:57 pm Keep the campus safe ... full stop.

Here's a newsflash:
1. A person has a right to go off campus and stay out past curfew and NOT be raped or sexually assaulted
2. A person has the right to get drunk and NOT be raped or sexually assaulted
3. A person has the right to lie butt naked next to someone and NOT be raped or sexually assaulted
4. It doesn't matter what happens beforehand, if a person doesn't consent, they have the right to NOT be raped or sexually assaulted.
JK37 liked this
thepostman wrote: October 28th, 2021, 9:40 pm

Do you have a daughter?

My daughter is only 9 1/2 and I sure hope that she never has to go through anything like this but if she does my first question to her would not be to ask her about her choices. Also if I found out someone asked her that first instead of attempting to get to the bottom of things, God help that person.

Your attitude is very similar to the current corrupt leadership at our school and many others as well. It's pretty shameful.
TH is right - off campus should be a Lynchburg Police as the lead and LU disciplinary action ( and available resources and support for victim immediately ) after Police determine if there is a prosecutable case. Personal feelings shouldn’t enter in to it. Just a few years ago LU was sued for knee jerk reaction against athletes before they were found “ not guilty”. As for the Liberty Way/Honor Code - if you are going to protect one party you would have to protect the other in an assault case - example - no one will be disciplined for breaking Liberty Way when reporting a sexual assault/rape case - i.e. - the police say not enough evidence so LU says girl can stay but guy is getting expelled because there was alcohol even though no proof of assault. And if your girl goes to any school or town, city and lives off campus and is over 18, she will find reporting a sex crime - the process anywhere isn’t overly “friendly” and asking if she made the “right choices” will be one of the gentler questions in the proceedings. That said, LU needs to figure it out and do it way better than secular schools.
jimflamesfan liked this

And yes, I agree, the local authorities should handle this, because clearly the powers that be at LU don't know how to handle it in a way that helps the victims, only in a way to sweep it under the rug and protect their own image. HOWEVER, sweep enough under the rug and lumps begin to show...
And a great effort it was @stokesjokes. Your reasoning seems pretty sound to me.

Am I wrong to suggest that anyone who is reporting a crime should be forgiven for violating the Liberty Way in that circumstance and it should be public knowledge that this is the case? This would encourage victims to seek help and signal to the world that we take crime seriously.
ATrain liked this
I get what you are saying, Lawdog. But if "anyone reporting a crime" is forgiven, would that possibly lead to false accusations to avoid repercussion? I guess you could add something like this...if you report a crime reps will be suspended and if the person in question is found guilty then the reps will be dropped. But then would some students still be scared to come forward and take that chance? What if the accused one gets off on a technicality? On the other hand, Would just lowering the reps for drinking solve the problem? Male it like 1 or 2 reps...so it's not a "I may get kicked out of school or loose my scolarship" level of infraction but instead it's a "I may own a small fine" level of offense. I think you can still police drinking and discourage it on campus, even with the lower penalties. Off campus is gonna be tough no matter what you do. And again, I never drank and still don't. I'm just trying to figure out a solution where alcohol can still be discouraged but at the same time assaulted people aren't afraid to tell authorities about it over fear of Liberty Way violations.
rogers3 wrote: October 28th, 2021, 10:23 pm
lawdawg2002 wrote: October 27th, 2021, 6:49 am Can someone explain to me why Christian organizations are so bad at handling sexual misconduct? I’ve had to report two Title IX cases at two different public universities, because the students came to me, and they were both handled. One resulted in the university protecting the student from another student and the other resulted in a faculty member being let go. Immediate action was taken in both instances. On the other hand, Christian organizations seem to cover up first and then hope for the best. Do I just pay more attention to Christian groups or is this a real issue?
Not surprised that you get no response to this question. Being involved at several levels with other local schools, I've always considered my institution to be operated in a much more ethical manner than LU. Sad, but some here seem to be blind to the tomfoolery of the school's leadership.
I just read an article the other day that covered the same issues at multiple seculars institutions. It blows that narrative.

Also if a mod edits a post they should explain why.

@ Yacht, 40 years ago I didn't witness the type behavior in my deleted link by high school facility.

I don't remember field trips to gay bars either?
https://nypost.com/2021/10/28/florida-s ... ield-trip/

These issues are not unique to conservative instructions. But conservative values are under under attack in the public school system like never before. I appreciate Liberty trying to push back.
I don't hold a degree from those institutions. TH, do you hold a degree from LU? I know it happens in other places and in some cases it is worse and I would hope alumni and other members of that community would step up and challenge those institutions.

I care about LU because I believe in it's mission. Stuff like this hurts the mission and it needs to be taken care of. We should never compare ourselves to other institutions, let alone secular ones. After all, as our founder said "if it's Christian it ought to be better.
ATrain liked this
@jimflamesfan I'm not saying it would be easy to do, just wondering if it wouldn't help. I can't cite them for you; but from what I hear in interviews and such, even with such a policy, it is difficult to get victims to come forward. Obviously, I wouldn't want anyone to use it as a get out of jail free card, but if I were an administrator I could not sleep at night if I thought a rape victim didn't report it because she was afraid she would be kicked out for drinking.

Btw. I have a daughter who is a sophomore at a major R1 who considered LU until a girl was assaulted while they were at LU for church camp. Hated to send her to a secular university, but so many students choose LU because of the perception of going away from home to a safe environment. Ultimately, she said if LU is no safer than a secular university, she was going to get the best degree she could and just make sure she made a lot of Christian friends there.
paradox wrote: October 29th, 2021, 12:49 am It's a good question. How do we know that such a protocol doesn't exist?
If you actually take the time to read and listen to the experiences of victims, and people who know the victims and what they went through, then you'd know.
thepostman liked this

If I understand this correctly, starting July 1st,[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]