This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: June 4th, 2021, 6:46 am Tomato pie

Yeah, that looks like that would be some kind of Philly version. Not the real thing. I would avoid that. Low food standards.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: June 4th, 2021, 6:46 am
paradox wrote: June 4th, 2021, 12:45 am It's really mozzarella mixed with sharp white cheddar and the sauce is put on last. If he's from South Jersey, he may be familiar with Manco and Manco on the Ocean City boardwalk. That's a decent version.

My favorite variation is John's on W44th in Midtown. John's on Bleecker is really good as well. Iconic destination and probably the most renowned for this particular style of pizza.
Do you mean Maruca’s?

https://fb.watch/5VLxOVcA6c/
Maruca's is in Seaside. It's ok. Not worth the trip in my estimation. Manco is much better. Best boardwalk. There are at least three on the OC boardwalk.

Here's how I look at it. If you're traveling past NYC and going to Canada or New England, then, get off exit 7A. Papa's and DiLorenzo are neighboring competitors in a nice little town called Robbinsville. DiLorenzo's has tomato chunks and Papa's is a thinner sauce, like John's.

If you're going to the city, then hit John's on Bleecker when you're near Greenwich Village/Washington Square Park. Or John's on W44th if you're near Times Square/Central Park.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I have been to John's on Bleeker Street and John's Midtown. If those are representative of the genre I prefer other styles in NYC. My personal favorite is the Bee Sting at Roberta's in Brooklyn:

My buddy Rowdy Joe owns a condo on the OC Boardwalk and lives in Atco. I'll get his takes on th Jersey pies as well.

And CJ, the sauce on top is the essence of Chicago-Style along with the mound of cheese in the middle. Of course some would argue the butter crust is key, but I dugress.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Pizza is very subjective, for sure.

Grimaldi's would is the most well known in Brooklyn. Subtle onion taste. Personally, not a fan. But NY/NJ is pizza-land, so there are thousands of choices. Also, many below average places who skimp on ingredients. It's a bad Italian habit. The best places tend to be competitively close to one another. Bleecker Street has several to sample within a small walking distance.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Agreed on all fronts. The only Grimaldis that I hit these days is in Huntington Beach. The options are plentiful and better in Brooklyn and beyond. Now if a New Haven-style white clam pizza shows in Lynchburg, it will be a can't miss for me on my next trip.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly, today is DecideLU when high school students and families visit campus. I met a family from Cincinnati, and we bonded over Skyline Chili.
Sly Fox liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
@paradox. Papa’s you ask I deliver! Here’s a rare DOUBLE review of the same place.
@Sly Fox this will give you more history and information on “tomato pie” than you thought you needed

LUOrange liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Skyline & Gold Star win the hearts of Cincinnatians in nothing flat.

I am working on getting a National Merit Scholar from here in Texas to visit next fall who happen to be the son of Mrs. Sly's boss. The dad asked if I knew anybody in the honors college. :lol:

And thanks for the pizza reviews, Haize. I can watch those all day.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: June 4th, 2021, 11:40 am Sly, today is DecideLU when high school students and families visit campus. I met a family from Cincinnati, and we bonded over Skyline Chili.
And who supplied you with your first taste of skyline chili? You’re welcome! Ha
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: June 4th, 2021, 12:12 pm And who supplied you with your first taste of skyline chili? You’re welcome! Ha
None other than Purple Haize himself! Coach Purple MAILED me two cans of Skyline. I loved them, but my Texas wife wanted to know why anyone would put cinnamon in perfectly good chili, so I got to eat both cans. 8)

Sly, I hoped that you told them "that you know a guy." National Merit Finalists get a full ride at LU, an Honors Program education and Honors housing, and a personal invitation to join our nationally-ranked Quiz Bowl team! And if they list LU as their first choice of colleges , they get an extra $1,000 per year that goes toward fees. :shock:
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
He has been enlightened and as you might suspect the LU hyperbole is in full effect.

