This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ok. Since The Rona Mrs Purple and I have been hooked on Dave Portnoy and his pizza reviews. (Pandemic Unboxing was awesome). Which reminded me that we used to do a “Best of..” thing here. Well, that’s too much work. So I’m gonna start a catch all category. Bring your new restaurant finds (County Smoak) and questions here
I’ll start with a question:

Pizza? We love Ledo’s. Love the fact that it’s a business run by a former LU student and family. But I’m wanting something new. My favorite pizza place is in Roanoke but I’m not there as much. So hit me up with you pizza place thoughts.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Pizza? Everybody knows what the two best pizza joints in Lynchburg are, and neither one is named Ledo's, though they do have the best Old Bay boneless wings in town! If want Lynchburg's best pizza, go to Timberlake or Forest.

Graziano’s in Forest
Brother's on Timberlake (next to Big Lots)

But what I want to talk about is the "Backyard in Forest," home to a dozen food trucks parked in the old lot where Carol's Place used to be--they have everything from BBQ to hot dogs to tacos to seafood to ice cream and pies, and a wings place is coming next. Soon, they will also have campfires and movie nights! They have Facebook page, too, with lots of pictures.

https://www.thebackyardforestva.com/?fb ... cAw6GYh3RQ
Last edited by Cider Jim on May 27th, 2021, 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Class of 20Something
Ledos is good, but I can't call any square cut a best pizza. I have Bayside Queens in my blood, so getting a proper fold is a must. I'm partial to JoJo's by UofL.

The best authentic tacos in town are Tacos Locos on Fort, by Chestnut Hill bakery.

Taste of Philly for cheesesteaks.

Burger is a tough decision. There are two different classes to me. There are fast-food burgers and gourmet burgers. And a hunger for one isn't filled with the other. Best fast food burger is Five Guys, but Cookout has them beat on value(taste/dollar). I also need to have the Cav again and refresh their entry in my mind. Gourmet burgers probably comes down to Brauburger and Bootleggers.

Speaking of Bootleggers, their tater tots are the best side in town. They're clearly sprinkled with MSG and Columbian cocaine.

We're also blessed with a ton of wide menu places to have larger groups with varying pallettes. The Neighbors Place, Iron & Ale, and Robin Alexander all do great at this.

I've heard great things about William & Henry, but since I haven't been, Shoemakers is my pick of the best steak I have had in Lynchburg.

What about best date night atmosphere? Best bar atmosphere?
ALUmnus, Purple Haize liked this
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Those are decent picks, 20something. Tacos Locos is great, and affordable. There's also a taco truck on 221 across from Aldi's, but I haven't tried it yet.
The Bootleggers tots are so good because of the horseradish dip, can't go there without ordering it. Gotta give The Waterdog a shoutout, too, love their menu.

Has anyone tried out the new place on the bluff walk, near El Jefe? Looks like they might have a dress code (kinda like The Boiler Room, RIP).
There are actually two new brew houses downtown, but unfortunately no food on the menu.

@Cider Jim, every time I go to the Backyard in Forest, almost none of the trucks are open, and they're mostly overpriced. The taco place was decent. I like the concept, though.

Of course, with all the new places opening up in town, it's still Popeyes who gets the longest lines....
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Anyone else think County Smoak is over-hyped and overpriced? I’ll take Blue Ridge BBQ in a heartbeat.

Brothers is good, very authentic to what I was used to in the Northeast.

Waterstone is always solid if you’re looking for something more artisanal with your pizza. I miss the pizza place that was in the spot that Panda Express is in, I forget the name.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote: May 27th, 2021, 2:38 pm @Cider Jim, every time I go to the Backyard in Forest, almost none of the trucks are open, and they're mostly overpriced. The taco place was decent. I like the concept, though.
Not positive, but Backyard in Forest may only be open Thursday-Sunday. Some of the trucks even serve breakfast! And of course Joe Beans is there, too, to make the whole place smell wonderful.

Backyard has the most heavy duty picnic tables that I've ever seen. Even Purple wouldn't be danger of flipping one over.
By LUOrange
Popeye's is still having staffing issues (like everyone else) from what I've gathered. 2 days ago, I went there for a late lunch with my daughter 2L30-2:45ish. The drive through line wasn't long, we sttarted in front of the main entrance and it still took us over an hour to get through. It looked like they only had a handful of employees, and the cashier was obviously new.

For pizza, I like Brother's and Uppercrust in Wyndhurst. For chinese it's New China in Waterlick Plaza for takeout and King's Island for dine-in. I like the steaks at Neighbor's Place and Golden Corral, believe it or not. The prime rib at Depot Grille is awesome too. Yellow Submarine is a great sandwich shop on Old forest in up behind Dunkin donuts and next to Areva. You can't go wrong with La Caretta and El Mariachi's. Also love the local staples of the T Room and Moore's hoy dogs.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: May 27th, 2021, 3:29 pm Anyone else think County Smoak is over-hyped and overpriced? I’ll take Blue Ridge BBQ in a heartbeat.
Purple and I have a major disagreement on this. He thinks County Smoak is BBQ manna. I agree the meat is out of this world, but except for the amazing baked beans, the rest of the sides are horrible. Who puts blue cheese in cole slaw?

