This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 3:03 pm
TH Spangler wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 7:42 am
ballah09 wrote: June 1st, 2021, 7:41 pm

This. We're probably going to see a lot more victims coming out since Prevo is cleaning out Jr's guys and replacing them with his.

Speaking of admins, politico put a good article out on how crazy our board members are and how bad Jonathan got treated during the past election.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... ump-491319
Rewrites of this article are already popping up on outlets like MSN, Salon, Slate, Yahoo, Mother Jones. :lol:

You can bet if Liberty, like the article suggest, moves back to a more conservative stance like that of Doctor Falwell, Pastor Johnathan or Dr Voddie Baucham the media attention will double.
The National Inquirer is much more valid than any of those outlets (maybe with the exception of Yahoo).
maggie wrote a fair and balanced article in politico. The others are using it to lead into their usual liberal agenda :lol: .
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 3:50 pm I think he's talking about the board of trustees in general and not the 2005 story in particular.

The 2005 story is not publishable in its current form for the very reason that we see with potential perceptions such as Stokes. He thinks that Godwin is being quoted when it's an unsubstantiated claim. No one is going to sue Roys, but they would go after MSN for sure. The piece is in need of some heavy editing and skillful revising.
I was giving sue roy to much respect. but she lost some some with this peice
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Any thoughts on Jonathan? It doesn't seem good but I don't know if it's a case of "I'm a liar just like the rest" or "I just tell people what they want to hear to keep because I don't like conflict". Either way, maybe we should start looking past surnames for leadership.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I think Jonathan has grown a lot since 2005. I still wish he had the fortitude to address any of the goings on at Liberty publicly, but he at least means well.

An inside source at T-Road has told me that Jonathan has said in meetings that T-Road now has more influence at LU than they have had in some time. Sounds like Jonathan intends to use it.
TH Spangler liked this
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Except in that episode the victim claimed she has recently been in contact with Jonathan and he told her she'd "have a seat at the table" of the jerry investigation when she expressed her concern that only finances were being looked into. She's yet to be contacted and the investigation has concluded.
k9saber, stokesjokes liked this
I have so many conflicting thoughts on Jonathan.

On one hand he sat on the sidelines while so many terrible things were going on, all while knowing he was the one person who’s voice could help put an end to it.

On the other hand, his dad chose his brother to lead the school and he didn’t feel it was his place to say something and instead chose to let God deal with him.

From everyone I know who knows Jonathan, they have good things to say about him. I just don’t know where I land on his involvement at Liberty.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 6:14 pm Except in that episode the victim claimed she has recently been in contact with Jonathan and he told her she'd "have a seat at the table" of the jerry investigation when she expressed her concern that only finances were being looked into. She's yet to be contacted and the investigation has concluded.
Has the investigation concluded? They said it started and then after I've heard nothing. I wasn't even convinced it ever really started to begin with.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
They actually said that it had concluded, but I hadn't heard that either. I wonder if they concluded it had ended, mistaking the closing of the "tip line" portal that the forensic people had which ended in December.
By k9saber
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 2:28 pm There’s also a lot of shame in this situation at a Christian school that operates like Liberty. A lot of women would feel they have to stay quiet to avoid people thinking they brought it on themselves.
You are spot on with that statement...I've been in public safety for 30 years on the state level and very sadly...it is well known within certain unprofessional circles that "the girl/woman asked for it/brought it on themselves"angle is the easiest way to sidetrack a sexual assault investigation.

I’m sure that this post will resonate with some here... and not with others. Here is an evidence-based reality fact from real world experience: in every organization, the environment and the culture adapts, shifts, and takes on the characteristics of those that are in leadership. I use the term "leadership" very loosely, please know that. Being in a position of management or ownership never, ever equates to being a leader.

