This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Didn't mean to trigger you. Sounds like you have a lot of rage built up for some reason. Sorry to hear that.

My point was LU hasn't followed through with their promises made months ago about combating sexual assault. Absolutely nothing they promised has actually had any follow through. They are doing what any organization does with bad leadership, hope everybody just simply forgets.

But the tower was teal last night. All is fine :roll:
ATrain liked this
thepostman wrote: April 14th, 2022, 1:54 pm Didn't mean to trigger you. Sounds like you have a lot of rage built up for some reason. Sorry to hear that.
I’m on your side with the point of this thread, but this is too far. This argument of Triggered Anger is so common, and it’s often ridiculous and doesn’t further the sharing of ideas. It begins with a false premise. He may have been sarcastic at most (and I see his point), but never angry or raging in his post.
flamehunter liked this
Ill flame wrote: April 14th, 2022, 4:08 pm Honest question because I don't bother following every LU controversy. What promises did they make and which ones haven't been kept?
Told a group they met with they'd do an truly independent investigation

Put up call boxes

Promised to take things seriously but they have continued to downplay the impact of sexual assault on their students.

I'm sure there are more but those are these ones I'm aware of.

JK37 wrote:
thepostman wrote: April 14th, 2022, 1:54 pm Didn't mean to trigger you. Sounds like you have a lot of rage built up for some reason. Sorry to hear that.
I’m on your side with the point of this thread, but this is too far. This argument of Triggered Anger is so common, and it’s often ridiculous and doesn’t further the sharing of ideas. It begins with a false premise. He may have been sarcastic at most (and I see his point), but never angry or raging in his post.
Maybe I misinterpreted the tone. Easy to do in this format. I'm not sure I could connect the dots with what I said with what he said. Such is life.
ATrain liked this
@thepostman probably misinterpreted. Yes, easy in this format.

And if you can’t connect what you said to what he said prior, it could be withheld from being said until clarification is gained. Otherwise, you find yourself needing to apologize for misinterpretation (Such is life”?!) and, worse, the exchange of ideas suffers.

However, it is true that “LU hasn't followed through with their promises made months ago about combating sexual assault. Absolutely nothing they promised has actually had any follow through. They are doing what any organization does with bad leadership, hope everybody just simply forgets.”

You won’t forget. Good. It shouldn’t be forgotten. Let’s not let the sarcasm of others take our eye off the ball here.
WSET wrote:Liberty student accused of rape files $1.35M countersuit against accuser

by Cynthia Beasley
Wednesday, April 20th 2022

LYNCHBURG, Va. (WSET) — A former Liberty University student accused of rape is now suing his accuser for more than $1.3 million.

In November 2021, a woman under the name "Jane Doe" filed a lawsuit saying she was a student at Liberty University when another student drugged her and raped her in October 2020. The lawsuit claims she became pregnant after. Her attorney says Liberty University swept her case under the rug.
Click Here for Full Story

Full suit filing with names redacted:
LUconn wrote: April 28th, 2022, 7:51 am So intentional or incompetence? Seems like if it were intentional they would have been aware at that point that people were on to them.
Good question LUConn.

As you can see long-time HR employee (20+ years or so) Steve Foster was quietly promoted to EVP of HR. Is it shocking that after a national search the best candidate to run an HR department rife with scandal due to the previous EVP was already on staff?

https://www.liberty.edu/human-resources ... afflisting

Staff Listing
Steve Foster – Executive Vice President of Human Resources
Shonna Meadows -Executive Director of HR Advising and Special Projects
LUconn wrote: April 28th, 2022, 7:51 am So intentional or incompetence? Seems like if it were intentional they would have been aware at that point that people were on to them.
I don’t think most people involved consciously or intentionally cover up rape. They just have warped perspectives and priorities. I’ve seen this directly in some other areas on campus.

Take, for instance, the perspective that most department heads have at LU right now: “come to me with your problems, don’t go to HR.” It sounds nice and warm, like they’re going to go to bat for you, but, in practice, it creates bad situations and outcomes where HR would have been really useful to have been involved.

In fact, HR sent out a survey about a month ago where one of the questions was to the effect of “have you been discouraged from going to HR?” It seems at least HR is aware of this problem and is trying to fix it.
Sly Fox wrote: April 29th, 2022, 9:16 am The wagons have been circled by the board and ELT. They now perceive this all as persecution and are digging in further.
Sly, they better have some big wagons because the Feds are involved now.

