This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: July 5th, 2021, 9:39 am Not sure if this is the right thread for this info, but I was told that Jonathan had a very encouraging meeting with the LU Shepherd office. One of the tidbits is that convo is going to have stricter parameters for speakers. Anyone coming for convo has to be a believer.
Not sure I would be on board for totally ruling out non-believers, even if they are coming to speak about something not related to faith matters. The name was changed from chapel to convocation so it could provide the students with knowledge in a wider variety of areas from a wider variety of speakers. I have more of a problem with speakers who would say they are believers, but openly espouse heretical ideas like prosperity gospel, than I do with a non-believer speaking on a topic where they have expertise.
Just John, ATrain liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I think back on some of the most significant Chapels/Convos over the years and those moments likely would not have occurred under this new policy. But I agree completely about the concerns over prosperity theology peddlers.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
If that’s true then that’s a bad move. Having speakers from all walks of life made Liberty great.

But with our leadership, I’m willing to bet the prosperity theology is going to be the norm.
He made sure to say it would still be speakers from all areas of life, it’s not just going to be preachers coming through. I have my concerns over what might be excluded, but I think this move is necessary in the short-term to help rebuild and refocus the culture. Once the culture is squarely centered on the gospel again, then it makes sense to broaden again.

And with Jonathan being the campus pastor, I don’t share the prosperity theology concerns.
LUOrange liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, that’s a worrying point. I know Jonathan and team are working on a long and more specific doctrinal statement for the school itself, which I don’t think is the answer, especially knowing his points of emphasis wouldn’t be the same as mine.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
The only reason for Glenn Beck or Mitt Romney as speakers was purely politics. While I agree with Becks conservative politics, I don't share his religious doctrine at all. If Johnathan does the right thing I don't see BYU signing up for an annual football matchup anytime soon. I don't think they'll accept us staying true to our doctrine when it comes to the church of the LDS.

Our beliefs alien more closely with evangelical Catholics. It might increase our odds of seeing ND on the schedule. :lol:
Last edited by TH Spangler on July 5th, 2021, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Not a fan of that at all. Maybe tone down political speakers but having someone who adds to the educational edification of the student body should be the criteria.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: July 5th, 2021, 1:53 pm Not a fan of that at all. Maybe tone down political speakers but having someone who adds to the educational edification of the student body should be the criteria.
Pretty much limit political speakers to Virginia candidates and potus candidates. From either party. Religious speakers should share the school's basic doctrine.
Last edited by TH Spangler on July 5th, 2021, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: July 5th, 2021, 2:37 pm
Purple Haize wrote: July 5th, 2021, 1:53 pm Not a fan of that at all. Maybe tone down political speakers but having someone who adds to the educational edification of the student body should be the criteria.
Pretty much limit political speakers to Virginia candantes and potus candantes. From either party. Religious speakers should share the school's basic doctrine.
Not sure I agree with that. Why not invite different viewpoints?
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I think it is a good temporary measure because things kind of slid out of control there for a while but I certinaly agree that there is place for different voices.

With that said, I trust nobody making these decisions on the mountain these days. So I guess we just wait and see.
ATrain liked this
By Jonathan Carone
I think this is a lazy over overcorrection.

The SVP over convo should have the wisdom to know who would and would not be an acceptable speaker. I’m all for putting together guidelines for what fits that, but limiting it to only believers is a disservice to students.
ATrain liked this
stokesjokes wrote: July 5th, 2021, 9:39 am Not sure if this is the right thread for this info, but I was told that Jonathan had a very encouraging meeting with the LU Shepherd office. One of the tidbits is that convo is going to have stricter parameters for speakers. Anyone coming for convo has to be a believer.
It may be well intended but I have two problems with it....

1. We will miss out on hearing from opinions of others that are not necessarly Christian
2. If we still have a heretic like Paula White are we saying they are Christians?
This has been needed for YEARS that our Convo speakers be Christian and by Christian I mean orthodox. This would mean that any speaker who is a known heretic like a Paula White is not going to receive an invitation to speak in convocation. Nor would someone like a Glenn Beck be invited due to his mormon beliefs even when he said at convocation a few years back, "we are all on the same team. Mormonism is just a different denomination of Christianity."
TH Spangler, flameshaw liked this
I remember when former Governor Tim Kaine spoke at convo. He's a Catholic, yet he asked Jerry Sr if he could attend and Jerry Sr invited him to speak. Not sure he'd be able to speak based on the new rules.
ATrain wrote: July 6th, 2021, 12:59 pm I remember when former Governor Tim Kaine spoke at convo. He's a Catholic, yet he asked Jerry Sr if he could attend and Jerry Sr invited him to speak. Not sure he'd be able to speak based on the new rules.
Back in the real old days, Sen. Ted Kennedy was a guest of Doc's. That wouldn't happen today either.

With Pharisees running the show, the prophet from Galilee would never have had a chance to speak.
ATrain liked this
flamehunter wrote: July 6th, 2021, 1:43 pm
ATrain wrote: July 6th, 2021, 12:59 pm I remember when former Governor Tim Kaine spoke at convo. He's a Catholic, yet he asked Jerry Sr if he could attend and Jerry Sr invited him to speak. Not sure he'd be able to speak based on the new rules.
Back in the real old days, Sen. Ted Kennedy was a guest of Doc's. That wouldn't happen today either.

With Pharisees running the show, the prophet from Galilee would never have had a chance to speak.
Any idea what year that was? Thinking it may have been during my time. 👴🏻
LU 57 wrote: July 6th, 2021, 2:07 pm

I'm thinking Spring '05, but may have been sometime in '06.
LU 57 liked this
To many good speakers to invite him.. U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops are about ready to take a stand with politicians like Kaine, Biden and Pelosi ..... Convocation is required for freshman and shouldn't be used for controversial speakers, there could be other venues for those to speak on campus.
ATrain wrote: July 6th, 2021, 2:16 pm
LU 57 wrote: July 6th, 2021, 2:07 pm

I'm thinking Spring '05, but may have been sometime in '06.
He may have come then also, but I'm talking about somewhere around '83.
He made appearances in both those time frames. The first was before I arrived on campus in '85 so around 1983 seems relatively accurate. The latter was just a couple of years before Doc passed on.

Just keep in mind that this is Convo and not Chapel. The intent was to bring in some differing viewpoints in a context where we know in advance what is about to occur. I think of the Reformed Jewish leader we had in a few years back. While we obviously disagree with whom Jesus was and is, he provided some terrific insights into the Judaism today.
ATrain, ballcoach15, LUOrange and 1 others liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]