This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LU Grad 11
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: May 28th, 2021, 3:09 pm
LU Grad 11 wrote: May 27th, 2021, 7:11 pm Sourdough Pizza Company. Best pizza I've ever had.
It's Friday, so Mrs. Cider and I thought we would give it a try. We got two 11-inch pizzas for $29. She got the Chicken Alfredo, and I got the BBQ chicken. We both liked the thin crust, and I like that they are baked in a wood-fire oven, but they were no where near the "best pizza I've ever had."
Agree to disagree.

Wasn't impressed with Tacos Locos.

My Dog Duke's is a good breakfast spot.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
LU Grad 11 wrote: May 28th, 2021, 6:21 pm
Agree to disagree.
What kind of pizza did you have at Sourdough? I asked what their most poplar specialty pizza was, and he said the "Bee Sting." It's made with a kind of salami that I had never heard of. When I googled it, I was a little grossed out. Has anyone had sopressata salami, and do you know what it's made from? :shock:
By LU Grad 11
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: May 28th, 2021, 6:47 pm
Agree to disagree.
What kind of pizza did you have at Sourdough? I asked what their most poplar specialty pizza was, and he said the "Bee Sting." It's made with a kind of salami that I had never heard of. When I googled it, I was a little grossed out. Has anyone had sopressata salami, and do you know what it's made from? :shock:
Pepperoni and banana peppers. But I think pepperoni or even plain cheese would be great as well. Crust was airy and crispy.

By LU 57
LU Grad 11 wrote: May 28th, 2021, 9:16 pm
Cider Jim wrote: May 28th, 2021, 6:47 pm
Agree to disagree.
Pepperoni and banana peppers. But I think pepperoni or even plain cheese would be great as well. Crust was airy and crispy.

That looks solid!! :!:
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
LU Grad 11 wrote: May 27th, 2021, 7:11 pm Sourdough Pizza Company. Best pizza I've ever had.
This is my go-to for pizza in town. I haven't tried the local Mellow Mushroom but others I have been to are good.

I really like the tacos and adult beverages at El Jefe.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: May 28th, 2021, 8:44 am
Purple Haize wrote: May 27th, 2021, 9:37 pm @Cider Jim how do you know like the sides at County Smoak? The Mac n cheese is awesome. Although I do agree the blue cheese slaw is an “acquired taste”. I do know Blue Ridge is the second worst bbq place I’ve been to around here. The sides aren’t good. The meats aren’t good. It’s just....not good.
Never really cared for anybody's Mac & Cheese. But County Smoak has killer baked beans!

You've got to selective in choosing the sides at Blue Ridge: NO to their cole slaw & potato salad; YES to their onion rings, macaroni salad, & collard greens! Blue Ridge has good desserts, too. And hot dogs! Mrs. Cider loves their wings. Plus, they have specials all the time that aren't on the regular menu.
And herein lies the problem. You all are talking about all the food OTHER than BBQ. Sides are important but you all are talking hamburgers, hot dogs...etc. If that’s your draw for a BBQ joint so be it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: May 28th, 2021, 3:09 pm
It's Friday, so Mrs. Cider and I thought we would give it a try. We got two 11-inch pizzas for $29. She got the Chicken Alfredo, and I got the BBQ chicken. We both liked the thin crust, and I like that they are baked in a wood-fire oven, but they were no where near the "best pizza I've ever had."
Agree to disagree.

Wasn't impressed with Tacos Locos.

My Dog Duke's is a good breakfast spot.
Went to My Dog Dukes for breakfast the other week. Second best breakfast joint around! (Market at Main being the best)
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: May 29th, 2021, 1:18 pm
Went to My Dog Dukes for breakfast the other week. Second best breakfast joint around! (Market at Main being the best)
Finally, something we can AGREE upon! :clapping
And you're welcome for the restaurant recommendation. :oldhag
By LUAlum1215
Pizza.- Ledo's and Upper Crust are my favorite. JOJOs for the deep dish. No clue if its like Chicago or NY or whoever else claims to have "real deep dish", but we like the JOJO version. I've never heard of Brothers but have put it on the list.

Tacos - El Jefe. End conversation. Fiesta Tapatia was pretty good mexican non-taco, though La Carreta is our staple.

BBQ - County Smoak is the best I've had in town, though I've still not had Small Batch. I do agree that CS is a bit pricey, but there stuffed potatoes are incredible. We've only had one bad experience there and it was when we showed up at closing time and got the scraps. Otherwise, pick a meat, mac n cheese, and baked beans and enjoy. Blue Ridge was decent the two times I've had it. Their collard greens were good both times. Poke Joes is the worst excuse for BBQ I've ever had in Lynchburg. I would take the closed Dickey's on Wards over Poke Joes.

Burgers - Brauburgers is probably the best, but I'm pretty fond of the Sassyjack at Beer 88 as well. Pepperjack and jalepeno's is pretty solid.

Breakfast- Market at Main is still the undisputed champion, but My Dog Dukes has a chicken and waffle that will absolutely blow your mind. Maple bacon waffle and the best fried chicken I think I've ever had.