Liberty University’s Handling of Sexual Assaults Under Investigation by Department of Education

https://www.propublica.org/article/libe ... -education
The feds are actually less of a concern than the parents of kids considering whether it is safe for their kids to attend LU. But I doubt the administrators see it that way. It is easier to fixate on the ramifications than to focus on addressing the causes.
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/202 ... nvestigate

Maybe this should be a different thread but since this article lumps it all together I will too. Is anybody here familiar with "Armor Bearers?" This reports it's some kind of conversion therapy. But I also know that can be a broadly used term.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... university

I found this article with a bit about Armor Bearers, sounds like it's a re-branding of old conversion therapy groups with the conversion part cut out:

"“Armor Bearers is certainly unique in the way they approach things. They try to walk this balance between saying ‘God made you this way and it’s OK’– that it’s this thing that you have no control over, but at the same time, you have to repress,” he said. “They certainly walked the line between telling you that being attracted to somebody of the same sex, romantically or sexually, was not sinful, while making you feel like it was a sin to be confessed every time you had that attraction.”

Every week, Pastor Dane Emerick “would start by trying to guide us into being biblical men, basically using the Bible to redirect the homosexuality into a more platonic form, while also having time where we would confess our urges to one another and how we had ‘struggled’ with same-sex attraction that week and if we’d ‘overcome’ it or not. All the while stating that they weren’t trying to make us straight, but if we did turn out straight that was OK,” Dave said. “They didn’t want to try to make us straight, but they didn’t want us to really express that part of our sexuality because it was still viewed as sinful.”"
Quit a bit to unpack over the past 24 hours in regard to the lawsuits:
NewsAdvance wrote:Settlement notice filed in Jane Does' lawsuit against Liberty University

From staff reports

A lawsuit filed in July by 12 anonymous women who claimed Liberty University not only failed to help them after they reported sexual assaults or sexual misconduct but made the college more dangerous through its responses has been settled, according to court documents filed Wednesday.

The suit, filed in July in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York on behalf of a dozen “Jane Doe” plaintiffs, accused the school of "enabling on-campus rapes" and specifically referenced LU's honor code, the "Liberty Way."

A notice seeking the suit's dismissal due to settlement was filed Wednesday by the plaintiffs' attorney, Jack Larkin. Details of the settlement were not available in court documents.

Then there is very disturbing story from Julie Roys' site:
The Roys Report wrote:EXCLUSIVE: Plaintiff in Class-Action Lawsuit Accuses Liberty U of ‘Retraumatizing’ & ‘Insulting’ Jane Does

By Sarah Einselen
May 10, 2022
6:12 pm CDT

In an exclusive interview with The Roys Report (TRR), a rape victim and plaintiff in a highly publicized class-action lawsuit against Liberty University says the university retraumatized and “insulted” her and other Jane Does in recent mediation.
The class-action lawsuit was filed last July and initially involved 12 Jane Does who alleged that Liberty had created an unsafe environment that enabled on-campus rapes. Within months, 10 other Jane Does joined the lawsuit.

According to the Does’ attorney, Jack Larkin, 20 of the Does settled with Liberty in mediation at the end of April, but two of the Does refused to settle. Larkin said the terms of mediation don’t allow him to disclose settlement amounts.

One of those who refused to settle is Sarah Mays, who spoke exclusively with TRR and requested we use her real name

It’s frustrating for those of us in the Liberty community that we have to learn about these things from reporters’ twitters. You would think they could send this out to faculty, staff, and students. They’re not even trying to pretend that this isn’t about PR.
stokesjokes wrote: May 11th, 2022, 8:29 pm

It’s frustrating for those of us in the Liberty community that we have to learn about these things from reporters’ twitters. You would think they could send this out to faculty, staff, and students. They’re not even trying to pretend that this isn’t about PR.
Do you believe that USC and the other school mentioned have not tried to coverup or settle the accusations against them? I assume multiple rapes occur every day on college campuses. The issue with cases like this, it is almost always a he said, she said situation.
I am sure that there have been numerous instances of sexual assault at LU. I am not trying to say these women aren't telling the truth. However, there are a few things that concern me. If these women are truly concerned about stopping rape, assault, etc. then why does it take just a little money to silence them? Even though I find many things fishy about the woman's story- that did not settle- I respect her for not taking the money. (I suspect she would have if it was $1M or more).
People tend to bring all kinds of suits against institutions, businesses, others, just because they have money. Many times it is easier for the accused just to pay, than to go to court.
I am sure LU is not guiltless by any sort of measure. But why publicize something that may or may not have happened? I don't know anyone who does that.
LUOrange liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]