This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By tyndal23
stokesjokes wrote: August 29th, 2021, 10:34 pm I mean, I know it may seem like I have a lot of time on my hands… :lol:
Probably a lot less than you think...once you have completed that video, let me know and I will post another. But you have to watch the entirety, quiz at the end before your next video 😉
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Hopefully you're right. The Covid dashboard looks to be updated every Wednesday and so later today we should get a better idea how things are going.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: September 1st, 2021, 6:13 am Hopefully you're right. The Covid dashboard looks to be updated every Wednesday and so later today we should get a better idea how things are going.
North Carolinas numbers level off Monday and Tuesday. So I will be more interested in next weeks dashboard.
By cruzan_flame13
Whatisthetruth wrote: September 1st, 2021, 10:41 am Looks like Prevo should be named the university/college president of the year. 1,500 in quarantine. Wow.

....to a virus that has a 99.999997% survival rate to people ages 18-25. Remember when people got sick from the flu (a virus that kill more people annually than what we're seeing) during the school year and at times people caught it as well? Remember when no one freaked out because we had some sort of common sense on how viruses work? Yeah, I remember those days. It was somewhat normal, at least on the surface anyways.
jmclaughlin liked this
By willflop
Compare this to Duke: https://coronavirus.duke.edu/covid-testing/. They are forcing proof of vaccine to attend and masks, but because they actually test their students regardless of symptoms, they have an almost 2.5% positivity rate in the student body. VA Tech has tested their vaccinated students 10x less, and naturally have a 10x less hit rate (https://ready.vt.edu/dashboard.html). Duke's dashboard is two days behind Liberty's last update, so the numbers could be a lot higher now.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Sure, the students will probably be fine, but you quarantine so they don’t spread it to everyone else. Many of the professors, staff, and local community will not be fine if they catch this thing. We’ve got 80 people hospitalized with COVID in our community right now and that number has been growing fast.
By willflop
Can we reverse that into an argument to not get the vaccine, then, if you are young and likely to be fine? Unless there is forced testing on everyone, like Duke, you wouldn't know to quarantine and would be more cavalier with your encounters with an at risk population.
By cruzan_flame13
stokesjokes wrote: September 1st, 2021, 12:36 pm Sure, the students will probably be fine, but you quarantine so they don’t spread it to everyone else. Many of the professors, staff, and local community will not be fine if they catch this thing. We’ve got 80 people hospitalized with COVID in our community right now and that number has been growing fast.
It's possibke, but those professor, staff, and local community still have a better chance surviving than getting in a car accident or choking:

Have we had any announcements on living healthier, how to improve immunity so it can fight viruses/bacteria and to fight obesity which cause immune deficiency that gives easy access for viruses that can cause harm to those individuals? Oh, maybe it will offend someone in our present day society? You tell me.
By Whatisthetruth
Interesting observation from WSET.

https://wset.com/news/coronavirus/hundr ... university

Last week, Liberty announced it was moving to all virtual classes and suspending large outdoor events. But, last weekend, LU hosted a block party, according to the school's Instagram, and this weekend's LU Flames game is still scheduled. Monday, it was reported that the annex Liberty University has been using as a quarantine for students is at full capacity.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: September 1st, 2021, 1:13 pm
Have we had any announcements on living healthier, how to improve immunity so it can fight viruses/bacteria and to fight obesity which cause immune deficiency that gives easy access for viruses that can cause harm to those individuals? Oh, maybe it will offend someone in our present day society? You tell me.
Shirley, you jest. :wink:

If someone in this country doesn't know this by now they have been living under a rock and probably aren't much of a risk to infect anyone other than with ignorance.
cruzan_flame13 liked this
By BlueBlood
Whatisthetruth wrote: September 1st, 2021, 2:35 pm Interesting observation from WSET.

https://wset.com/news/coronavirus/hundr ... university

Last week, Liberty announced it was moving to all virtual classes and suspending large outdoor events. But, last weekend, LU hosted a block party, according to the school's Instagram, and this weekend's LU Flames game is still scheduled. Monday, it was reported that the annex Liberty University has been using as a quarantine for students is at full capacity.
Hmmm. Didn't the school's release last week say that they were moving classes to an online platform and suspending large indoor gatherings?

Seems like the news source mysteriously changed large indoor gatherings to large outdoor events to fit their agenda.
Purple Haize liked this
By willflop
stokesjokes wrote: September 1st, 2021, 3:48 pm https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 ... t-over-99/

People are out here just making up numbers, I guess.
So what is the infection fatality rate, if you are not supposed to use those numbers?

Edit - to clarify, I realize the numbers are estimates/models because the true rate can't be known. One, due to time; and secondly, because we don't know the number of actual infections. Given that, I'm not sure why using the best estimate model is "false", when that's all you have to go with.
By BlueBlood
willflop wrote: September 1st, 2021, 4:16 pm
So what is the infection fatality rate, if you are not supposed to use those numbers?

Edit - to clarify, I realize the numbers are estimates/models because the true rate can't be known. One, due to time; and secondly, because we don't know the number of actual infections. Given that, I'm not sure why using the best estimate model is "false", when that's all you have to go with.
To your point - my very vaccinated wife had Covid last week and there isn't a single governmental agency or other calculating entity that has any idea (not counted). Now if she had died, they would have known (counted).
By rhezick
jbock13 wrote: August 27th, 2021, 11:48 pm For almost two thousand years, too many Christians have rejected scientific knowledge and advancement. Faith and science can walk hand and hand. Masks won't save us all, but they will help in large crowds with small spaces, such as classrooms. In addition, vaccines increase the likely that someone, if infected, will have less severe symptoms than if unvaccinated.

Quite frankly, I'm done arguing with anyone who disagrees with these basic concepts of science. And yeah, some government officials will take it way too far (see Australia and New Zealand). But I'm so tired of the conspiracy theories and science denial that make Christians look like kooky cavemen. We can be better than that.
Excellent post jbock. This sums up my thoughts precisely. I find it ironic that so many Christians believe in absolute truth when it comes to a book from 2000 years ago, but have a hard time doing the same with proven science. That leaves the millions of healthcare professionals worldwide (not to mention the thousands of scientists and researchers) as either liars, lunatics, or correct (not as flashy rolling off the tongue but you get the jist). Is it your right to smoke? Sure. Is it your right to believe 2+2=5? Yes of course. But rights don't negate truth. I just don't understand why the Christian faith is less about protecting the least of these (ie, my kids who can't get vaccinated) as opposed to "they took our jobs!"

But it's fine, use ambiguity as a cover. But if you do that, you have to be argumentatively consistent across all aspects of life, not just into vaccines and science but religion too. Budda might be God after all. Or a big space lizard. You just don't know.... make up your own mind. Talk to your own pastor/shamman/space lizard. Don't listen to big religion.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
My understanding of these numbers is not that they are estimates, but scenarios, sorta “what would we do if it was this?”

If you go to the section on case fatality rate by age on this https://ourworldindata.org/mortality-ri ... -19-by-age, it might give you an idea. I can’t find the data for the US at the moment, but it’s probably in the range of the countries represented.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]