This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By badger74
Registration Days Posts
The Mathews incident was well covered and clear-cut LU mishandling. I think they are in deep on this and heads need to roll if any involved are still around. Nothing stinks more than covering up sex assaults--especially for athletes. Better get out that checkbook fast--LU cannot afford any more bad press. It already is on double secret probation in the eyes of many. That is my outsider Joe Citizen opinion.
k9saber liked this
By Whatisthetruth
badger74 wrote: July 21st, 2021, 6:26 pm The Mathews incident was well covered and clear-cut LU mishandling. I think they are in deep on this and heads need to roll if any involved are still around. Nothing stinks more than covering up sex assaults--especially for athletes. Better get out that checkbook fast--LU cannot afford any more bad press. It already is on double secret probation in the eyes of many. That is my outsider Joe Citizen opinion.
They are still around Badger 74. One current employee was named by two of the Jane Does. The same employee was demoted and moved to another location in the school by HR and Jr. Then you have LUPD.

I wonder if Jr's comments about the LUPD police chief will come back to haunt them as well?
Richard Hinkley, the campus police chief, was “a half-wit and easy to manipulate” and shouldn’t be allowed to speak publicly.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Heads should be rolling. This is not breaking news but the lawsuit crystalizes the sentiment for most of us. Covering up sexual assault should not be forgiven at any school. But with what our university's mission it should be inconceivable that it ever could occur. And yet here we are. Color me disgusted right now.
ATrain liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
badger74 wrote: July 21st, 2021, 6:26 pm The Mathews incident was well covered and clear-cut LU mishandling. I think they are in deep on this and heads need to roll if any involved are still around. Nothing stinks more than covering up sex assaults--especially for athletes. Better get out that checkbook fast--LU cannot afford any more bad press. It already is on double secret probation in the eyes of many. That is my outsider Joe Citizen opinion.
One thing to consider, Mathew was expelled from Liberty for allegations of sexual assault by a female LU student. The Lynchburg police failed to charge him with a crime. That's on them.
badger74 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: July 21st, 2021, 9:15 pm
One thing to consider, Mathew was expelled from Liberty for allegations of sexual assault by a female LU student. The Lynchburg police failed to charge him with a crime. That's on them.
That’s what I keep coming back to on this case. I don’t know enough about the other cases
By rtb72
Just curious...In NC, municipal police departments have original jurisdiction on campuses in their jurisdiction. As such, a campus police cannot restrict them from investigation of criminal activity on campus if they so desire. Generally, the local PD will "yield" to the campus PD for cases on campus, but in NC...they don't have to. Usually it's because the local PD is already holding a massive case load. I've seen some serious conflict in this regard, when a governmentally vested police agency conducted an investigation over the authority and protests of a campus police. Nevertheless, the state AG backed the local police. My point being, I would be interested to know where Lynchburg PD stands on LU's campus police in general and their ability and proactivity in particular. In NC, campus police are essentially the same as "company police". Is that a similar situation in Va? Were ANY of these cases reported to the municipal authorities? If not, why did LUPD not at least pass on and/or consult with the LPD on the matter. My own experience has demonstrated to me that it is NEVER a good idea for a campus police to investigate serious crimes involving their students or staff. Mainly because of what appears to be manifesting here. While there is a statute of limitations on many crimes, felony sexual assaults are not included; if these allegations appear even remotely true....LPD should be notified/requested to come in and investigate criminally. Hopefully, the civil suits will serve as a catalyst for that, if the allegations are founded.
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote: July 21st, 2021, 10:20 pm Just curious...In NC, municipal police departments have original jurisdiction on campuses in their jurisdiction. As such, a campus police cannot restrict them from investigation of criminal activity on campus if they so desire. Generally, the local PD will "yield" to the campus PD for cases on campus, but in NC...they don't have to. Usually it's because the local PD is already holding a massive case load. I've seen some serious conflict in this regard, when a governmentally vested police agency conducted an investigation over the authority and protests of a campus police. Nevertheless, the state AG backed the local police. My point being, I would be interested to know where Lynchburg PD stands on LU's campus police in general and their ability and proactivity in particular. In NC, campus police are essentially the same as "company police". Is that a similar situation in Va? Were ANY of these cases reported to the municipal authorities? If not, why did LUPD not at least pass on and/or consult with the LPD on the matter. My own experience has demonstrated to me that it is NEVER a good idea for a campus police to investigate serious crimes involving their students or staff. Mainly because of what appears to be manifesting here. While there is a statute of limitations on many crimes, felony sexual assaults are not included; if these allegations appear even remotely true....LPD should be notified/requested to come in and investigate criminally. Hopefully, the civil suits will serve as a catalyst for that, if the allegations are founded.
"According to a Mutual Aid Agreement between the Liberty University Police Department, the Lynchburg Police Department and the city of Lynchburg, LUPD has control of investigations on Liberty University's campus."