At least the one in Forest, Blue Ridge BBQ has recently really upped their game in the quality and quantity of their brisket. The portion size was so big that had to take half of it home, and it looked huge pieces of pot roast. Of course, Blue Ridge has the best BBQ sides in town, and their onion rings are to die for.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
So I pass the baton of the Best of the Burg to Purple. I am geetting too old with too many time constraints to keep it alive. Run with it, my Padawan.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
LU Grad 11 wrote: May 27th, 2021, 7:11 pm Sourdough Pizza Company. Best pizza I've ever had.
The place sounded pretty good until I read this review. No wonder Ballcoach doesn't like pizza. :shock:

They literally put their hearts into every pizza.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
@Class of 20Something talk to me about JoJos. Why will I like it?

@Cider Jim and @stokesjokes how do you know like the sides at County Smoak? The Mac n cheese is awesome. Although I do agree the blue cheese slaw is an “acquired taste”. I do know Blue Ridge is the second worst bbq place I’ve been to around here. The sides aren’t good. The meats aren’t good. It’s just....not good.
By LUOrange
I haven't tried County Smoak yet, but I do like Blue Ridge BBQ and the Silver Pig in Hogtown is decent. If y'all don't mind the driver, JJ's Meat Shack in BV is really good. They have/had a place in SML, but it's not as good as their BV location.
Of course there's always The Mission in Roanoke and CVille, which is outstanding. Last December their special of the month was a huge slab od prime rib for $11, and it was as good if not better than the Depot's. There was a rumor that I read on Fakebook that said Panera was going to the mall and Mission was taking it's location in that little strip mall on Wards. I'd love a Mission in town, but they'd be better off at the mall just for parking and to attract people to the mall. IMO, there's nothing special about Panera, and theur coffee is bland.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
All this BBQ talk and no one has mentioned Small Batch yet? :dontgetit
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
@Purple Haize, I think County Smoak’s food is good, but it’s not $15-$20 a plate good. It’s a BBQ food truck, not a Brazilian steakhouse.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: May 28th, 2021, 7:26 am @Purple Haize, I think County Smoak’s food is good, but it’s not $15-$20 a plate good. It’s a BBQ food truck, not a Brazilian steakhouse.
If you’re paying $15-20 for a Brazilian Steakhouse it must be Rio De Ponderosa :D

Yeah it’s a little more expensive that Blue Ridge. But much better.

Have you tried their stuffed potatoes? That’s my groove right there. If you have not give them a go.
They also started doing Platters now so you don’t have to just buy by the Pint/Quart anymore

And you honestly can’t trust @Cider Jim foof recommendations. His idea of a fine steak house is Sizzler :lol:

stokesjokes liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: May 27th, 2021, 9:37 pm @Cider Jim how do you know like the sides at County Smoak? The Mac n cheese is awesome. Although I do agree the blue cheese slaw is an “acquired taste”. I do know Blue Ridge is the second worst bbq place I’ve been to around here. The sides aren’t good. The meats aren’t good. It’s just....not good.
Never really cared for anybody's Mac & Cheese. But County Smoak has killer baked beans!

You've got to selective in choosing the sides at Blue Ridge: NO to their cole slaw & potato salad; YES to their onion rings, macaroni salad, & collard greens! Blue Ridge has good desserts, too. And hot dogs! Mrs. Cider loves their wings. Plus, they have specials all the time that aren't on the regular menu.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: May 28th, 2021, 7:26 am It’s a BBQ food truck, not a Brazilian steakhouse.
POST OF THE YEAR!
Purple needs to add that quote to his signature. :lol: :rofl
LUOrange liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: May 28th, 2021, 7:31 am
stokesjokes wrote: May 28th, 2021, 7:26 am @Purple Haize, I think County Smoak’s food is good, but it’s not $15-$20 a plate good. It’s a BBQ food truck, not a Brazilian steakhouse.
If you’re paying $15-20 for a Brazilian Steakhouse it must be Rio De Ponderosa :D

Yeah it’s a little more expensive that Blue Ridge. But much better.

Have you tried their stuffed potatoes? That’s my groove right there. If you have not give them a go.
They also started doing Platters now so you don’t have to just buy by the Pint/Quart anymore

And you honestly can’t trust @Cider Jim foof recommendations. His idea of a fine steak house is Sizzler :lol:

Looking at their menu, there’s more I’d want to try. Now I have to convince the rest of the fam to go back...
By rhezick
jcmanson wrote: May 28th, 2021, 6:46 am All this BBQ talk and no one has mentioned Small Batch yet? :dontgetit
I don't usually care for BBQ, but dear God small batch is amazing.

Also I've been on the search for the best pizza in town, so thanks to Cidar and others I'll have to give brothers a try. Never been there.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
As it seems we're comprehensively evaluating the BBQ in Lynchburg, we also like Poke Joe's in Boonesboro when we're over on that side of town (I tend to get burgers there, not bbq). They have a food truck set up at the Backyard in Forest, though I don't know that it's operational.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
LU Grad 11 wrote: May 27th, 2021, 7:11 pm Sourdough Pizza Company. Best pizza I've ever had.
It's Friday, so Mrs. Cider and I thought we would give it a try. We got two 11-inch pizzas for $29. She got the Chicken Alfredo, and I got the BBQ chicken. We both liked the thin crust, and I like that they are baked in a wood-fire oven, but they were no where near the "best pizza I've ever had."
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
rhezick wrote: May 28th, 2021, 10:37 am
Also I've been on the search for the best pizza in town, so thanks to Cidar and others I'll have to give brothers a try. Never been there.
It's not much to look at from the outside, but a year or two ago some restaurant reviewer said Brother's Pizza was the best pizza in the whole state of Virginia. When somebody says something like that, I have to give it a try. :shock:
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]