This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote: September 13th, 2021, 12:16 pm
BlueBlood wrote:BTW - when someone makes a statement that Liberty University's COVID policies and procedures have led to hospitals filling up with coronavirus patients, I don't think its disrespectful to ask how many LU students have been hospitalized. I think that is a reasonable follow-up question. I'd kind of like to know the answer, wouldn't you?
True but it also shows a limited view of how their policies can impact others.

I'll give an example with my church. Our church is made up of a lot of Liberty students. We've been handling things pretty well during the summer. Since Liberty has returned, over 1/3 of our students across all ages were exposed to COVID and I know there are several positive cases.

The church has been forced to go virtual until the end of September now due to that impact.

My point is, the Liberty students don't exist in a bubble. In the Lynchburg community, we've seen cases and hospitalizations rise at the same time Liberty residential students returned to the community.
Thank you for answering... I get frustrated when people don't use their common sense.
badger74 liked this
By cruzan_flame13
TH Spangler wrote: September 13th, 2021, 9:24 am I took the Fauci experimental vaccine to hopefully temporarily boost my immune system to fight the Fauci-19 virus. That just about sums it up. Why hasn't Fauci been retired, is he the only virologist we have?
It's easier to lie to the people, than for the people to admit [that] they believe in lies. No other sickness exist except covid and that false positives never really happened till now and that patients are automatically a covid patient (and will be treated as one) until proven otherwise. I'm sure they have deducted those number of patients that have been proven otherwise. Numbers are just numbers and the accuracy should always be questioned. To each their own.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Not Liberty connected but several family members in northern Virginia came down with it over the past two weeks. All of them had mild cases and were back to normal in a couple days. They're in better shape than myself now. Natural immunity.
By BlueBlood
rogers3 wrote: September 13th, 2021, 12:38 pm
Yacht Rock wrote: September 13th, 2021, 12:16 pm
BlueBlood wrote:BTW - when someone makes a statement that Liberty University's COVID policies and procedures have led to hospitals filling up with coronavirus patients, I don't think its disrespectful to ask how many LU students have been hospitalized. I think that is a reasonable follow-up question. I'd kind of like to know the answer, wouldn't you?
True but it also shows a limited view of how their policies can impact others.

I'll give an example with my church. Our church is made up of a lot of Liberty students. We've been handling things pretty well during the summer. Since Liberty has returned, over 1/3 of our students across all ages were exposed to COVID and I know there are several positive cases.

The church has been forced to go virtual until the end of September now due to that impact.

My point is, the Liberty students don't exist in a bubble. In the Lynchburg community, we've seen cases and hospitalizations rise at the same time Liberty residential students returned to the community.
Thank you for answering... I get frustrated when people don't use their common sense.
But you realize that works both ways right?

I see LU getting blamed in the LYH media and to a certain degree on here for LYH's uptick in cases. Maybe that is the case. Maybe there wouldn't be an uptick in LYH without LU. I highly doubt it though. Common sense says its not all LU's fault and the LU students COVID impact on the greater community isn't as big as some are making it out to be. Listening to some on here, you would think that LU was the Wuhan lab.

The whole country has seen a spike. But it seems like a lot of folks squarely have LU in their focus as the only possible explanation. No one ever seems to consider:
- that maybe LYH is seeing the same spike that other places around the country/world are
- that vaccines are not keeping people from getting it like we with thought they would
- that folks in LYH went on vacations and came home
- that schools just started and daily routines just changed for a lot of folks.
- that a lot of folks have COVID fatigue and aren't living as strictly to guidelines as they were earlier in the pandemic
- or any other non-LU factor.

All I've been hearing lately is that its all LU students fault. Which is getting a little old.

My community also had a spike recently. But I'm not going to sit here and blame USF students or UTampa students or the gazillions of outsiders that vacation in Tampa Bay. Its a global pandemic.

I'm not saying that LU has gotten everything right, but I do see them trying to do the right things and the heat coming back on them seems way out of proportion.
LU 57, PAmedic liked this
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
With everything you just stated as a given to other reasons for a spike, doesn't it make it all the more important for LU to have had a plan in place to reduce their COVID impact in our community?

Some thoughts-

-Vaccinations?
-Masks?
-Testing prior to returning to campus?

These are all steps that schools and students across the nation have done to get back to a residential experience.

Maybe LU doesn't trust that their students are strong enough to handle those kinds of responsibilities. I don't know.
badger74 liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I think it’s a both/and. We’d probably be seeing a spike right now regardless because of delta and because our community vaccination rate is low.

