This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: July 7th, 2021, 8:21 pm Let me know when the "real deal", Turner Gill sues. :idea:
This part concerns me most. If TG doesn't sue, then one has to question why KE did on his own. Was he promised things that TG wasn't? Why? The other thing, is that there is a looooooooooooooooooooooooong history with KE and Jr. Maybe some of Jr. rubbed off on KE. :shock: This is just part of the good old boys club- in reverse- to me. Jr. using, promising friends positions, things, etc. solely because they were friends. Much like JP.
FWIW, if KE has a written contract, we should pay up. Just part of doing business and having a rubber stamp Bored. I dare say, they had no idea, or signed off on Jr's agreements/promises. Heck, the AD and staff didn't even know about KE having his number retired, until informed by KE. And that is just a small part of that story. I was afraid we were going to lose Ian over that deal.
By Baybird
flameshaw wrote:
TH Spangler wrote: July 7th, 2021, 8:21 pm Let me know when the "real deal", Turner Gill sues. :idea:
This part concerns me most. If TG doesn't sue, then one has to question why KE did on his own. Was he promised things that TG wasn't? Why? The other thing, is that there is a looooooooooooooooooooooooong history with KE and Jr. Maybe some of Jr. rubbed off on KE. :shock: This is just part of the good old boys club- in reverse- to me. Jr. using, promising friends positions, things, etc. solely because they were friends. Much like JP.
FWIW, if KE has a written contract, we should pay up. Just part of doing business and having a rubber stamp Bored. I dare say, they had no idea, or signed off on Jr's agreements/promises. Heck, the AD and staff didn't even know about KE having his number retired, until informed by KE. And that is just a small part of that story. I was afraid we were going to lose Ian over that deal.

Flameshaw, 'm not sure this part of your statement is true:

"I dare say, they had no idea, or signed off on Jr's agreements/promises. Heck, the AD and staff didn't even know about KE having his number retired, until informed by KE."

You don't have to read the article, you can just look at the picture.

https://www.liberty.edu/journal/article ... n-edwards/
Last edited by Baybird on July 8th, 2021, 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
ballcoach15 wrote: July 6th, 2021, 6:30 am It seems as if LU had a lot of VPs. Is it this way at other schools?
Colleges like being able to put a million titles behind names to make people seem a lot more important than they really are. Last college I worked at practically had a Dean for every department. Frankly was surprised they didn’t have a Dean for Environmental Services (aka janitors)!
Baybird wrote: July 8th, 2021, 6:46 am
flameshaw wrote:

"I dare say, they had no idea, or signed off on Jr's agreements/promises. Heck, the AD and staff didn't even know about KE having his number retired, until informed by KE."

Athletics did not decide to retire his number. They were told they would do it and were told at the last minute it was happening.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
He won't win this lawsuit. As far as I know Virginia is still a "Right to Work" state and a business can release an employee for any reason, any time.

He was hired by previous administration. New administration came in and evaluated what his job was and if they could justify this compensation... They could not, and he was released. Putting a high priced person in place with no experience for the position made no sense at all. He might be a fantastic guy and a fantastic business person, but the role is to figure out how to grow minority population at the school , and I'm sorry - skin color is not the only requirement. I'm sure Prevo wanted someone in place that had experience of how to update recruiting techniques to attract more minority students to apply.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I agree the once Jerry was let go, the school had every right to re-evaluate some of Jerry's hires so this lawsuit probably goes nowhere unless the contract is written in such a way that makes it hard for the school to get out of paying him. Since Jerry was behind the hire, that isn't a stretch at all.

With that said, what has Prevo done to prove to you that he is capable of putting anybody in place other than his buddies?
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: July 8th, 2021, 9:04 am I agree the once Jerry was let go, the school had every right to re-evaluate some of Jerry's hires so this lawsuit probably goes nowhere unless the contract is written in such a way that makes it hard for the school to get out of paying him. Since Jerry was behind the hire, that isn't a stretch at all.

With that said, what has Prevo done to prove to you that he is capable of putting anybody in place other than his buddies?
I don't know Prevo at all. No idea. Just thought both hires of Edwards and Gill we pretty bad. I did hear a rumor that they did hire someone that was doing this elsewhere for a while, but don't know much about him or her at all.
prototype wrote: July 8th, 2021, 8:50 am He won't win this lawsuit. As far as I know Virginia is still a "Right to Work" state and a business can release an employee for any reason, any time.

