This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
It is ugly, and of course was a result of one man having almost total control and thus being able to hire a personal friend in a lucrative position to try to shore up his tarnished image. Whether or not Kelvin prevails (and how much) will no doubt depend on the specifics of his written contract. Stranger things have happened, but it's hard to imagine a court awarding a large judgement based on a verbal promise from JR.
flameshaw liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Another factor in a judgement would be what kelvin's actual losses were. The school probably covered his moving expenses to and from Lynchburg. As far as I know, he did not give up his car dealerships, but I'm sure he can claim that his time away from them cost him $$.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: July 5th, 2021, 10:40 am It is ugly, and of course was a result of one man having almost total control and thus being able to hire a personal friend in a lucrative position to try to shore up his tarnished image. Whether or not Kelvin prevails (and how much) will no doubt depend on the specifics of his written contract. Stranger things have happened, but it's hard to imagine a court awarding a large judgement based on a verbal promise from JR.
Some here keep asking, what did the BOD know and when? I'll ask, what did Kevlin know and when? If he knew what Jerry was up to, then he's all about $$$, then and now.

For the record I know "nothing" about Kelvin.
The word was in addition to hiring KE to counter the racism claims, he was also brought in as something like an accountability coach. One reason is KE knew about the Falwell's unconventional lifestyle. That is how an unqualified individual gets a 10-year deal with a big paycheck.

Hard to believe Trey got a 15 year deal with no qualifications, KE got 10 years with no qualifications, and fully credentialed faculty sweat it out year to year.

TH Spangler wrote: July 5th, 2021, 11:22 am
olldflame wrote: July 5th, 2021, 10:40 am It is ugly, and of course was a result of one man having almost total control and thus being able to hire a personal friend in a lucrative position to try to shore up his tarnished image. Whether or not Kelvin prevails (and how much) will no doubt depend on the specifics of his written contract. Stranger things have happened, but it's hard to imagine a court awarding a large judgement based on a verbal promise from JR.
Some here keep asking, what did the BOD know and when? I'll ask, what did Kevlin know and when? If he knew what Jerry was up to, then he's all about $$$, then and now.

For the record I know "nothing" about Kelvin.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
To call Kelvin unqualified is a bit over the top. After vecoming an All-American WR while Junior's roommate at LU back int he '80s, he went on to play a few years in the NFL including a stint with the Cowboys. After his playing career he spent years in the automotive business in leadership roles. He eventually purchased a semi-pro football team that operated in DFW back a decade ago.

He was the perfect fit to keep Jr. in line when he was clearly off the rails. Prevo wasted no time in dismissing him along with Coach Gill. It as ugly and frankly I don't blame Kelvin for being salty about the way it all went down.
LUOrange liked this
This has more to do with my lack of trust with Jr, but Edward's was hired by Jr so I have a hard time believing he'd have much luck keeping Jr in line.

With that said, I don't blame the guy for going thus route.
thepostman wrote: July 5th, 2021, 6:23 pm This has more to do with my lack of trust with Jr, but Edward's was hired by Jr so I have a hard time believing he'd have much luck keeping Jr in line.

With that said, I don't blame the guy for going thus route.
I would be upset if I got fired from a guaranteed 10-year job at 275K + car allowance + college scholarships + a house.

Edwards claims that when he was offered the position of executive vice president of management efficiencies and diversity in June 2020, that he was promised the following:

$275,000 salary
Monthly vehicle allowance of $1,500
Full scholarships for Edwards and his family for undergraduate and graduate degrees
Construction of a new home for him and his family on Liberty Mountain
His offer sounded exactly like what you've been complaining about for months. One of Jr's friends getting a title and a big check for it. Sounds like someone put an end to it. If he truly cared about LU
... more than the money .... he wouldn't be sueing. Maybe Jr is putting him up to it. :lol:
flameshaw, Just John liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Zero doubt that KE was hired to be a babysitter for Jr. KE probably knows more about Jr and his "problems" than anyone else outside the immediate family. He is an accomplished businessman, but likely not someone to be hired at that salary and attendant benefit package, without the benefit of his personal friendship with Jr. Certainly not, in the real business world.
KE was provided many kindnesses by Jr, solely due to their friendship, and took full advantage of them and then some. He holds the race, trump-card in this situation, but without a written contract, I do not see him prevailing in court and believe it to be a very selfish act to sue the University, sans a written contract. I find it quite interesting that he is suing for 5 years wages and considerable benefits, if indeed he holds a written 10 year contract. If that is the case, I would say that maybe one should re-consider his business acumen.
According to the article, he refused remuneration for his moving and other expenses. He also refused further employment at a different position and refused. (That is going to hurt his legal standing as well).
I must wonder aloud, how much info Jr. is supplying him with, to help in his suit. 8) 8)
LUOrange liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: July 5th, 2021, 9:55 pm That’s kind of the Standard rate for EVP’s at LU
That doesn't mean that every EVP is worth that, or qualified for their position. I will just throw Trey out there for a good example. His ONLY qualification, was his last name. Another one was "fancy pants". Grossly overpaid, under performed but was Becki's buddy. There are and have been MANY other examples.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: July 6th, 2021, 6:30 am It seems as if LU had a lot of VPs. Is it this way at other schools?
Not sure what the EVP to student/administration ratio is at other schools. What is certain is that their relationship to the chancellor is not considered as an immediate qualifier to become one.
It is quite common at small IFB skools. It all depends on who likes you and/or how much money you have. I would have hoped that we are beyond that. But this is another failure of the BOD, to let this happen. They need to be shown the door like yesterday.
Just John wrote: July 6th, 2021, 1:03 am
Purple Haize wrote: July 5th, 2021, 9:55 pm That’s kind of the Standard rate for EVP’s at LU
Does that include a 10 year contract and a house?
Yep. Pretty much. Not for faculty though.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
i do not think KE would lie so i hope he gets paid. I'm so sick of this old guard B.S. Prevo is a wolf in sheep clothing. Just because he is a preacher does not mean he does not have evil tendencies. I truly believe Prevo has racist tendencies and until he and all of his cronies are out of LU and the lack of diversity is addressed i will not be happy. Though my daughter's first choice is to go to Liberty, i am encouraging her to look at her other choices like W&M and UVA which really pains me.
Jonathan Carone liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
bigsmooth wrote: July 7th, 2021, 4:49 pm i do not think KE would lie so i hope he gets paid. I'm so sick of this old guard B.S. Prevo is a wolf in sheep clothing. Just because he is a preacher does not mean he does not have evil tendencies. I truly believe Prevo has racist tendencies and until he and all of his cronies are out of LU and the lack of diversity is addressed i will not be happy. Though my daughter's first choice is to go to Liberty, i am encouraging her to look at her other choices like W&M and UVA which really pains me.
Every day that Prevo sits in that plane................ I mean desk, is just another day that is wasted on old-school leadership. The entire Bored should be replaced. If for no other reason, they haven't found a new President by now. Obviously, they have no sense of urgency.
There are some surprising dismissals in the rumor mill. We will just have to see what happens. Regardless, too little, too late.
FWIW, Tim Lee is a total whack job as mentioned above. Worse that you probably know. IMHO. We have another Bored member working for one of the biggest con men in the country. He knows it, but he needs the money. It is almost always about the Benjamin's.
rhezick liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]