This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By tyndal23
BlueBlood wrote: September 5th, 2021, 5:45 pm I notice that the CDC clearly states that the Delta variant is only causing infections in a small proportion of people who are fully vaccinated. They advise that "Some breakthrough infections are expected, but remain rare.”

Is this what you guys are seeing in your communities?

My whole friend group just got taken down by Delta - it didn’t seem to discriminate between vaccinated or unvaccinated at all. We all got it (I have it right now). Crazy enough, in some of the families that had both a vaccinated and unvaccinated spouse, the vaccinated spouse got it first.

From my on the ground observations, Im not convinced that the vaccines provide any protection at all from GETTING the Delta variant. I am however convinced that the vaccines are lessening the symptoms.

Anyway, just curious if you guys are seeing the same indiscriminating characteristics regarding Delta transmission in your areas. I live in Tampa, so obviously we were probably a little closer to the front end of the Delta wave.
“CDC Clearly States” is a weekly recurring contradiction from earlier “clearly stated” CDC statements but somehow not deemed “misinformation” by the press. Just quietly “erased”.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Tyndal and Cruzn remind me of my youth when I tried to convince Ron Paul supporters not to be so nutty.
By tyndal23
jbock13 wrote: September 5th, 2021, 11:12 pm Tyndal and Cruzn remind me of my youth when I tried to convince Ron Paul supporters not to be so nutty.
I was dumb in my youth as well. Now I wish I didn’t know now what I do know ( wait isn’t that a song ?). If you never heard of Fauci, Soros,Bill Gates ties to Vaccines, Soros/media - before 2020 - then yes - everything would appear “normal” and Cruzan and I are “nuts”.
By cruzan_flame13
jbock13 wrote: September 5th, 2021, 11:12 pm Tyndal and Cruzn remind me of my youth when I tried to convince Ron Paul supporters not to be so nutty.
Yet a lot of what Ron Paul has warned the American people have been corrected. Look at government spending and the Federal Reserve printing of money. Lets even look at the outbreak of what occurring with Afghanistan. It's so easy to call people names when one doesn't look and figure things out themselves and depend on others who have a title or position. Same thing applies here with what's occurring for this past 17-18 months. Clearly there's medical profeesionals/administration and the mass of people who do not know the difference between scientism and actual science that use the scientific method. I'm fine with the name calling; I rather pure clarification through questioning and research instead of trust the "process" [ to flattened the curve]. Remember they said two weeks and then the other promises that are still not kept? Then the blame is because of (insert scapegoat here) for the reason why things will not go back to normal. You would think one would start connecting the dots when the top medical officials can tell us when they'll be spikes in "cases" that will occur in the future. Maybe technocracy should come to mind but that's nonsense in a topsy turvey world.
By tyndal23
cruzan_flame13 wrote: September 6th, 2021, 2:22 pm
Yet a lot of what Ron Paul has warned the American people have been corrected. Look at government spending and the Federal Reserve printing of money. Lets even look at the outbreak of what occurring with Afghanistan. It's so easy to call people names when one doesn't look and figure things out themselves and depend on others who have a title or position. Same thing applies here with what's occurring for this past 17-18 months. Clearly there's medical profeesionals/administration and the mass of people who do not know the difference between scientism and actual science that use the scientific method. I'm fine with the name calling; I rather pure clarification through questioning and research instead of trust the "process" [ to flattened the curve]. Remember they said two weeks and then the other promises that are still not kept? Then the blame is because of (insert scapegoat here) for the reason why things will not go back to normal. You would think one would start connecting the dots when the top medical officials can tell us when they'll be spikes in "cases" that will occur in the future. Maybe technocracy should come to mind but that's nonsense in a topsy turvey world.
Hopefully for the country and all our friends sake - we are both loons and dead wrong - praying I am a nut job and Big Pharma, science, government officials, media are all pure and noble. Would never be happier to be wrong.
By cruzan_flame13
tyndal23 wrote: September 6th, 2021, 3:27 pm
cruzan_flame13 wrote: September 6th, 2021, 2:22 pm
Hopefully for the country and all our friends sake - we are both loons and dead wrong - praying I am a nut job and Big Pharma, science, government officials, media are all pure and noble. Would never be happier to be wrong.
That would be great. Unfortunately there's nothing new under the sun and ignoring things because of comfort doesn't last forever. An individual (especially a Christian) who lived in Nazi Germany, Soviet Union[and their satelite states], China (especially under Moa's regime), former Yugoslavia, Cambodia and even in India, Columbia ,etc knows what I am talking about. Europe is finally getting the picture, hence the massive protests. The United States laugh and giggle because it's not so evident because the media and fund sponsored hospitals are helping with damage control or just follow orders under the title of science. Hard to receive the truth when our society emotionally wants a truth(a lie that's repeated over and over until it is recognized as reality). G. Michael Hopf explains it bluntly:
Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.
May the Lord help us all. Sad to see believers involved in the deception, but this is not the first time this has occurred in this world.
tyndal23 liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
It’s just pure, unadulterated hubris. They went from not having to close a single day all of last year to closing down for a week and a half before the first month of school is up. They walked back virtually all of their mitigation efforts that worked last year and basically encouraged people to not wear masks. I’m livid. Do you know how much more disruptive it is to kids and their families to close schools than to wear the same masks they literally wore all of last year?
Yacht Rock, ballcoach15 liked this
By tyndal23
stokesjokes wrote: September 7th, 2021, 8:26 pm It’s just pure, unadulterated hubris. They went from not having to close a single day all of last year to closing down for a week and a half before the first month of school is up. They walked back virtually all of their mitigation efforts that worked last year and basically encouraged people to not wear masks. I’m livid. Do you know how much more disruptive it is to kids and their families to close schools than to wear the same masks they literally wore all of last year?
Your kids go to LCA stokes?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Was there some hubris involved? I have no doubt, but chalking all this up to that is knee-jerk. Other universities that have kept rigid mitigations in place are struggling with high case numbers too. There is no doubt the Delta Variant is much more transmissible. I am waiting to hear some numbers on how many students have actually had serious symptoms (beyond what one would experience with a cold or seasonal flu). Finding a microscopic amount of viral material in a bunch of nose swabs is not a huge disaster in and of itself.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: September 8th, 2021, 7:15 am Was there some hubris involved? I have no doubt, but chalking all this up to that is knee-jerk. Other universities that have kept rigid mitigations in place are struggling with high case numbers too. There is no doubt the Delta Variant is much more transmissible. I am waiting to hear some numbers on how many students have actually had serious symptoms (beyond what one would experience with a cold or seasonal flu). Finding a microscopic amount of viral material in a bunch of nose swabs is not a huge disaster in and of itself.
Yeah, I’m not entirely convinced that we wouldn’t still have higher cases this year because of delta, but knowing that delta is more transmissible makes the decision by LCA to not do any of the things that worked last year even worse.