https://wset.com/news/abc13-investigate ... lu-lawsuit
By k9saber
rmiller1959 wrote: July 21st, 2021, 11:21 pm
rtb72 wrote: July 21st, 2021, 10:20 pm Just curious...In NC, municipal police departments have original jurisdiction on campuses in their jurisdiction. As such, a campus police cannot restrict them from investigation of criminal activity on campus if they so desire. Generally, the local PD will "yield" to the campus PD for cases on campus, but in NC...they don't have to. Usually it's because the local PD is already holding a massive case load. I've seen some serious conflict in this regard, when a governmentally vested police agency conducted an investigation over the authority and protests of a campus police. Nevertheless, the state AG backed the local police. My point being, I would be interested to know where Lynchburg PD stands on LU's campus police in general and their ability and proactivity in particular. In NC, campus police are essentially the same as "company police". Is that a similar situation in Va? Were ANY of these cases reported to the municipal authorities? If not, why did LUPD not at least pass on and/or consult with the LPD on the matter. My own experience has demonstrated to me that it is NEVER a good idea for a campus police to investigate serious crimes involving their students or staff. Mainly because of what appears to be manifesting here. While there is a statute of limitations on many crimes, felony sexual assaults are not included; if these allegations appear even remotely true....LPD should be notified/requested to come in and investigate criminally. Hopefully, the civil suits will serve as a catalyst for that, if the allegations are founded.
"According to a Mutual Aid Agreement between the Liberty University Police Department, the Lynchburg Police Department and the city of Lynchburg, LUPD has control of investigations on Liberty University's campus."

Sexual assault investigations are extremely sensitive, for obvious reasons...unlike property crimes, as one has alluded to here previously. You are spot on when you noted there are no statute of limitations of felony sex crimes. Here is a link to a well known site within professional LE circles that provides real-world insight into the truths of these types of crimes:

https://www.police1.com/police-products ... oS1WxaXUu/

Some key takeaways from the article that are facts directly related to the LUPD situation:

Scope of the Crime – Why Rape Often Goes Unreported

According to the UCR, 94,635 persons were raped in the United States in 2004. Note: These figures represent only reported forcible rapes. Although we don’t know exactly how many people are raped each year, according to a 1999 FBI law enforcement bulletin, up to 84 percent of all sexual assaults go unreported. In Criminal investigation (McGraw Hill, 2006), the authors cite a series of studies indicating why women do not report being raped:

Worries of unsympathetic treatment from police and discomforting procedures;
Lack of belief in the police’s ability to apprehend the suspect;
Fear of further victimization by court proceedings (a result of television programs or newspaper reports);
Embarrassment about publicity, however limited; and
Fear of reprisal by the rapist.

Other textbooks on criminal investigation posit insensitive treatment by law enforcement personnel is the primary cause rape is not reported. This may be true in isolated instances, but in my 30 years of investigative experience, the police officers I’ve worked with fully understand the psychological trauma experienced by rape victims and go to great lengths to treat the victim with compassion and professionalism. What may be lacking is the coordinated skill set in investigation rape from organizational (administration to management), supervisory and line perspectives. This column will discuss dispatcher and first responder duties.