I find it very saddening to read comments here about finding holes in some of the stories…This is not a judicial proceeding nor a left wing hit piece from GC. Based upon the totality of the long running circumstances, a preponderance of years' of stories of corruption, coverup, and wrongdoing, one must do a lot of denying the evidence to not see what a disgrace to Christ, His name, and fellow believers that LU "management" has brought about. Further, the pain, trauma, disillusionment, and hopelessness that many employees and students have suffered throughout the years is 180° opposite of what Christ modeled for true believers to emulate. Protect the brand…protect a position…protect the paycheck…protect the business, and protect "me." Mindsets like these, and a lack of moral and spiritual courage has led to Liberty University gaining international acclaim, for the wrong reasons.

For those of you, that may still want to throw down the cheap grace card… Look at where the years of professional/corporate/personal sins of those entrusted with the care of the LU community has led. Everyone here at SOR sins, I sin...but when the Name of Christ has intentionally and willfully been used for years as a facade for marketing a business, making money, used as a license to sin without accountability, intentionally devastating others, withholding justice, on and on...these are depths of sin that people are modeling directly out of Micah: "Woe to those who devise wickedness and work evil on their beds! When the morning dawns, they perform it, because it is in the power of their hand."

I am very grateful that Christ wasn't a red, white, and blue American, wasn’t a member of the Republican Party, wasn't a Southern Baptist, wasn't a Liberty Flame, wasn't knocking on the door of the White House, and did not use his platform as a marketing tool for power, prestige, and money. For those that may think that I have a sharp blade to grind against Liberty…far from it. I have some very deep roots/friendships there, nameless, faceless people within the LU community who I love deeply and who love Christ. I feel their pain, and I have experienced that pain directly and still carry the scars.
stokesjokes, thepostman, Baybird and 2 others liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
I agree in principle with what you're saying. And So much of it has to do with the legalistic past and not moving rapidly enough away from that. Once upon a time I had a conversation with Pierre Guillermin. Straight-up guy. He told me that the goal was to move away from rules entirely. Christian liberty. Imagine that.

Because nonsense seems to abound here, some may be a little too willing to believe this particular story. I'm willing to listen. Would really like to hear from people who were dorm students at that time. Without that, I'm mostly agnostic on this issue at best.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I've talked to a couple friends who lived on east campus in 2005 and apparantly there were rumbles of it but it was so long ago at this point they don't recall the details but as soon as they read the story they believed it, at least in part.

So take that for what it is worth.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
I had a summer girlfriend who was a dorm student at Lehigh when the Cleary girl was tragically victimized. There was a pretty strong consensus among the student body in terms of opinion and it reverberated for years.

This reminds me of that, only she survived.

There would seem to be an absence of rage, panic, reflection. All would be normal. Can't take the leap or commit to this story. But again, willing to listen, if someone can make sense of it.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 6:14 pm Except in that episode the victim claimed she has recently been in contact with Jonathan and he told her she'd "have a seat at the table" of the jerry investigation when she expressed her concern that only finances were being looked into. She's yet to be contacted and the investigation has concluded.
Haven’t listened yet, was just responding to the Roys report. If it’s true that the investigation has concluded, it hasn’t been much of an investigation.

This is why we end up with podcasts and reports from the outside. I’m sure some will want to frame them as media hit-pieces, but if LU would actually investigate and be forthcoming about these things, we wouldn’t have to hear it from these sources.
k9saber liked this
By LUAlum1215
A couple of things-

The fact that no charges were brought doesn't mean it didn't happen. Most likely charges weren't brought because there was a lack of physical evidence. Without a perk kit (rape kit) or witnesses, its a he-shaid-she-said, and that's not enough to get a warrant issued much less a conviction. I never met Ofc. Jones until after she had left LU as her days were before mine (I met her briefly one time), but I worked with her husband in the same capacity and from what I've heard of her from several people, I trust she was doing the best she could.

I'll add that it was not rare, in fact it happened far more times than not, that a female would claim having been assaulted only to change the story or admit to having made the claim up completely mid-investigation for a number of different reasons. That is no excuse for any failure to take a complaint seriously or not investigating it fully, but that it those stories happen often- a few times per semester usually.

Re: Jonathan, I would tend to believe he wants the best for the students and protect them, but question how much authority he has/had to give someone a seat at the table in the investigation. I'm not convinced he has much voice in the BOT room, though I could be really off target here.

