This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Recently talked to guy with a long career in Christian academia (he recently declined a request for interest as president of a mid-size Christian college) and knowledge of LU. I mentioned to him I thought LU needed to get someone heavy on education and light on controversy. He said that if they have hired the search firm they are rumored to they should get a good hire. One can hope.
flameshaw wrote: November 15th, 2021, 8:49 pm I realized the other day, it is going to take longer to name a president of LU that it is going to take to name a head football coach for USC. Talk about :BS . 8)
Who would possibly want the job at this point?! Certainly nobody worthwhile.
Just John wrote: November 15th, 2021, 11:00 pm Recently talked to guy with a long career in Christian academia (he recently declined a request for interest as president of a mid-size Christian college) and knowledge of LU. I mentioned to him I thought LU needed to get someone heavy on education and light on controversy. He said that if they have hired the search firm they are rumored to they should get a good hire. One can hope.
One certainly can hope. But search firms aren’t miracle workers. Lazarus ain’t walking through that door.

Ask yourself this: what respectable football coach could FIU hire right now?

In academia, the LU job looks worse. :shock:
Just John wrote: November 15th, 2021, 11:00 pm Recently talked to guy with a long career in Christian academia (he recently declined a request for interest as president of a mid-size Christian college) and knowledge of LU. I mentioned to him I thought LU needed to get someone heavy on education and light on controversy. He said that if they have hired the search firm they are rumored to they should get a good hire. One can hope.
Delicate balance there. Unfortunately true Christianity has always been controversial and will be more so in the age we're living in.

Dr Voddie Baucham has all the degrees you crave and is bold in his beliefs.
The question of who would take the job in this climate is really interesting. When one looks at the job, they have to consider what is the biggest issue facing LU right now and in the next five years? Are the the Title IX issues with sexual assault? Is it academics? Is it the board? Is it nepotism and the drain it puts on quality and finances? Is it just the general reputation of the school? Is it the spiritual climate on campus (I have not heard there is a problem, but you always have to be vigilant in this area)? Did I miss any? Are there issues that are not public yet?

I've said here and will reiterate, because of LU's top down model, similar to American universities of the early to mid 1800's, and overflowing bank vaults, LU's problems can be fixed quickly by university standards. It just takes the right people. Of course, if I know this, so do people who are professionals at doing nothing, making a lot of money and building kingdoms for themselves.
Prevo, pro-apartheid in the mid 1980s?

http://www.henkimaa.com/2009/05/29/prevos-devil-masks/

Since his return, Prevo has sparked considerable controversy due to his remarks made about the trip. The minister told reporters that South Africa’s white President Pieter Botha was a committed reformer, that blacks did not want a “one-man one-vote” democracy and that South African blacks did not want Americans to pull their investments from the country as a protest against apartheid.
Whatisthetruth wrote: November 16th, 2021, 9:00 am Prevo, pro-apartheid in the mid 1980s?

Since his return, Prevo has sparked considerable controversy due to his remarks made about the trip. The minister told reporters that South Africa’s white President Pieter Botha was a committed reformer, that blacks did not want a “one-man one-vote” democracy and that South African blacks did not want Americans to pull their investments from the country as a protest against apartheid.
I mean, in the article he is explicitly quoted saying he’s against apartheid, but, functionally, yeah. The sticky part is so was Falwell Sr. at the time.
Trying to view historical issues through a current lens is rarely productive. Without context it is tough to decipher thought processes. Suffice it to say that many in the LU community regret stances taken back then from a political perspective. It doesn't mean that they haven't seen the light since.
Sly Fox wrote: November 16th, 2021, 10:11 am Trying to view historical issues through a current lens is rarely productive. Without context it is tough to decipher thought processes. Suffice it to say that many in the LU community regret stances taken back then from a political perspective. It doesn't mean that they haven't seen the light since.
For me it is about action rather than words. A current director-level individual was implicated by several Jane Does and is still employed, not on leave, and still in charge of student health records. Individuals who helped cover it up and move him from Dean of Students to an out of the way job are still employed and not on leave pending an investigation. Others in the administration knew about this, and probably a lot more beyond the allegations against the above referenced individuals.

Jr, and others, were made aware of the harassment I am referencing as early as 2012 in writing. If the internal investigation failed to locate these emails then I would question the quality of that effort.
For me, one of the more telling admissions by Prevo is that he didn’t know anything going on at LU before he became President. What did he think his role was? It is a blatant admission that he wasn’t doing his job then - to say nothing of whether he is now or not.

It’s funny, since JJ was known to comment how convenient it was that the only person who he had to appease was in Alaska!

At best, incompetence. At worst, negligence. Both are grounds for removal.

But under what apparatus could removal happen? The only way we know for sure a President of LU can be removed is in the face of gross and overwhelming evidence of misconduct.

A godly man should welcome accountability. I’m genuinely asking, Mr. Prevo: who holds you accountable in your role as President of LU?

So as long as evidence is kept quiet, everyone gets to stay put.
Whatisthetruth wrote: November 16th, 2021, 9:00 am Prevo, pro-apartheid in the mid 1980s?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Prevo is out of his element and over his head. He needs to go, like yesterday. But over 40 years ago? Get a life.
LUOrange liked this
Sly Fox wrote: November 16th, 2021, 12:30 pm The Julie Roys story certainly brings Tim Lee's leaership role into significant question. And he's the one supposed to b holding Prevo accountable? What a mess.
Tim Lee is a certifiable whack job. He is another one that needs to go yesterday.

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]