At the same time, LYH has the third highest positivity rate in the country right now. It’s not LU alone, but it’s really hard to not look at the LU side and say it’s not a contributing factor. The kids may not be hospitalized, but they’re vectors of transmission in a community that’s being hit harder than almost anywhere in the country right now. In September so far, we’re averaging 2 COVID deaths at LGH per day.

https://newsadvance.com/news/local/all- ... e-trending
By BlueBlood
Yacht Rock, I think your list really comes down to vaccinations. LU is already recommending masks indoors and I don't think there is a need to test non-symptomatic folks who have not knowingly been exposed to COVID.

So really, the beef comes down to the vaccines and I just don't expect LU to go there. If the vaccines were shown to be more effective, there would be a better argument for requiring them. But, as many of us can attest to personally - we got COVID even with the vaccine. Now, I'm glad I was vaccinated - because I'm convinced that it kept me out of the hospital. But, I'm 50. My symptoms with the vaccine were worse than my 17-year-olds symptoms without the vaccine. I think most would expect that kids LU students ages would have similarly mild symptoms. So, the LU kids really don't have much of a "lessen your symptoms" reasoning for getting it.

But really, I just think the shade thrown LU students way is way out of proportion to any perceived crime of not being vaccinated. (or I should say even the perception of being unvaccinated. One of my daughters at LU is and one isn't. You wouldn't know the difference to pass them in the street)
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
BlueBlood wrote:Yacht Rock, I think your list really comes down to vaccinations. LU is already recommending masks indoors and I don't think there is a need to test non-symptomatic folks who have not knowingly been exposed to COVID.

So really, the beef comes down to the vaccines and I just don't expect LU to go there. If the vaccines were shown to be more effective, there would be a better argument for requiring them. But, as many of us can attest to personally - we got COVID even with the vaccine. Now, I'm glad I was vaccinated - because I'm convinced that it kept me out of the hospital. But, I'm 50. My symptoms with the vaccine were worse than my 17-year-olds symptoms without the vaccine. I think most would expect that kids LU students ages would have similarly mild symptoms. So, the LU kids really don't have much of a "lessen your symptoms" reasoning for getting it.

But really, I just think the shade thrown LU students way is way out of proportion to any perceived crime of not being vaccinated. (or I should say even the perception of being unvaccinated. One of my daughters at LU is and one isn't. You wouldn't know the difference to pass them in the street)
I don't blame the students as much as I do the administration. Student behavior will pretty much be the same regardless of institution and I don't think the institution where I work is any better or any worse than LU students in that regard.

The difference is in how administrators take the opportunity to "lead" their students. And for Liberty, this shouldn't be a foreign idea. There's a reason they have the Liberty Way in place. They feel that, in some cases, they have to ask their students to practice/not practice certain behaviors.

In this case, Liberty is letting the students make the decision, instead of leading and recognizing that student behavior may not be in the best interest of the community.
By cruzan_flame13
Easily start from 23:10 till the end. This interview was done about two years ago. I have been asking and making the same reasonable and sensible advice, yet he now makes an exact u turn on common sense? So what does that say about society and what does that explain about the reaction that folks have on Liberty? Still a thought, a very wacko thought apparently.

By BlueBlood
Yacht Rock, We just aren’t going to see eye to eye on how harmful an unvaccinated 19-year old is to the greater community. I truly think they stand an extremely small chance of using any hospital resources in the community. But, I’m not going to try to convince you. I respect your opinion.

I’m vaccinated and I encourage anyone who thinks they might have difficulties with COVID side effects to get vaccinated. I’ve lost confidence that the vaccines stop transmission, but I still think they are worth while to subdue side effects and keep folks out of the hospital.

I encourage everyone (vaccinated or not) to quarantine upon the first onset of symptoms. For college aged kids, I think this is probably far more important than the vaccinated vs unvaccinated debate.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Some of you keep rambling on about Fauci. As far as I know, only wild leftists are happy with the guy. I'm a big believer in the vaccines (for adults) and even I can't stand the guy.
ballcoach15, rtb72, badger74 liked this
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
BlueBlood wrote:Yacht Rock, We just aren’t going to see eye to eye on how harmful an unvaccinated 19-year old is to the greater community. I truly think they stand an extremely small chance of using any hospital resources in the community. But, I’m not going to try to convince you. I respect your opinion.

I’m vaccinated and I encourage anyone who thinks they might have difficulties with COVID side effects to get vaccinated. I’ve lost confidence that the vaccines stop transmission, but I still think they are worth while to subdue side effects and keep folks out of the hospital.