I was really taken aback by the claims against Keith Anderson. I've always thought he was a good dude and was always treated respectfully in the different encounters I had with him. I'd never heard anything of these sorts regarding him before today, but am very glad the position my wife was applying for in his office was filled before she got an interview.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 2:20 pm Ahhh ok. Well on that note there were always rumors about things that happened in the ravine and then when the tunnel opened I remember hearing things. So it is hard to remember anything specific about this story. It was 16 years ago and it doesn't sound like she was out telling everybody. She just wanted to be heard and for things to be changed from a safety perspective.

I was talking to my wife about this earlier today and she said she always felt safer at other colleges because they always had cameras and call boxes. LU never had any of that. So she has a hard time believing LU was actually the safest.

I think that has changed now but I'm not 100% sure.
The school has been led by fraudsters for too long. If you dig, you'll know why the "cameras" we have now haven't made the campus any safer.
Purple Haize, k9saber liked this
By LUAlum1215
One other thing I wanted to add and forgot- as a student and employee I pushed for cameras and blue light call boxes for years. I was always told that there was no need for such things but the optics of those things made it seem as if crime were an issue so to avoid the bad publicity they wouldn't be considered.
By k9saber
rogers3 wrote:The school has been led by fraudsters for too long. If you dig, you'll know why the "cameras" we have now haven't made the campus any safer.
Here's another evidence-based reality fact from real world experience...If working cameras aren't available, there is no video evidence available to corroborate an actual crime occurring. Video evidence helps prove who is responsible for a crime, how they did it, where it occurred...It connects people to events.

Very hard to argue against a "silent witness. Your critical thinking switch has now been clicked on...
This here!

Why do you all think Jerry Jr went bat crazy when his belligerent emails became public several years ago? He could not lie about it and blame fake news, a coup, or whatever. Same thing with the recordings Granda made. The tape don't lie.

As one twitter post said, the administration laundered the crime stats. Jr didn't do it alone and many of his co-conspirators are still employed. The BOT that covered for him are still calling the shots.

k9saber wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 7:57 am
rogers3 wrote:The school has been led by fraudsters for too long. If you dig, you'll know why the "cameras" we have now haven't made the campus any safer.
Here's another evidence-based reality fact from real world experience...If working cameras aren't available, there is no video evidence available to corroborate an actual crime occurring. Video evidence helps prove who is responsible for a crime, how they did it, where it occurred...It connects people to events.

Very hard to argue against a "silent witness. Your critical thinking switch has now been clicked on...
k9saber liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I was finally able to listen to Episode 3 and I must say that I find all of the allegations very credible. While GC clearly comes into the series with an agenda, they are doing a very nice job of journalism. I wish some of us could claim this all seems outlandish. Sadly that is not the case. The last few minutes referencing how the experiences on the mountain had led many of those interviewed away from Christianity. That is the greatest tragedy of this whole mess. Hypocrisy is brutal.

For those of us who love the school there is no other option than to clean house of those that were both enablers and bad actors.
thepostman, k9saber, LUAlum1215 and 4 others liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 5:53 pm I was finally able to listen to Episode 3 and I must say that I find all of the allegations very credible. While GC clearly comes into the series with an agenda, they are doing a very nice job of journalism. I wish some of us could claim this all seems outlandish. Sadly that is not the case. The last few minutes referencing how the experiences on the mountain had led many of those interviewed away from Christianity. That is the greatest tragedy of this whole mess. Hypocrisy is brutal.

For those of us who love the school there is no other option than to clean house of those that were both enablers and bad actors.
Whether the specific allegations are true or not I don’t know and have questions. But I absolutely do not doubt that they could have taken place
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts

Looks like we have an answer to some of @paradox ’s questions about how known this was on campus at the time. Must have been talked about enough to publish this on the front page of the champion.
By LUAlum1215
Freshman year. I feel like I remember there being some rumors of rape then, but nothing specific. There was a rumor of a guy armed with scissors who assaulted or robbed a girl either 07-08 or 08-09. There was even a sketch of the guy released and plastered all around campus but he was never found.
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]