This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Any corporation or organization of this size is going to have policies and procedures. So, all that will be looked at. Training records matter. Corrective and/or progressive action when procedures aren't followed matter as well. Document, document, document, is the mantra that mangers and hr professionals are familiar with. This stuff weighs heavy.
ATrain wrote: October 29th, 2021, 8:47 am
paradox wrote: October 29th, 2021, 12:49 am It's a good question. How do we know that such a protocol doesn't exist?
If you actually take the time to read and listen to the experiences of victims, and people who know the victims and what they went through, then you'd know.
Does Paradox work for Red Finch?
I am not sure how familiar people are with Rachael's work but she is very good in shining light in very dark places and getting to the truth. LU has agreed to put in blue light call boxes but that has been close to 20 years in the making. A truly independent investigation is needed and it needs to be truly transparent. If having the help of Rachel gets that done, then we may be able to finally see some real change.
stokesjokes, ATrain liked this
I know you're joking. I think so anyways but I don't think anybody is in favor of sexual assault. I think some of this message board probably think that is what I think but I don't actually think that. I think people, especially in Baptist circles I have been in all my life, lean towards protecting institutions over people. I'm not even sure people always realize they are doing it. That is what has been going on at LU and within the community. The attitude of bc is not a rarity. His attitude is far more common than not. It is why it's hard for me to believe much will change.
ATrain liked this
I don’t think ballcoach thinks he’s in favor of sexual assault, but he sure talks like he is.

It’s sorta like how no one thinks they’re racist. Working in the rural parts of this area, I’ve had several clients say things like, “I’m not racist, but I don’t think blacks and whites should marry each other.” Well, congratulations, you’re racist.
thepostman, ballah09 liked this
thepostman wrote: November 3rd, 2021, 6:04 pm I know you're joking. I think so anyways but I don't think anybody is in favor of sexual assault. I think some of this message board probably think that is what I think but I don't actually think that. I think people, especially in Baptist circles I have been in all my life, lean towards protecting institutions over people. I'm not even sure people always realize they are doing it. That is what has been going on at LU and within the community. The attitude of bc is not a rarity. His attitude is far more common than not. It is why it's hard for me to believe much will change.
Sadly, what folks fail to understand is....by exposing corruption and neglect, you really ARE protecting the institution. LU cannot truly thrive if this is not dealt with. The most prized resource LU has IS our collective community (students, alumni, faculty, staff, etc). It makes no sense why everyone (well, except the ones with self-serving agendas) wouldn't want them protected and issues addressed. Those who "lean towards" what they believe is protecting the institution, generally under closer review, have something personal to protect or simply do not see the long term affects of their blind "loyalty". Neither of which will benefit the institution in the long run.
stokesjokes, ballah09 liked this
Ballcoach, you’re posts and attitude is what is part of the problem at LU. Your mindset is no different than that is the of the Senior Admin’s response to the sexual assault scandal. You’ve even gone on the record where you don’t believe these women’s accounts of their horrific experience. What if this assault happened to your daughter or loved one at LU? Would you believe them if the told you they were sexual assaulted or raped at LU? Would you ask them why they put themselves in that situation, or why they were weren’t wearing trousers when there were raped. You’re part of the problem and why LU can’t change until LU rid itself of people like you. You’re not a Christ follower, your part of the corruption problems at LU.
ballah09 wrote: November 3rd, 2021, 9:53 pm

This is a joke and I hope they still go through with it. Give them all the bad PR since that's all what they care about.
ATrain liked this
From similar circumstances before, I remember the administration taking the tack of “no one unaffiliated with the university on campus.” Students, staff, and faculty can meet and it sounds like they are still planning to do so. Rachael would be “trespassing.”

For people who are obsessed with their PR, though, they have to know how bad this looks from the outside. This isn’t some liberal coming to shake things up. This is a woman with evangelical bona fides who led the way against what was probably the most infamous case of sexual assaults and cover-ups in our country’s history. Denying her access is clearly choosing the wrong side, despite whatever nice words Prevo and Falwell had to say about blue call boxes yesterday.
Jerry Prevo has proven once again that he is not prepared to lead this University. As @stokesjokes said, Rachael is not only a great advocate for sexual assault victims, she is an evangelical Christian. She is someone LU thought highly enough to bring in to talk to the Law school and to the student body at convo about this very topic. What has changed? This just proves to me that all the words Mr. Prevo and Mr. Falwell said yesterday were just that, words.

I loved my time at LU and I know from talking to people still working there, that there are still a lot of special people there but I am so discouraged time and time again by Prevo, the executive committee and the board. There are a few board members who's terms end today. I am sure they'll be renewed but I really hope they aren't. It is time for new voices and fresh ideas because the status quo isn't working.
ATrain liked this
Not defending LU here, because it's run by a bunch of clowns with no moral backbone, but...
Did we all forget what a publicity stunt looks like? "Prayer vigil", right. "I just came here peacefully with pure intentions", also I'm going to blast it all over social media, and here's an article written about everything...
Both sides are playing PR games, let's call it like it is.
I like Rachael D and she's done some great work, but she's far from perfect.
flameshaw liked this
Nobody is claiming she is perfect...

She would just be a great advocate for truth and change and is very well respected on this topic. So much so, LU invited her to speak on it. If they are serious about change then maybe they should listen to people like her who lived through hell because of institutional coverups.

Prevo, the executive committee, and the board have done nothing over the past 10+ years to earn my trust or respect. They allowed Jr to spiral out of control and they then turned and gave Prevo, a guy less qualified, the same power as Jr which caused things to spiral out of control in the first place. So I don't trust them to do the right thing here and think a voice like Rachael's would be a great thing.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]