This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By paradox
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote: June 30th, 2021, 4:42 pm On the other hand LU is the religious culture that it is. That we are.. We all went there. Would you say your church is 5% black? It's probably less.
Valid point.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 30th, 2021, 3:27 pm I dream of a day when Liberty is united by our faith, not our politics. If we can agree on Jesus, we can disagree on the other issues and still be Champions for Christ together.
That would be the ideal. As the Western World continues to drift left, Christianity should be unaffected. But some are overreacting. Some who seem to be motivated by fear may feel threatened and overcommit to the right, while others are tempted to make unnecessary accommodations to the left and seek safety in servility. Either way, both lack faith. Focus on the faith. That should be our passion. But how many even care about that? It's not even that real for the nominal. And they are very much apart of the scene, especially in heavily Protestant regions.
Last edited by paradox on June 30th, 2021, 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SumItUp, Kricket liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Just John wrote: June 30th, 2021, 3:15 pm Has there ever been any explanation about why Turner Gill left so quickly after being brought back into an admin role?
While I can't speak as to specifics, the hiring of both TG and Kelvin Edwards by JLFJR, while welcomed by almost everyone, was also a transparently PR motivated attempt to show he was trying to address the perception that the culture at Liberty was not welcoming to black students or employees by bringing in 2 personal friends in prominent well-paid positions. JR's departure obviously dramatically changed the dynamic.
Just John liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Just my opinion as stokes mentioned but Jr putting republican politics first and linking us with Trump put the racist reputation over our school. I hate it and disagree with it but it’s unfortunate with today’s political climate and media but this is why I wish we would stay away from politics and focus on Christ. Be United. With our current leadership and the “Freedom Center” it seems like they’re not stopping any time soon.

We’re only going to continue to alienate the African American students on campus and attracting potential students. Our leadership is content on attracting the TPUSA crowd and they’re a joke.
Jonathan Carone liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
What is "the racist reputation?" Not sure what you mean by that. And why would the Freedom Center be necessarily racist? Standing for religious liberty is somehow offensive to certain races?
Kricket liked this
By Whatisthetruth
It is hard to believe this guy got a 15 year employment contract, guaranteed annual raises, a car allowance, access to private jets, and was a shoe-in to be the next president of LU.

By Jonathan Carone
Somebody screen shot something Trey said in 2012 five minutes after he posted it and kept it for nine years?

Also - knowing the idiot I was in college, I’d much prefer to judge Trey on the things he did while in leadership as opposed to things said at 21-years-old. These are the petty things that take away from the real criticisms.
ballah09 liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: June 30th, 2021, 7:24 pm What is "the racist reputation?" Not sure what you mean by that. And why would the Freedom Center be necessarily racist? Standing for religious liberty is somehow offensive to certain races?
If you follow the media, everything related Trump and the GOP is deemed racist in which our school partakes in aka, racist reputation. If you follow any media, educational and political pundits on social media platforms, they will refer us as a xenophobia and racist school. Potential students see all that. Some don't care, some do and look at other christian schools.

Freedom Center is a joke. They are standing up for no one but themselves. Nothing academically about them besides throwing crap against the wall hoping something sticks. In fact they quoted the wrong John Kennedy quote the other day that was flagged. Just shows you how dumb they are.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I wish I knew how to post Gifs here. Fonzi needs to make an appearance
LU 57 liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: June 30th, 2021, 8:25 pm
paradox wrote: June 30th, 2021, 7:24 pm What is "the racist reputation?" Not sure what you mean by that. And why would the Freedom Center be necessarily racist? Standing for religious liberty is somehow offensive to certain races?
If you follow the media, everything related Trump and the GOP is deemed racist in which our school partakes in aka, racist reputation. If you follow any media, educational and political pundits on social media platforms, they will refer us as a xenophobia and racist school. Potential students see all that. Some don't care, some do and look at other christian schools.

Freedom Center is a joke. They are standing up for no one but themselves. Nothing academically about them besides throwing crap against the wall hoping something sticks. In fact they quoted the wrong John Kennedy quote the other day that was flagged. Just shows you how dumb they are.
There's always been criticism and slander against Liberty. That goes with the territory. Sometimes it happens because you did something right. Same with being a Christian. It goes with the territory. Scripture says to expect it.