We must be extremely careful when we "speak" on the "why" that victims do not report immediately or at all, wait long periods of time, and so forth. To forcibly have sex with someone is devastating, emotionally, spiritually, and physically; make it personal...stop and think about an act like this carried out on your wife, mom, or daughter. To throw emotion driven opinions out on a victim spotlights much foolish ignorance on the one speaking. And...last but not least, lest anyone arrogantly points out that the article is from 2006, I can tell you from experience that sadly, very little has changed regarding the elements of sexual assault/rape investigations.
By rtb72
rmiller1959 wrote: July 21st, 2021, 11:21 pm

I'm guessing with regard to subject matter/territorial jurisdiction, the MA agreement is most likely for LUPD asst. to LPD outside of LUPD's jurisdiction. As K9Saber eluded to in the last post....one concern I would have at LUPD is the skills set for these (and most other) serious crimes. Not taking away anything from LUPD...but I'm not sure you would have the amount of experience in a campus PD that you might find in a municipal PD. The problem comes in when you have entities that don't have said ability....yet fail to yield to authorities that do possess such expertise. Not saying that's what happened in any of these cases, but I'd think LUPD referring more sensitive cases to LPD would be a very good practice in the future, it just makes the whole matter much more objective in my opinion. I would be very curious what LPD's true perspective is on the caliber, competence, and capacity of LUPD.
By LUAlum1215
Lynchburg PD has jurisdiction on campus and is the primary law enforcement agency for the entire city, including campus. That said, they do not get involved with anything on campus unless specifically asked to do so. As far as relations between the two agencies, when I first started with LU in 2011, there was a clear disfunction between the two. From my perspective, both agencies were about to begin a massive turnover and were at the time staffed mostly by older officers. At least half if not more at LU were retired LE from other states or the military and were what we called ROD- retired on duty, while LPD was about to see most of their patrol retire. As both agencies hired new officers we greatly appreciated the relationship on both sides and used each other to help from time to time. I've called LPD to help with cases I investigated and have been called to help with LPD calls for service off campus during extreme high call volume.

As far as authority and ability, LUPD police officers are trained in the same regional academy LPD and 50+ agencies use, is certified through VA DCJS like every other police officer in the state of VA is, and has the same arrest authority as every other officer. LUPD officers are sworn through Lynchburg Circuit Court as camps police officers thus they do not have city wide jurisdiction, but only have jurisdiction on properties owned and controlled by LU and any public property immediately adjoining and adjacent to it. Outside of the jurisdiction differences, the only thing I can recall that campus police cannot do is get a search warrant to track, or "ping" a phone/laptop/etc. or forensically search such devices. I never had the need for this so I don't recall the details but recall or investigator having to go to LPD several times for this.

That said, does LPD respect the ability of LUPD officers? They would have to answer that. As with any job I think you have some who are better at some things than others. I knew for a sexual assault case who was the best officer to investigate it. And while I never was dispatched or assigned such type of cases, I knew who to call if I was. I will also say that there is no bicycle effect with law enforcement. If you don't use something you will lose it, especially with complex investigations. Thankfully there is no rampant barrage of violent crime occurring on LU's campus (these 12 victims fall over the last 20-25 years, and while I know there are likely others it is not a daily occurrence) but as such the officers do not have experience investigating it. Should they rely on LPD more to assist with these? Yes. Get ego the heck out of the way and let those better at it come help you. Should they be required to? No. They have been trained to the same standard required by the state and are deemed competent officers. If they (officers themselves or administration) choose not to make sure they are trained up on these topics and able to handle them then they need to rectify that posthaste or be willing to accept the ramifications when they come.

Finally, I do not believe there is a conflict of interest of LUPD investigating serious crimes on its own campus. Lynchburg PD investigates these same crimes in their own city. Campbell County investigates them in their own county. Liberty investigates them on their own campus. If the investigation involves an officer of the department or in LU's case an executive administrator then yes an outside agency would be appropriate and has been utilized as well. If you recall the officer involved shooting in 2013 LU did not handle that, Lynchburg did. That is how it should be. If any campus police department does not feel competent to handle a specific case then they need to figure out why and correct their issue. Training never stops, and should never be focused on one specific area but should continue to polish all aspects of the job.

Full transparency, I'm no longer with LUPD. I left the agency for a multitude of reasons on my own accord. There are a lot of good people there who I am sure are working to examine and rectify any issues or deficiencies within the department. There are also others who would be better suited finding other vocations. While I am thankful for and love the people, the university, and the police department for what it has done for me and my personal/professional life, I do hope everything that needs to be uncovered and rectified is so these type of cases are handled correctly and safely both within the PD and Title IX offices.
Purple Haize, rtb72, LUOrange and 1 others liked this
By rtb72
LUAlum1215 wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 10:05 am
Lynchburg PD has jurisdiction on campus and is the primary law enforcement agency for the entire city, including campus. That said, they do not get involved with anything on campus unless specifically asked to do so. As far as relations between the two agencies, when I first started with LU in 2011, there was a clear disfunction between the two. From my perspective, both agencies were about to begin a massive turnover and were at the time staffed mostly by older officers. At least half if not more at LU were retired LE from other states or the military and were what we called ROD- retired on duty, while LPD was about to see most of their patrol retire. As both agencies hired new officers we greatly appreciated the relationship on both sides and used each other to help from time to time. I've called LPD to help with cases I investigated and have been called to help with LPD calls for service off campus during extreme high call volume.

