This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
It isn't good, that is for sure. As soon as I read this story I could see the tone deaf responses on here already so just decided not to post anything about it. The current leadership should have done everything in their power to get ahead of this stuff but instead have chosen the status quo.
k9saber, Purple Haize liked this
By Whatisthetruth
In my opinion LU will spend whatever they need to in order to settle out of court. If this suit goes to discovery too many people currently (and formerly) on the payroll will be exposed, and all those NDAs will be worthless as folks are deposed.
By LUAlum1215
Whatisthetruth wrote: July 20th, 2021, 2:16 pm In my opinion LU will spend whatever they need to in order to settle out of court. If this suit goes to discovery too many people currently (and formerly) on the payroll will be exposed, and all those NDAs will be worthless as folks are deposed.
I'm not sure the plaintiffs would settle. This doesn't seem like a money grab, but an effort to expose and enact change going forward.
stokesjokes liked this
By Whatisthetruth
LUAlum1215 wrote: July 20th, 2021, 2:30 pm
Whatisthetruth wrote: July 20th, 2021, 2:16 pm In my opinion LU will spend whatever they need to in order to settle out of court. If this suit goes to discovery too many people currently (and formerly) on the payroll will be exposed, and all those NDAs will be worthless as folks are deposed.
I'm not sure the plaintiffs would settle. This doesn't seem like a money grab, but an effort to expose and enact change going forward.
If you are correct LUAlum then get ready for a wild ride. I know there are a lot of people waiting to be deposed so they can tell their story.
By Jonathan Carone
LUAlum1215 wrote: July 20th, 2021, 2:30 pm
This is my hope. It’s going to be painful, but I want it all exposed.
k9saber, ATrain, LUAlum1215 liked this
By k9saber
ballcoach15 wrote: July 20th, 2021, 2:54 pm It appears that "filing a lawsuit" against Liberty has become a recreational sport. I hope everyone of them loses.
BC15…I have no idea of your background or your life experience(s) with real world suffering & trauma. The one thing that I am certain of is this: Responses such as the one you just posted highlight a mindset and heart that is utterly devoid of empathy and compassion. To even remotely insinuate that these sexual assault/rape incidents that were covered up are “recreational sport” goes far beyond the ignorant banter that is sometimes engaged in on SOR.

This pseudo “Christian” world that you and some others reside in is ridiculously embarrassing. I spent 25 years in professional LE…and I will never forget the rape investigations that I was part of, and assisted in; and even more so, the women who were forced to engage in illicit sexual acts against their will.

That…is wrong, and to withhold justice from the oppressed highlights deep levels of sin.
ATrain, Baybird, Jonathan Carone and 7 others liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
What’s the saying about sunlight being the best disinfectant?

I don’t understand anyone who want this covered up or settled out of court. If you suspect even some of it is true, the reasons to want it exposed are obvious. But even if you’re skeptical of some/all of it, why wouldn’t you also want discovery of a trial to confirm what is or is not true?

If you believe in the original mission of the university, why wouldn’t you want to throw the doors open and say, “Here we are, look at all of it!” ?? The goal should be to expose and grow, or confirm the allegations are false. Either way, nothing should be hidden or off limits. This is situation where process matters as much or more as outcome.
ATrain, Jonathan Carone, LUAlum1215 and 1 others liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Based on what I witnessed at LU following one friend who was assaulted in Fall of 05, the accusations in the latest lawsuit are consistent with what happened to my friend and I sincerely hope the truth comes out.
By Jonathan Carone
ATrain wrote: July 20th, 2021, 4:26 pm Based on what I witnessed at LU following one friend who was assaulted in Fall of 05, the accusations in the latest lawsuit are consistent with what happened to my friend and I sincerely hope the truth comes out.
I wonder how many women could add their name to this suit and have as legit a case as the 12 already on it.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: July 20th, 2021, 4:26 pm Based on what I witnessed at LU following one friend who was assaulted in Fall of 05, the accusations in the latest lawsuit are consistent with what happened to my friend and I sincerely hope the truth comes out.
Yeah, that is what I kept thinking as I was reading it this afternoon. My friend's experience was in the fall of '03. I know she was far from the only one. It is hard not to kick myself too hard for being so naive to it all back then. I truly hope this helps change the culture but with our current leadership, I have my doubts. The BC mindset is very prevalent within large parts of the LU culture. It is how stuff like this goes on for far too many years.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: July 20th, 2021, 5:14 pm
Yeah, that is what I kept thinking as I was reading it this afternoon. My friend's experience was in the fall of '03. I know she was far from the only one. It is hard not to kick myself too hard for being so naive to it all back then. I truly hope this helps change the culture but with our current leadership, I have my doubts. The BC mindset is very prevalent within large parts of the LU culture. It is how stuff like this goes on for far too many years.
Within LU culture, and even amongst some on this board unfortunately. BC's mindset, those with his mindset, do more to damage the cause of Christ and push people away from Christianity...
k9saber liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
I'll also add, the way the university handled what happened to those 12 plus others like the one I knew are why many more just didn't say anything at all when something happened to them.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 20th, 2021, 5:34 pm Let’s call BC’s mindset what it is:

Ignorant, self-serving, unloving, mean spirited, and ultimately unChristlike
I’ve defended BC’s presence on here because I’ve thought of him as ridiculous, but mostly harmless. I was wrong, this time his mindset is just plain vile, and, frankly, satanic.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Satanic huh? I heard that he reads Mein Kamf backwards, watches Rosemary's Baby upside down, barks at dogs, swims in the nude, and even listens to Josh Groban records very very loudly.
LUOrange liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yikes this really went off the rails.

The point of me mentioning the guy wasn't to turn this into a bashing session. It just is a mindset that is common place in a lot of LU circles. It is how things like this happen. I could find a half dozen similar stories by just reaching out to a few LU friends. All the stories aren't as bad as some but they are there.

If LU is serious about changing the culture they will need to start making some very, very serious decisions on the future of our leadership. It is time for a new regime because this current regime isn't getting it done.
ATrain liked this
By Jonathan Carone
The issue isn’t ballcoach specific. It’s the old school southern baptist way of thinking. The entire convention is having to come to terms with it and recognize how wrong it is.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:The issue isn’t ballcoach specific. It’s the old school southern baptist way of thinking. The entire convention is having to come to terms with it and recognize how wrong it is.
Oh for sure. What is happening at LU is very similar to the southern Baptist convention drama. The best way to "protect the ministry" is to tackle these things head on. Work with these victims. Find out their stories. Find out what worked and what doesn't. Unfortunately the fearless leader is up on Alaska and he doesn't really seem equipped to deal with this. Which is why I doubt this will be resolved properly.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: July 20th, 2021, 6:50 pm Satanic huh? I heard that he reads Mein Kamf backwards, watches Rosemary's Baby upside down, barks at dogs, swims in the nude, and even listens to Josh Groban records very very loudly.
You joke, but reading the claims in the article and flippantly saying “I hope they all lose” certainly isn’t speaking in the spirit of God.
k9saber liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
You all act like you understand ballcoach’s mentality but the exact opposite is true. The more you pile on the more righteous he feels in his position. Do you not know that Jesus was persecuted by the religious people of His day? He views those critical of Falwell and LU as akin to the Pharisees and Sadducees This any type of criticism like this he wears like a badge of honor
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]