I have no idea whether the Freedom Center is disingenuous or egotistical. Possibly so. Who knows? But many things in this life are phony and egotistical. It's everywhere. If someone truly believes that about the Freedom Center, then they are assuredly free to avoid the place. Not that big of a deal. Everyone avoids something.
Kricket liked this
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: June 30th, 2021, 8:45 pm

There's always been criticism and slander against Liberty. That goes with the territory. Sometimes it happens because you did something right. Same with being a Christian. It goes with the territory. Scripture says to expect it.
This is the excuse I've heard from the Liberty/TRBC leadership since the 70's. It is usually a justification for negative responses when we are hypocritical, or more often, just being a**holes.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Not denying that people misuse scripture and rationalize things that they need to be accountable for. It's sad. Too many weirdos speaking out of turn. Nevertheless, the true believer, will be misunderstood, misrepresented, and even slandered at times. And if you remain true, it will only make you stronger.
Kricket, Purple Haize, Baybird and 1 others liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The finale focused on Prevo & the Board drops tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if preemptive social posts start flying out today or if they choose to bury their collective heads in the sand.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: July 6th, 2021, 9:33 am The finale focused on Prevo & the Board drops tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if preemptive social posts start flying out today or if they choose to bury their collective heads in the sand.
Have the podcasters contacted you for your opinions Sly? I wonder who's feeding them info. I haven't taken the time to listen to but part of one. Heard nothing new.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I have had no contact with the podcast folks whatsoever. But I have listened to each one and experienced the fallout from those on the mountain sending me private messages on multiple platforms. You should listen to Episode 3. It will make your heart sink.

I have had other organizations reach out to me but I have not done anything beyond what I have shared on this board. I love the university and want reform to get us back on mission. We cannot afford as a school to have a small group of people serving their own interests first. This is a critical time in our university's history and it seems few people in our current senior leadership recognize it as such.

As I type this I am sure there are some reading this thread who see me as some sort of muckraking liberal trying to take the school in a negative direction. Anyone who has spent more than a few days on this board knows that is hogwash. But when your house is not in order, it is a dereliction of duties not to acknowledge and make it right. Doc would agree. Elmer Towns would agree. Let's make it right!
ElmersTwin, flamehunter, rogers3 and 6 others liked this
By Whatisthetruth
Sly Fox wrote: July 6th, 2021, 12:02 pm I have had no contact with the podcast folks whatsoever. But I have listened to each one and experienced the fallout from those on the mountain sending me private messages on multiple platforms. You should listen to Episode 3. It will make your heart sink.

I have had other organizations reach out to me but I have not done anything beyond what I have shared on this board. I love the university and want reform to get us back on mission. We cannot afford as a school to have a small group of people serving their own interests first. This is a critical time in our university's history and it seems few people in our current senior leadership recognize it as such.

As I type this I am sure there are some reading this thread who see me as some sort of muckraking liberal trying to take the school in a negative direction. Anyone who has spent more than a few days on this board knows that is hogwash. But when your house is not in order, it is a dereliction of duties not to acknowledge and make it right. Doc would agree. Elmer Towns would agree. Let's make it right!
I think you are spot on Sly. The problem is there is so much money and power at stake nobody at the top is going to willingly embrace change.
ElmersTwin liked this
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Some interesting tidbits in there but overall a bit of a letdown of a finale.

Confirmation that Jr WAS on the TRBC board. What a joke. I'm so glad the nuclear option to save the school rests with a church that had a nonmember of no integrity on it's board. Let's see season 4 on TRBC.
ElmersTwin, k9saber, ATrain liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, I think Julie Roys posted documents that showed Jr as on the TRBC board a few months ago. The fact that remained the case for so long is one of the main reasons I am cautious with how much trust I put in Jonathan. He seems like a good enough guy but the things he allowed to slide for so long don't exactly give me a warm and fuzzy.
k9saber, ATrain liked this
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I dont know him at all but he seems kind of like a sermon reading robot. Just read the script in a weird pastor cadence. Weather any problems by ignoring them. Collect accolades.
Purple Haize liked this
By Whatisthetruth
LUconn wrote: July 7th, 2021, 10:45 am I dont know him at all but he seems kind of like a sermon reading robot. Just read the script in a weird pastor cadence. Weather any problems by ignoring them. Collect accolades.
I do not see how anyone in leadership can be trusted to do the right thing including Jonathan. He knew about his brother and did not do anything to protect those individuals from episode 3.

Another interesting point is when Jr claimed he should have fired Askew & Godwin on day 1. Askew was not an employee when Jr took over, he was a member of the BOT executive committee. Perhaps Jr felt the BOT worked for him on day one?
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Whatisthetruth wrote: July 7th, 2021, 11:00 am
LUconn wrote: July 7th, 2021, 10:45 am I dont know him at all but he seems kind of like a sermon reading robot. Just read the script in a weird pastor cadence. Weather any problems by ignoring them. Collect accolades.
I do not see how anyone in leadership can be trusted to do the right thing including Jonathan. He knew about his brother and did not do anything to protect those individuals from episode 3.

Another interesting point is when Jr claimed he should have fired Askew & Godwin on day 1. Askew was not an employee when Jr took over, he was a member of the BOT executive committee. Perhaps Jr felt the BOT worked for him on day one?
I agree with his statement regarding Godwin. As I recall, he is a BJU boy and you just can't get that out of many people. I would say <5% in my experience. My high school was a highway of students enrolling to BJU. Knowing hundreds of grads personally, Only about 4-5 are normal people. Almost as bad/corrupt as HAC.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
You guys are kind of missing the point

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memp[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]