He was hired by previous administration. New administration came in and evaluated what his job was and if they could justify this compensation... They could not, and he was released. Putting a high priced person in place with no experience for the position made no sense at all. He might be a fantastic guy and a fantastic business person, but the role is to figure out how to grow minority population at the school , and I'm sorry - skin color is not the only requirement. I'm sure Prevo wanted someone in place that had experience of how to update recruiting techniques to attract more minority students to apply.
It’s still illegal to fire someone over race. And to violate a contract. Alas I know nothing about the reasons for firing nor what his contract stated.
prototype wrote: July 8th, 2021, 8:50 am He won't win this lawsuit. As far as I know Virginia is still a "Right to Work" state and a business can release an employee for any reason, any time.

If he had a contract, they are legally bound to honor that contract. That supersedes any “right to work” status. If there were a “change of control” clause in the contract that would be relevant. But if he’s got paper work showing a 10 year deal, then he’s got a leg to stand on

But I agree with @ATrain this will get settled out of court for an undisclosed amount. Heck, he will probably end up on the Board based on L.u’s track record
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 8th, 2021, 7:59 am
Baybird wrote: July 8th, 2021, 6:46 am
flameshaw wrote:

Athletics did not decide to retire his number. They were told they would do it and were told at the last minute it was happening.
Bingo. The Athletics staff first heard about retiring his #, when KE put it on his Facebook page, inviting all of his former teammates and football players to join in his celebration. In addition, he was given "perks" on his visit ,that were waaaaay beyond what is/was usual and customary for visiting speakers and guest. I saw the document, outlining his very significant, requests/demands. I will say this for him, he is not bashful.
BTW, I don't blame KE, he seems like a very nice person, good Christian and well respected by many I trust. Jr. allowed and supported all of this activity. Just another example of the University being run like a dictatorship, with little to no accountability.
Baybird liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Whatisthetruth wrote: July 17th, 2021, 11:49 am
TH Spangler wrote: July 17th, 2021, 11:29 am
Whatisthetruth wrote: July 17th, 2021, 7:46 am Lawsuits are piling up.

Former Liberty diversity director sues school

https://newsadvance.com/news/local/form ... op-story-1
Whatisthetruth you need to get a life :roll:
A personal insult? Really TH Spangler? SMH....
:lol: You're suffering JrDS.

So many good things going at Liberty right now 👍
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:
Whatisthetruth wrote: July 17th, 2021, 11:49 am
TH Spangler wrote: July 17th, 2021, 11:29 am Whatisthetruth you need to get a life :roll:
A personal insult? Really TH Spangler? SMH....
:lol: You're suffering JrDS.

So many good things going at Liberty right now 👍
You're free to start a thread about the number of good things going on. Although, my guess is if Tucker doesn't cover it, you might not post about it.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Why would have even employed this quan guy. I mean if were dumb enough to hire him we kind of deserve the lawsuit. There are only....oh.... but hundreds of more qualified applicants.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: July 17th, 2021, 9:22 pm Why would have even employed this quan guy. I mean if were dumb enough to hire him we kind of deserve the lawsuit. There are only....oh.... but hundreds of more qualified applicants.
My best guess is, he was conversant in Evangelical Christian lingo, while checking off some intersectional boxes that we thought would make us look good from a PR standpoint.
By ElmersTwin
olldflame wrote: July 18th, 2021, 10:42 am
jinxy wrote: July 17th, 2021, 9:22 pm Why would have even employed this quan guy. I mean if were dumb enough to hire him we kind of deserve the lawsuit. There are only....oh.... but hundreds of more qualified applicants.
My best guess is, he was conversant in Evangelical Christian lingo, while checking off some intersectional boxes that we thought would make us look good from a PR standpoint.
He actually worked for the school as a student advocate long before switching to the Center4ME and working his way up through their ranks. Once the Center4ME switched to the Office of Equity and Inclusion the executive suite got involved and helped make a mess of the situation.

I'm not sure he'll get anywhere with the lawsuit without proper documentation, but I don't fault him for wanting to expose the junk that people in their office had to endure. The people I know who worked there and ended up leaving were dealt a bad hand.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]