The situation at LCA isn’t about the students anyway. They literally don’t have enough teachers and staff available to keep the school open. Everyone’s either sick or quarantined.

And PS, low flu numbers last year meant that the things we did worked. It would be hard to say how much they worked with COVID because we don’t have a baseline to compare to. We do with the flu. When people masked, distanced, and limited gatherings, the flu numbers were way down.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
That’s not at all what the CDC is saying. They’re saying that up until now labs were having to run separate tests for flu and COVID, not that the test couldn’t differentiate between the two or was inaccurate. They want labs to switch to more efficient testing as tests have been developed that will test for both at the same time. Here’s their follow-up clarification:

https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dls/locs/2021 ... rus_1.html
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Gotta stop with the fear-mongering at some point. That's the primary motivation for all these measures. The panic and overreactions are unsustainable. Put the focus where it belongs....protecting the weak and vulnerable.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: September 8th, 2021, 8:44 am At some point, we are going to have to come to our senses. Protect the vulnerable. Get on with our lives. And stop blaming others.
Get everyone vaxxed and we can treat it like the flu. One thing LU has gotten right is that if you are vaxxed and you are exposed to COVID, you don’t have to quarantine. You just have to wear a mask for ten days.

But until the vaccine holdouts come to their senses, we should do our part to protect them. Here’s an update from a nurse at LGH, our community is far from ok:

By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Honestly, I don't think I know anyone, in my region, who didn't actually get covid last year. But, what we have right now are people who go to a wedding over the weekend, and then learn that someone had covid. And as a result, they wanna quarantine for two weeks, even though they are fully-vaccinated. There are numerous people out there who are completely confused and strung-out on fear. We gotta stop scaring people. Stop the finger-pointing. Invest more of our energies on serving people who are at risk.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I don’t disagree with you, I had COVID and I’m vaxxed so I’m not at all worried about myself. But there is a real threat to the vulnerable in our communities and it’s not in any sense under control right now. If people aren’t doing things that could help protect those people because they’re tired of being inconvenienced or don’t want to be told what to do, then my fingers are pointing. Sometimes there are people at fault and pretending like they aren’t doesn’t solve anything.
By BlueBlood
stokesjokes wrote: September 8th, 2021, 9:20 am
Get everyone vaxxed and we can treat it like the flu. One thing LU has gotten right is that if you are vaxxed and you are exposed to COVID, you don’t have to quarantine. You just have to wear a mask for ten days.

But until the vaccine holdouts come to their senses, we should do our part to protect them.
What is the thought process behind not needing to quarantine if you have been vaxxed and are exposed to COVID?

I'm a vaxxed person who got COVID and I am currently quarantining. Interestingly, I got COVID from my wife (who is also vaxxed) while she was quarantining. While she was quarantined in one area of the house, I quarantined in a separate part of the house because I was exposed to her (per the rules cited, I guess it sounds like I quarantined unnecessarily?). We'll, we obviously did a crappy job of staying apart, because she ended up getting both me and my 17 year old daughter ( who also quarantined) sick.

So per the rules cited, upon exposure, I guess my un-vaxxed daughter should have quarantined (which she did) and me not? I guess I'm not understanding the difference. We both ended up getting COVID from the contact we had and could have passed it on to others if we hadn't quarantined.

Just trying to understand the recommended rules.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
So the reasoning is that if you’re exposed to COVID and you’re vaxxed, you’re significantly less likely to get COVID, so the chance of you spreading it unknowingly is lowered. A mask is a reasonable precaution, just in case.

Now, if you do get a breakthrough case like you did, the recommendation would be to quarantine since once you have it you’re just as likely to spread it, vaxxed or unvaxxed.

Obviously, living in a house with someone is a different circumstance than, say, being in a half-hour meeting. It was probably a good idea to distance from your wife, unless you just wanted to get it and get it over with (get that boosted immunity too) since you’re probably going to be fine since you’re vaxxed. You’re not putting anyone in harm’s way sitting home sick, but I know it can be miserable.
By BlueBlood
I guess from what I'm seeing on the ground in FL, I'm starting to question the "If you’re vaxxed, you’re significantly less likely to get COVID" narrative. Delta seems to be cutting through the vaccines pretty easy down here. Now, I'm still glad I got vaxxed - as my symptoms have been pretty manageable. In fact, my symptoms are only slightly worse than my un-vaxxed 17-year olds symptoms. This 50-year old will take that as a win.
stokesjokes liked this

If the new players picks up on the pack line defen[…]

Longwood

Liberty wins 9-3. Roupe 2 homers, 4 RBI. Jesse hom[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]