I wish we had a good seafood spot. I've found a cool little seafood market in Madison Heights, but I'm talking a good restaurant. Harbor Inn is... fried grease. If I never eat there again it will still be one too many.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUAlum1215 wrote: May 30th, 2021, 10:55 am Pizza.- Ledo's and Upper Crust are my favorite. JOJOs for the deep dish. No clue if its like Chicago or NY or whoever else claims to have "real deep dish", but we like the JOJO version. I've never heard of Brothers but have put it on the list.

Tacos - El Jefe. End conversation. Fiesta Tapatia was pretty good mexican non-taco, though La Carreta is our staple.

BBQ - County Smoak is the best I've had in town, though I've still not had Small Batch. I do agree that CS is a bit pricey, but there stuffed potatoes are incredible. We've only had one bad experience there and it was when we showed up at closing time and got the scraps. Otherwise, pick a meat, mac n cheese, and baked beans and enjoy. Blue Ridge was decent the two times I've had it. Their collard greens were good both times. Poke Joes is the worst excuse for BBQ I've ever had in Lynchburg. I would take the closed Dickey's on Wards over Poke Joes.

Burgers - Brauburgers is probably the best, but I'm pretty fond of the Sassyjack at Beer 88 as well. Pepperjack and jalepeno's is pretty solid.

Breakfast- Market at Main is still the undisputed champion, but My Dog Dukes has a chicken and waffle that will absolutely blow your mind. Maple bacon waffle and the best fried chicken I think I've ever had.

I wish we had a good seafood spot. I've found a cool little seafood market in Madison Heights, but I'm talking a good restaurant. Harbor Inn is... fried grease. If I never eat there again it will still be one too many.
I like you. You can stay :D

Seems I need to get to JoJo’s.
By LUAlum1215
Purple Haize wrote: May 30th, 2021, 12:31 pm
LUAlum1215 wrote: May 30th, 2021, 10:55 am Pizza.- Ledo's and Upper Crust are my favorite. JOJOs for the deep dish. No clue if its like Chicago or NY or whoever else claims to have "real deep dish", but we like the JOJO version. I've never heard of Brothers but have put it on the list.

I like you. You can stay :D

Seems I need to get to JoJo’s.
JoJos is owned by the same guy/family that owns Monte Carlo on Old Forest. We ordered a pizza from there once and the quality didn't measure up. So we make the drive short trip to JoJo when we need to scratch that itch.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ok. So if JoJo’s thick pizza is the same as Monte Carlo that’s Sicilian. Not a big fan of that but it’s not bad.
By LUAlum1215
The Sicilian is at Monte Carlo and it wasn't great. But JoJo has legit deep dish pizza, not just a thick crust called deep dish.
By LUAlum1215
ACD376B0-1652-4B1D-8E73-B13EFCA64E27.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUAlum1215 wrote: May 30th, 2021, 3:53 pm ACD376B0-1652-4B1D-8E73-B13EFCA64E27.jpeg
As a Chicago pizza fan.....I now must check it out
LUAlum1215, badger74 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jojo’s Pizza - 6.8

Just had a small pepperoni. Good amount of cheese so I’m glad I didn’t order extra cheese. Sauce also good but not a lot of it. But very doughy. Almost 0 crisp and a lot of flop. The pizza had potential though. If it had a more solid under carriage which would give it some crisp I can see adding a whole extra point to the score. Maybe I needed to order it “well done”
By LUAlum1215
Try the deep dish. I can only compare it to a "true" deep dish I had in Orlando at Cure Bowl 19, but it was a good bit better than that. Take that for what its worth- nada.
Purple Haize liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 4:43 pm Anyone ever try Trenton-style tomato pie?
I have not. But I have seen it reviewed. Any in Lynchburg?
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Probably not. But next time you head north, exit 7A off the NJ Turnpike. Papa's Tomato Pies and DiLorenzo Tomato Pies.

I searched a few Portnoy reviews after you mentioned it last time. If you're aligned with his tastes, he seems to prefer the Ivy League Bar pizza. Conte's in Princeton also exit 7A.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
You have me intrigued on this regional pizza variety. One of my best friends from my LU days is an Italiano from South Jersey who goes to River Sharks games. I will try to get the low down from Rowdy Joe who I suspect is a familiar name to many Old Hags on here.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
It's really mozzarella mixed with sharp white cheddar and the sauce is put on last. If he's from South Jersey, he may be familiar with Manco and Manco on the Ocean City boardwalk. That's a decent version.

My favorite variation is John's on W44th in Midtown. John's on Bleecker is really good as well. Iconic destination and probably the most renowned for this particular style of pizza.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: June 4th, 2021, 12:45 am It's really mozzarella mixed with sharp white cheddar and the sauce is put on last. If he's from South Jersey, he may be familiar with Manco and Manco on the Ocean City boardwalk. That's a decent version.

My favorite variation is John's on W44th in Midtown. John's on Bleecker is really good as well. Iconic destination and probably the most renowned for this particular style of pizza.
Do you mean Maruca’s?

https://fb.watch/5VLxOVcA6c/
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sauce on LAST? That's like Moore's Country Store that puts chili on TOP of the cole slaw. :nono
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]