As far as authority and ability, LUPD police officers are trained in the same regional academy LPD and 50+ agencies use, is certified through VA DCJS like every other police officer in the state of VA is, and has the same arrest authority as every other officer. LUPD officers are sworn through Lynchburg Circuit Court as camps police officers thus they do not have city wide jurisdiction, but only have jurisdiction on properties owned and controlled by LU and any public property immediately adjoining and adjacent to it. Outside of the jurisdiction differences, the only thing I can recall that campus police cannot do is get a search warrant to track, or "ping" a phone/laptop/etc. or forensically search such devices. I never had the need for this so I don't recall the details but recall or investigator having to go to LPD several times for this.

That said, does LPD respect the ability of LUPD officers? They would have to answer that. As with any job I think you have some who are better at some things than others. I knew for a sexual assault case who was the best officer to investigate it. And while I never was dispatched or assigned such type of cases, I knew who to call if I was. I will also say that there is no bicycle effect with law enforcement. If you don't use something you will lose it, especially with complex investigations. Thankfully there is no rampant barrage of violent crime occurring on LU's campus (these 12 victims fall over the last 20-25 years, and while I know there are likely others it is not a daily occurrence) but as such the officers do not have experience investigating it. Should they rely on LPD more to assist with these? Yes. Get ego the heck out of the way and let those better at it come help you. Should they be required to? No. They have been trained to the same standard required by the state and are deemed competent officers. If they (officers themselves or administration) choose not to make sure they are trained up on these topics and able to handle them then they need to rectify that posthaste or be willing to accept the ramifications when they come.

Finally, I do not believe there is a conflict of interest of LUPD investigating serious crimes on its own campus. Lynchburg PD investigates these same crimes in their own city. Campbell County investigates them in their own county. Liberty investigates them on their own campus. If the investigation involves an officer of the department or in LU's case an executive administrator then yes an outside agency would be appropriate and has been utilized as well. If you recall the officer involved shooting in 2013 LU did not handle that, Lynchburg did. That is how it should be. If any campus police department does not feel competent to handle a specific case then they need to figure out why and correct their issue. Training never stops, and should never be focused on one specific area but should continue to polish all aspects of the job.

Full transparency, I'm no longer with LUPD. I left the agency for a multitude of reasons on my own accord. There are a lot of good people there who I am sure are working to examine and rectify any issues or deficiencies within the department. There are also others who would be better suited finding other vocations. While I am thankful for and love the people, the university, and the police department for what it has done for me and my personal/professional life, I do hope everything that needs to be uncovered and rectified is so these type of cases are handled correctly and safely both within the PD and Title IX offi
Thank you for the very detailed information. That does help quite a bit with understanding how a campus police is structured with a municipal in Va. I did not know a circuit court swore in campus police in Va. That's very much different from NC. To your point, ego has been and still is a problem with some areas of overlapping jurisdiction. I do have concerns with a campus PD which is directed by a Chief serving under a Chancellor or President, versus a municipal PD which seems to have more autonomy, despite a city manager/mayor oversight. That may also be different in Va than NC also. Does LUPD send their CID officers to specialized training, i.e. crime scene, sexual assault, etc? Just curious...I know officers can share the same initial training and subject matter jurisdiction, but the department dictates the level and frequency of training. Hopefully, the officers you referenced are or will be in leadership/policy making roles to affect positive impact for the campus police.....not that it's not already a fine department. I have no idea...just curious about how it operates and it's policing philosophy. In all honestly, I've never worked for a campus police, but have dealt with issues involving some. Like any other agency...they have good and bad qualities. Again, thanks for the information.
LUAlum1215 liked this
By Jonathan Carone
I don't think there's a conflict of interest with LUPD, but given they report to Laura Wallace, there's definitely a conflict of interest from her part. She's the wizard behind the curtain in a lot of these instances making sure things get swept under the rug or are handled internally.
k9saber liked this
By LUAlum1215
Thank you for the very detailed information. That does help quite a bit with understanding how a campus police is structured with a municipal in Va. I did not know a circuit court swore in campus police in Va. That's very much different from NC. To your point, ego has been and still is a problem with some areas of overlapping jurisdiction. I do have concerns with a campus PD which is directed by a Chief serving under a Chancellor or President, versus a municipal PD which seems to have more autonomy, despite a city manager/mayor oversight. That may also be different in Va than NC also. Does LUPD send their CID officers to specialized training, i.e. crime scene, sexual assault, etc? Just curious...I know officers can share the same initial training and subject matter jurisdiction, but the department dictates the level and frequency of training. Hopefully, the officers you referenced are or will be in leadership/policy making roles to affect positive impact for the campus police.....not that it's not already a fine department. I have no idea...just curious about how it operates and it's policing philosophy. In all honestly, I've never worked for a campus police, but have dealt with issues involving some. Like any other agency...they have good and bad qualities. Again, thanks for the information.
[/quote]

