This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: June 23rd, 2021, 4:24 pm Ballcoach must have been a big Nixon fan
He's a big fan of shady and crooked Republicans
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: June 24th, 2021, 9:35 am As for the jet, it should only be used for official LU business and athletic recruiting.
Well that didn’t happen. It was basically the Falwell Uber
By Whatisthetruth
Purple Haize wrote: June 25th, 2021, 7:44 am
ballcoach15 wrote: June 24th, 2021, 9:35 am As for the jet, it should only be used for official LU business and athletic recruiting.
Well that didn’t happen. It was basically the Falwell Uber
And the individuals who were helping Jr mislabel flights as 'business use' and changing the passenger manifest are still employed.
By Jonathan Carone
One of the people running the school socials accidentally liked the tweet under the school account. Gangster Capitalism caught it and sent it out. The school then realized the mistake and unliked it. It’s a dumb social media mistake that meant nothing but gave GC a chance for some instant engagement.
By Whatisthetruth
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 28th, 2021, 5:40 pm One of the people running the school socials accidentally liked the tweet under the school account. Gangster Capitalism caught it and sent it out. The school then realized the mistake and unliked it. It’s a dumb social media mistake that meant nothing but gave GC a chance for some instant engagement.
Sounds reasonable. However, GC was right when they said LU was paying attention. Obviously someone at the school has been reviewing their posts or this would have never happened.

If Jr was still around I could see him ordering something like this to generate the next employee poo list like he did back in 2019 and then conduct a witch hunt complete with interrogations by a law firm.
By Jonathan Carone
It’s funny but it’s not indicative of anything we didn’t already know. It’s a mistake by a 20-something signed in to the wrong account.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Of course. People will read way too much into things like they always do on the interwebs. I don't blame GC for running with it. Gotta get those downloads! Haha
By Jonathan Carone
This week’s episode was the most conflicting of the series. Here are some stream of conscious thoughts that probably are way too nuanced to be discussed here:

The girl they interviewed wasn’t the first openly gay student to graduate. That was sensational in a way that took away from the real issues.

I'm absolutely okay with Liberty having religious convictions to say homosexuality is sinful. We have to totally revamp how we approach that issue and the people who are struggling with it. Conversion therapy is wrong and dangerous. As with a lot of things, we need more grace and better leadership. We can't expect 20-year-old RAs or SLDs to have the maturity to handle those situations in the right way. We have seen over and over again how the amount of power and influence student leadership has on the hall is too much and leads to horrific interactions. This is a place where Liberty - with all its money and resources - really should set up a better system of accountability, counseling, and leadership of students. That would require the school to actually invest in students though and we all know that ain't happening.

I left campus 11 years ago and there were racial tensions then. I can't imagine what they are now after Jerry went all in on Christian nationalism.

Also - a company sending an email from their employee's account without them knowing it is a massive privacy violation.

The idea of representation - from the administration to the faculty to the convo speakers - is one that I wish more people in our community understood. When Carey Green first taught me about it in 2009, I didn't get it. I do now though. We need to take time to listen to our minority students and actually hear how important seeing people who look like them is. If we're trying to show students what Champions for Christ looks like, our BIPOC students need to see that reflected in people who look like them.

This episode is one that many will shrug off as woke-ism or liberalism or some other ism - and I get it! There were definitely some stretches and eye rolls in it. But if you get past some of the sensationalism in the episode, there are real issues beneath it that need addressing.
JK37 liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
If one does some research on this parent company, you will find it is owned and or operated by people who were part of Yang's dim-o-crap presidential campaign.
There is a lot in here that is sensational and/or out-right untruths. Just after more click bait if you ask me.
Make no mistake, I was/am for new leadership and for also getting rid of super-fundy JP. I am far from a prude.
LU is GONE, as a distinctively christian university. I am just glad I won't be around when they finally pull the life-support line on it. As it is, the only thing that keeps me around is the sports program. Other than that, I would never go back on campus.
The more I read after recent grads, the happier I am that my degree came from another University. At least they didn't claim to be something they are not.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Typical attack the media outlet instead of the information.
I don't really understand who this episode is for. Seems like it will alienate people whose eyes were being opened. It seemed like every situation was being over dramatized which will then get you to question all of their previous reporting. Is thr 5% African American stat accurate? That's really pretty terrible.
thepostman, Longshots liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Wouldn't be surprised if numbers were accurate. Wouldn't be surprised if they were way off either.