I encourage everyone (vaccinated or not) to quarantine upon the first onset of symptoms. For college aged kids, I think this is probably far more important than the vaccinated vs unvaccinated debate.
You're very focused on the vaccine element of this. That's only one part of LU's misstep and honestly, not even the biggest one.

Mitigation is a multi-pronged approach. Which prongs did Liberty adopt prior to students returning to Lynchburg?
By BlueBlood
Well, LU is recommending masks indoors and social distancing indoors, so I didn’t think there was much to talk about there. Actually, as I state above - For college aged kids, I think proper quarantining is probably far more important than the vaccinated vs unvaccinated debate. Getting college-age kids (regardless of vaccine status or where they go to college) to properly quarantine is a big battle.
By BlueBlood
For those unaware:

LU COVID-19 Mitigation Update
Sept. 9, 2021

The guidelines and updates listed below will be in effect following the conclusion of the COVID-19 mitigation period on Friday, Sept. 10, 2021, until further notice. Liberty is resuming classes and indoor gatherings in a balanced way that both allows members of the campus community to select the university experiences they desire and respects the rights and responsibilities of individuals to make basic health decisions about vaccination and mask usage themselves.

Highlights

All classes will resume in-person instruction with a digital instruction component.

Masks and physical distancing are strongly encouraged, particularly where signage is posted and when visiting local churches and businesses.

Indoor sports, events, and activities will be limited to 50% space capacity.

Convocation and Campus Community will take place in Williams Stadium until further notice.

Digital attendance options are provided wherever possible when attendance is mandatory.

Vaccinations are encouraged, and clinics are available for students, faculty, and staff.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Why isn’t Liberty requiring masks in those areas instead of suggesting?

I employ a Liberty student who was complaining that LU tells her she can’t wear shorts in class in the summer but is afraid to tell students they have to wear a mask during a pandemic.

Why are these mitigation “half” measures put in place now? Did they not have enough foresight to realize this would be an issue?
puttincomputers liked this
By BlueBlood
Interestingly, my local Target only "Encourages" wearing masks in the store. LU seemingly goes above and beyond by "Strongly encouraging" mask use. :D

Listen, some group of people will find fault with LU however they handles this. I'd probably do a few things a little differently, but overall I'm okay with their approach.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BlueBlood wrote: September 13th, 2021, 5:22 pm For those unaware:

LU COVID-19 Mitigation Update
Sept. 9, 2021

The guidelines and updates listed below will be in effect following the conclusion of the COVID-19 mitigation period on Friday, Sept. 10, 2021, until further notice. Liberty is resuming classes and indoor gatherings in a balanced way that both allows members of the campus community to select the university experiences they desire and respects the rights and responsibilities of individuals to make basic health decisions about vaccination and mask usage themselves.

Highlights

All classes will resume in-person instruction with a digital instruction component.

Masks and physical distancing are strongly encouraged, particularly where signage is posted and when visiting local churches and businesses.

Indoor sports, events, and activities will be limited to 50% space capacity.

Convocation and Campus Community will take place in Williams Stadium until further notice.

Digital attendance options are provided wherever possible when attendance is mandatory.

Vaccinations are encouraged, and clinics are available for students, faculty, and staff.
Seems like a common-sense overall approach to me which gives some options for people to make their own decisions on how cautious they want to be. Smart move to go outdoors with convo. REALLY hoping the 50% on indoor sports will be gone by basketball season.
stokesjokes liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: September 13th, 2021, 2:05 pm LYH DAN just hosted one of the biggest rock festivals in the country. Might that contribute to the numbers soon.
Dude I have so much dust and dirt in my lungs The Rona couldn’t get in my system if it tried! And I’ll be pooping sandcastles for weeks!
LUOrange liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: September 13th, 2021, 11:03 pm
TH Spangler wrote: September 13th, 2021, 2:05 pm LYH DAN just hosted one of the biggest rock festivals in the country. Might that contribute to the numbers soon.
Dude I have so much dust and dirt in my lungs The Rona couldn’t get in my system if it tried! And I’ll be pooping sandcastles for weeks!
:lol: Yea, I'm sure you're fine. According to the local newspaper and parents at Lynchburg University it only spreads at convo and when Liberty kids go shopping near campus. :wink:
LU 57, ballcoach15 liked this
By Whatisthetruth
rogers3 wrote: September 14th, 2021, 8:32 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: September 14th, 2021, 6:27 pm Has anyone seen Dr Prevo on campus recently?
:lol:
Prevo cut and run when Covid hit the campus hard. What do you expect from a man with no credentials? I am also curious why anyone addresses him as Dr. He has no earned graduate degree of any type at any level.
ballcoach15 liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]