Officers are only restricted in the training they attend by manpower needs and how much a particular class/school costs. I've had requests turned down to go to classes that cost several hundred and gone to many free. I've also had free classes turned down but know of some who've gone to several hundred dollar courses, one specifically was going to a week or two week long crime scene class right around the time I left. Concerning the current investigator (there was only one when I left and I believe he is still the only full time) he retired out of a fairly large city/metro area and was a sex crimes detective when he retired. I very much trust his judgement and investigation knowledge and skill set. He started at LU a year or two after I did. Great officer and even better man.
By LUAlum1215
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 2:50 pm I don't think there's a conflict of interest with LUPD, but given they report to Laura Wallace, there's definitely a conflict of interest from her part. She's the wizard behind the curtain in a lot of these instances making sure things get swept under the rug or are handled internally.
I don't remember exactly when it happened, but as of last fall LUPD no longer reports to LW or HR. Ron Sloan is the Vice President of Campus Safety and Security, unless they changed the official title. He is over the PD, Access Control, and Environmental Health and Safety and answers directly to Prevo.

But yes, she's the one holding a lot of puppet strings for sure.
Jonathan Carone liked this
By Whatisthetruth
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 2:50 pm I don't think there's a conflict of interest with LUPD, but given they report to Laura Wallace, there's definitely a conflict of interest from her part. She's the wizard behind the curtain in a lot of these instances making sure things get swept under the rug or are handled internally.
YES! This here.
k9saber liked this
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: July 21st, 2021, 6:52 am
Purple Haize wrote: July 21st, 2021, 6:08 am
ballcoach15 wrote: July 21st, 2021, 6:06 am I believe those lawsuits are fueled by sleazy liberal lawyers. Being filed in Eastern District of New York sounds shady.
Do you believe any of the stories the women have told? Do you think something like they describe is capable of happening at LU?
Unfortunately it's happening everywhere. Endtime sins gaining steam. Look up fellas :idea:
Ancient Rome would like their claim on depravity restored. As would the Vikings of the Middle Ages, the slave traders, Hitler, Stalin, etc. Every generation believes theirs is the last. Nothing new under the sun.

Not trying to derail this thread over eschatology but IMO it's a cop-out to suggest this may be a BS lawsuit based one's perception of the end times. It's either true or not true.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Just John wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 11:50 pm Ancient Rome would like their claim on depravity restored. As would the Vikings of the Middle Ages, the slave traders, Hitler, Stalin, etc. Every generation believes theirs is the last. Nothing new under the sun.

We are becoming all those rolled up in to one. Add in news around Israel. Rapture could take place at anytime. 👆
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
It was nice to not have every thread turn into an end times doomsday thread for a while. It was a nice run!

All joking aside, I have no idea what Christ's return has to do with this lawsuit and how the school deals with things like sexual assault. I'd imagine that we should still pursue truth and I'd imagine that is what Christ himself would want.
Just John, ATrain, Baybird and 1 others liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
I think Proverbs 28 (the whole chapter) is more appropriate to approaching this situation, as well as current and former leaders, than verses dealing with end times eschatology.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]