This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By paradox
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: June 6th, 2021, 2:24 pm

Looks like we have an answer to some of @paradox ’s questions about how known this was on campus at the time. Must have been talked about enough to publish this on the front page of the champion.

The "Kathy" incident was early 2005. The Champion article is late 2007. Approaching three years, right? I was simply asking, if anyone who happened to be a dorm student in 2005, remembered it. Sounds like she's just going after Hine. I think he was on that email trail that was posted last week.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, just responding to the idea that something like this would have reverberated through the student body. It seems like trying to quell the rumors 2-3 years later with a front-page Champion article is suggestive that it did.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Sorry, but if the girl was attacked by a man one night and goes to the movies with him the next night, I don't believe anything she says. I have two grown daughters and almost always take the woman's side, but not this one.
I am sure there have been many rapes and sexual assaults at LU. It is sad, but with that many kids and hormones in one small area, it is going to happen. I know some of them have been been settled with $$$ and some have been resolved as they should, ie legal action and removal of offender.
Hope this can be better policed under new administration. Unfortunately, many times, these assaults are "he said, she said" by their very nature. I say, "Light em up"
LUOrange liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I don't really understand what some of you guys are trying to do.

Of course there is a chance this lady's story isn't true. That still doesn't change that the way this school has operated with how they deal with tough allegations has been wrong. If it wasn't the case, they wouldn't have been fined.

They way the school has dealt with any of these tough issues has been straight out of the IFB playbook. So much so, we will probably never know the extent of what did an didn't happen.

The only way to even come close is to have a truly independent investigation into ALL areas.
flameshaw, k9saber, rtb72 liked this
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: June 6th, 2021, 4:58 pm Sorry, but if the girl was attacked by a man one night and goes to the movies with him the next night, I don't believe anything she says. I have two grown daughters and almost always take the woman's side, but not this one.
I am sure there have been many rapes and sexual assaults at LU. It is sad, but with that many kids and hormones in one small area, it is going to happen. I know some of them have been been settled with $$$ and some have been resolved as they should, ie legal action and removal of offender.
Hope this can be better policed under new administration. Unfortunately, many times, these assaults are "he said, she said" by their very nature. I say, "Light em up"
I am aware of two settlements in 7 figures due to administrative relationships with students. Most would recognize the names. Both went away for awhile and were brought back.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Just John wrote: June 6th, 2021, 5:54 pm
flameshaw wrote: June 6th, 2021, 4:58 pm Sorry, but if the girl was attacked by a man one night and goes to the movies with him the next night, I don't believe anything she says. I have two grown daughters and almost always take the woman's side, but not this one.
I am aware of two settlements in 7 figures due to administrative relationships with students. Most would recognize the names. Both went away for awhile and were brought back.
One went away after their purpose had been served. I don’t think they’ve been welcomed back
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: June 6th, 2021, 4:57 pm Yeah, just responding to the idea that something like this would have reverberated through the student body. It seems like trying to quell the rumors 2-3 years later with a front-page Champion article is suggestive that it did.
To clarify, the lurid specific details of the "Kathy" account would reverberate for sure. It's a brutal description. People tend to form strong opinions when they hear descriptions like this, in real time.

Still stuck in neutral on this one, though. Choosing to reserve judgment, for now.
Purple Haize liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Her roommate sure hung along for the ride for an awfully long time.

If this story is true, "Kathy" was out past curfew. She has a traumatic event happen. She snuck back into her dorm room because she was trying to avoid being seen for those same reasons. She avoided people for a bit while healing. Her roommate would've seen her condition which would explain why she stuck by her side through all of this. They lived on east campus and you really didn't have to leave your room much, especially if her roommate was helping her out.

To me, it seems more likely to be true than not. The shame people have after traumatic events like this happen often result in these very actions.

On top of all of that, the school was fined for how they handled it!
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Whether you doubt or believe the girl, sounds to me she just wanted to be heard and understood. Build the call boxes, add the lighting, thank her for bringing her story to light. Heck, put the 1 on the report. I don’t understand why the admins, even if they disbelieved her story, couldn’t do all those things. Referred the case to local authorities and charges weren’t brought. That part is out of LU’s hands.

I simply don’t understand what was to be gained by consistently ignoring the young lady and passing her off. Horrible management of the situation.

They were fined for not reporting it per the Clery act. But I’m wondering if no charges were brought by local authorities who looked into it, why was reporting of it required. Legally, if I’m correct, it’s an “alleged” incident to this day.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: June 6th, 2021, 6:28 pm
Just John wrote: June 6th, 2021, 5:54 pm
One went away after their purpose had been served. I don’t think they’ve been welcomed back
I was told they both were but I am certain one was. He left a second time but on his own volition.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: June 6th, 2021, 8:14 pm Her roommate sure hung along for the ride for an awfully long time.
This really stood out to me. She wouldn't let it go. There was no tangible selfish gain for her that we are aware of. We will likely never know the truth of it.
thepostman liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
That's because the truth usually resides somewhere in between. Gotta hear both sides. Would need to know details with the investigation. There are many possibilities.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Just John wrote: June 6th, 2021, 8:27 pm
Just John wrote: June 6th, 2021, 5:54 pm I am aware of two settlements in 7 figures due to administrative relationships with students. Most would recognize the names. Both went away for awhile and were brought back.
I was told they both were but I am certain one was. He left a second time but on his own volition.
I believe I’m adding a 3rd name to your list.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: June 6th, 2021, 10:01 pm
Just John wrote: June 6th, 2021, 8:27 pm

I believe I’m adding a 3rd name to your list.
Just John is correct about his 2. That is the same info that I know of. There could possibly be more (I have heard some strong rumors about another one). The key is to get these guys out, as soon as they offend and never let them come back, for ANY reason.
This week’s Gangster Capitalism showed how Liberty has been more interested in money than education over the last 13 years. Nothing new for most people here, but not a good look at all.

When you combine the money coming in from federal loans with the things we’ve covered up, it’s amazing we haven’t been investigated yet.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 9th, 2021, 10:30 am This week’s Gangster Capitalism showed how Liberty has been more interested in money than education over the last 13 years. Nothing new for most people here, but not a good look at all.

When you combine the money coming in from federal loans with the things we’ve covered up, it’s amazing we haven’t been investigated yet.
13 years? I guess that’s just as far back as they went?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 9th, 2021, 1:04 pm For the most part. Focused on the rise of the online school after Doc.
Well I’ll give Junior somewhat of a pass on that since the mentality pre dated his tenure. Plus he was around when employees were racing to the bank on payday to cash their checks before LU’s balance was 0
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, the pieces were in place and Jr just ran with it. The interview they took quotes from he even mentions that. The way the distance learning/online school was ran prior to Jr was suspect at best. It just got worse as years went along. I had a couple of friends who worked for that call center. The stories they tell aren't great, haha.
ATrain liked this

I just want a 6' 8+ forward that moves like venz[…]

NMSU

You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need c[…]

Charlotte

Charlotte comes to Liberty Wednesday, for a 4:00 p[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

This past weekend I saw my neighbor at HEB.