Remembering back, the Big Fella, Doc, was on the debate circuit at one time. Our old philosophy department was so well staffed because he needed them for preparation. But he was pretty good when he wasn't prepared too. One time at Harvard, he was being abused by angry loud students accusing him of racism. He looked around, paused, saw only white faces, and then asked them how many black students attended Harvard. Silence. He stated LU's numbers, which were proportionally higher than the general population demographic. Again, more silence.

A female Harvard student, Su Park, transferred to Liberty after meeting Doc, but I don't know if she attended the above mentioned debate.
Last edited by paradox on June 30th, 2021, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Jonathan Carone
The 5% black number has been what Quan McLaurin has been saying since last year. He was in that department so my guess is he would have access to the numbers. Jerry always responded by pointing back to overall minorities (something like 12% total) or the total black population including online (which was much higher). Some have said the number could be even lower now (closer to 4%).

If that 5% number is right, that means we have roughly 500 black students on campus. Of those 500 black students, roughly 140 of them are varsity athletes recruited to come to Liberty. That leaves only 360 black students who chose to come to Liberty based on who we are as a school. That's 2.4% of the population.

Why do potential black students not feel comfortable coming to Liberty? It was three times higher when I was on campus 12 years ago so something has changed.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
I saw the 5% metric listed in a report for Christian colleges but I couldn't tell you where now. I would expect it's a legit number.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
My only question in regard to the 5% stat is to whether it was based on residential or total numbers including online. One way or the other, it is far too low. It shows a perception is out there that we are not a priority for a community that often has strong Evangelical ties.

Junior did little in his time to demonstrate how welcoming we would be to the black community. But that is water under the bridge moving forward.

I admit that I am looking forward to the season finale much more than this episode. There wasn't much revelatory in this week's content. I am curious to see how they approach the board's ;ack of oversight and possibly focus on its current makeup which includes a number of folks with questionable track records. For further clarification of the last sentence, visit the 'Where was the board?' thread.
Just John liked this
By Jonathan Carone
But Liberty’s reckoning over race comes as its share of on-campus Black students has declined in recent years. Internal documents obtained by AP show Black students made up 13% of Liberty’s resident undergraduates in 2007 and just 5% last year.
Source

Falwell Jr. prefers to emphasize the demographics of the school’s larger online program, where 27 percent of students are black.
Source
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Has there ever been any explanation about why Turner Gill left so quickly after being brought back into an admin role?
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
It’s been hashed to death here, but my read on it is that the shift in emphasis towards Republican politics as primary or at least co-equal to the cause for Christ has made black students feel less welcome on campus.

According to Barna research, the black community is more likely than any other ethnic group to endorse what we would consider theologically orthodox/conservative beliefs. https://www.barna.com/research/how-the- ... s-changed/

At the same time, the black community overwhelmingly votes democrat, including black Protestants. https://news.gallup.com/opinion/polling ... ction.aspx

When the identity of the school was Christ, people in the black community felt more welcome despite political differences since that was a secondary issue. The important commonality was orthodox, conservative theology.

Since the identity of the school has shifted towards Republican politics, those same black students feel unwelcome. They still have their orthodox, conservative religious beliefs, but the school has elevated politics to the exclusion of faithful black Christians.

That’s my take, anyway. I’m sure there are other factors at play as well.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
On the other hand LU is the religious culture that it is. That we are.. We all went there. Would you say your church is 5% black? It's probably less.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would s[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]