This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
badger74 wrote: July 11th, 2021, 8:13 am China Royal

As to Pork sandwiches
https://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/cheese ... y-sandwich
That’s the ticket! I knew it was a Chinese place. Anyone eaten at both for a comparison? I’m pretty locked in to the Kung Pao beef or sesame chicken at Kings Island but willing to branch out
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
Royal was pretty much like Kings Island--maybe a shade better. Andy brings the heat and is more authentic. My goto is Hot & Numbing Combination in Hot Pot .
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: July 11th, 2021, 9:11 am I’m pretty locked in to the Kung Pao beef or sesame chicken at Kings Island but willing to branch out
My preference is always Kung Pao. I wondered if Kings Island was still in business. I remember when they shut down in the late 80's for a year. With no internet or easy access to the information, it was rumor, but apparently they were known to keep atypical meats in the freezer. Upon the reopening after a year, the parking lot was packed and there was a line at the door.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote: July 11th, 2021, 9:49 am
Purple Haize wrote: July 11th, 2021, 9:11 am I’m pretty locked in to the Kung Pao beef or sesame chicken at Kings Island but willing to branch out
My preference is always Kung Pao. I wondered if Kings Island was still in business. I remember when they shut down in the late 80's for a year. With no internet or easy access to the information, it was rumor, but apparently they were known to keep atypical meats in the freezer. Upon the reopening after a year, the parking lot was packed and there was a line at the door.
I can substantiate the rumors somewhat. I used to manage a cleaning service that did "turnover" cleanups between residents for an apartment complex near King's Island. We cleaned an apartment with a freezer full of cat carcasses. Fortunately we got there before they had been thawed long enough to rot. The resident manager informed us the former residents worked at KI. No doubt the contents of the freezer were for "personal consumption", but it does make it easier to believe that something similar occasionally made it to the table at the restaurant.
SumItUp, flamehunter liked this
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, I didn't even want to address it. These things are always based on here-say.

As someone close to the Chinese community, I can say it's always far from the truth.
stokesjokes, adam42381 liked this
By LU 57
ALUmnus wrote: September 17th, 2021, 12:43 pm I've seen a couple people post about Mission BBQ, never eaten there myself. This article says they're coming to the Burg, where Panera is currently located on Wards.

https://newsadvance.com/news/local/miss ... op-story-1
There is a location here in Midlothian. Very solid, but a bit pricey. Folks are very friendly. Actually using them to cater my son’s HS Football team meal in a couple of weeks.
By Damien Sordelett
Registration Days Posts
LU 57 wrote: September 17th, 2021, 3:16 pm
ALUmnus wrote: September 17th, 2021, 12:43 pm I've seen a couple people post about Mission BBQ, never eaten there myself. This article says they're coming to the Burg, where Panera is currently located on Wards.

There is a location here in Midlothian. Very solid, but a bit pricey. Folks are very friendly. Actually using them to cater my son’s HS Football team meal in a couple of weeks.
There is a Mission BBQ in Roanoke at Towers Shopping Center. I agree with LU 57, it is a bit pricey, but the food is excellent. Wish it were in a better location where traffic could get to it easier.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
I know that everybody is saying it will be at Panera, but every business in that strip from Starbucks to Panera actually has the same 3911 Wards Rd. address. Panera is a customer of mine and they haven't mentioned anything about closing or moving; that doesn't mean much but they seem to do a pretty good business where they are, as well.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Damien Sordelett wrote: September 17th, 2021, 8:23 pm
LU 57 wrote: September 17th, 2021, 3:16 pm

There is a Mission BBQ in Roanoke at Towers Shopping Center. I agree with LU 57, it is a bit pricey, but the food is excellent. Wish it were in a better location where traffic could get to it easier.
But that Alabama white sauce though..l.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I'm looking forward to Mission BBQ coming to Lynchburg, but I can't believe their menu has a typo and calls it COLD slaw. :oops:

https://mission-bbq.com/menu-b/
By JCS Crew
rogers3 wrote: September 17th, 2021, 9:29 pm I know that everybody is saying it will be at Panera, but every business in that strip from Starbucks to Panera actually has the same 3911 Wards Rd. address. Panera is a customer of mine and they haven't mentioned anything about closing or moving; that doesn't mean much but they seem to do a pretty good business where they are, as well.
I heard the reason Panera is moving because they want a location with a Drive Thru.
By cruzan_flame13
ballcoach15 wrote: September 20th, 2021, 1:08 pm Some need to pay less attention to food, and more attention to exercise.
Ha! Ball coach with the truth bomb! Back to the topic, Eat! :lol:

By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
JCS Crew wrote: September 20th, 2021, 12:38 pm
rogers3 wrote: September 17th, 2021, 9:29 pm I know that everybody is saying it will be at Panera, but every business in that strip from Starbucks to Panera actually has the same 3911 Wards Rd. address. Panera is a customer of mine and they haven't mentioned anything about closing or moving; that doesn't mean much but they seem to do a pretty good business where they are, as well.
I heard the reason Panera is moving because they want a location with a Drive Thru.
When I worked at the Panera on Lakeside/Old Forest, the drive-thru at peak hours was always really busy, like wrapped out into the road busy at times. Food there isn't that good, especially not at the prices they charge.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote: September 26th, 2021, 8:43 am
Cider Jim wrote: September 19th, 2021, 6:47 pm I'm looking forward to Mission BBQ coming to Lynchburg, but I can't believe their menu has a typo and calls it COLD slaw. :oops:

https://mission-bbq.com/menu-b/
Costs $4.25 to make an entree a meal? lol
Wort every penny. Diet Pepsi, bbq baked beans, Mac and cheese, corn bread. All to die for.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: September 26th, 2021, 11:54 am Wort every penny. Diet Pepsi, bbq baked beans, Mac and cheese, corn bread. All to die for.
I try and I try, but some former students can never overcome their Morgantown education. :wink:
But I trust your opinion on BBQ.
LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 7 […]

Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]