And please tell your wife that if Skyline or Gold Star ever opened an outpost here in Texas I might never leave the state. Those Greeks in Cincy pourd their heritage into that chili. Opa!
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Skyline is AMAZING

MANCO & MANCO down the shore on the OCNJ boards is the best.

I’ve been in South Jersey two years now and, sadly, I haven’t found a go-to cheesesteak place yet. Several disappointments. I want to like them so bad, but they just leave me hanging. Maybe found one at Chickie & Pete’s, but I need to go back to make sure.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
I ate at the El Pastor taco truck at the The Backyard this evening and yesterday. Corn tortilla one day and flour the next. Nowhere close to as good as El Jefe but much closer to my office/home and they were pretty good. I went there mainly today to try one of the desert pies from Pied Piper. They were out of the two I was interested in, peach and apple. Will have to try another day.
By LU 57
Sly Fox wrote: June 4th, 2021, 11:28 am Agreed on all fronts. The only Grimaldis that I hit these days is in Huntington Beach. The options are plentiful and better in Brooklyn and beyond. Now if a New Haven-style white clam pizza shows in Lynchburg, it will be a can't miss for me on my next trip.
Believe it or not, a Grimaldi’s opened here in Midlothian, VA a few years ago. I really liked it, but it did not make it. My belief is that it was not a great location, and was poorly run. We almost left once before being seated because there was a huge wait with empty tables.

For those familiar, it was in Chesterfield Town Center, which has been trying to reinvent itself with several trendier restaurant chains.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Is the wings truck open yet? Did the Pok-E-Joe's truck reopen? :dontgetit
Last edited by Cider Jim on June 4th, 2021, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Wings truck wasn't open but Poke Joe's was. I was disappointed that Poke Joe's did not offer their creamed corn as a side. That's some good stuff.
Purple Haize liked this
By LUOrange
JK37 wrote: June 4th, 2021, 7:08 pm Skyline is AMAZING

MANCO & MANCO down the shore on the OCNJ boards is the best.

I’ve been in South Jersey two years now and, sadly, I haven’t found a go-to cheesesteak place yet. Several disappointments. I want to like them so bad, but they just leave me hanging. Maybe found one at Chickie & Pete’s, but I need to go back to make sure.
There was an episode if the Goldberg's where Barry found a cheesesteak joint in NJ that he said was better than Pat's and Geno's. His Dad, Murray, confirms that it's better at the end of the episode after a bunch of Barry hijinks. I'll have to rebinge the show and try to remember to let you know where it's at.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Pat’s and Geno’s are both worthless to me. Glitzy tourist traps IMO. Quality way down.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
What is your stance on White House Subs in AC? The aforementioned Rowdy Joe introduced me to it years ago and I remain a fan.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Haven’t tried it yet. I haven’t ventured into AC a whole lot. Talk about a s-hole.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: June 4th, 2021, 12:09 pm @paradox. Papa’s you ask I deliver! Here’s a rare DOUBLE review of the same place.
@Sly Fox this will give you more history and information on “tomato pie” than you thought you needed

Interesting video. It's really the mozzarella- cheddar combination that makes it special for me. It's exactly like John's on W44th. And wouldn't know the difference between this and John's on Bleecker except for the rustic coal-fired bottom.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: June 5th, 2021, 9:14 am What is your stance on White House Subs in AC? The aforementioned Rowdy Joe introduced me to it years ago and I remain a fan.
AC is several decades past its prime. A mere shadow of its former self. All the towns along the 30 mile stretch of Cape May County are really good. Give that a try. License plates from all over US and Canada.

As far as subs go, you should be able to get a fresh sub in any decent Jersey deli that has good bread.
Last edited by paradox on June 5th, 2021, 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
@paradox again...you ask...I deliver..

By paradox
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: June 5th, 2021, 6:56 am Pat’s and Geno’s are both worthless to me. Glitzy tourist traps IMO. Quality way down.
Yeah, that's one and done for most people. Possibly the worst.

If I understand this correctly, starting July 1st,[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]