This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By JK37
Registration Days Posts
:roll: “I read it as soon as it posted and thought, “People will know what I mean.”
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I went by Fifth and Federal last night and it was closed. A sign on the door said "pending ownership change". Guess I've had my last hoe cake.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote: March 26th, 2022, 1:22 pm I went by Fifth and Federal last night and it was closed. A sign on the door said "pending ownership change". Guess I've had my last hoe cake.
County Smoak should be your new bbq place. The Mac n cheese is amazing. The baked beans are stellar. I get the bbq and request it ‘extra choppy’. The Piggy Mac is good. The Taters are by far the best value. And don’t sleep on the Turkey
Bonus - the Mahogany Sauce.
badger74 liked this
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I wasn't big on their bbq, I mean it was fine, but they had drinks and live music and it was an interesting atmosphere. It's not exactly comparable to county smoak.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: March 26th, 2022, 3:35 pm County Smoak should be your new bbq place.
Wow, I never thought I'd see Purple give up on Fifth and Federal. He used to think that was the best BBQ in the 'Burg! :tailgate
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: March 26th, 2022, 6:29 pm
Purple Haize wrote: March 26th, 2022, 3:35 pm County Smoak should be your new bbq place.
Wow, I never thought I'd see Purple give up on Fifth and Federal. He used to think that was the best BBQ in the 'Burg! :tailgate
Look up 3 posts. It's closed.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: March 26th, 2022, 6:29 pm
It was. But if a place is closed you aren’t technically giving up on it
badger74 liked this
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
badger74 wrote:First Watch coming to Timberlake soon. Very good breakfast place.
It's decent but prepare to wait forever for a table. Or delivery for that matter.
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote: April 9th, 2022, 9:38 am
badger74 wrote:First Watch coming to Timberlake soon. Very good breakfast place.
It's decent but prepare to wait forever for a table. Or delivery for that matter.
Well any good breakfast place has a line on weekends. And who gets breakfast delivered. Can think of much worse than cold eggs and soggy toast. We went to the Roanoke version several times and the wait was under 30 minutes.
Last edited by badger74 on April 10th, 2022, 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Just follow my dad's advice: get up early and be the first one at the restaurant when the doors open. That works for Ballcoach, too. :oldhag
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
We had First Watch up in C-Ville a few weeks ago and it was great. Not as good as Biscuit Head down in Asheville, NC but still pretty good. Definitely looking forward to it being in the burg. Mission BBQ has been brought up a few times here, several months ago. We probably won't go. It was alright, but we don't eat on Wards that often.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote: April 9th, 2022, 9:38 am
Not the biggest fan
By BlueBlood
First Watch is perfect breakfast/lunch place for a dad who likes eggs/meat/potatoes/coffee and has wife and daughters that like gluten free / kale / organic / froufrou breakfast drinks.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
The Bagel and I is a solid new breakfast and lunch place locally. Convenient location is a factor for me, but I’m there probably once a week.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
You guys have got to try Val's Comfort Kitchen at the plaza in the old ice cream parlor from the 1980s. For Sunday dinner, you get one meat and 2 vegetables and a hot roll for $11.99. I got their fried chicken (breast & leg), stewed tomatoes, and collard greens. Even splurged on Palm Sunday and got their homemade coconut cake for a little extra.
By rhezick
cruzan_flame13 wrote: April 9th, 2022, 2:56 pm I must have missed it, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mission BBQ coming to Wards :lol:.
Mission BBQ is pretty good, and I'm not much of a BBQ guy. Have family that lives in Baltimore and would always rave about them. I think that'll be a great addition. Chick-Fil-A needs to take a page from how Lynchburg has their BBQ locations set up... Small Batch in Boonesboro, County Smoak on Timberlake and soon to be Mission on Wards.

Anyone heard anything more about the rumored Timberlake CFA or is that still a pipe dream? I know the one by Sheetz got axed but thought I remember seeing something about another one
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I’ve been souring on CFA lately. Finally tried Popeye’s sandwich - WOW! Even a recent KFC sandwich was better than the flattened bun and breast I’ve gotten from CFA the last few times. Disappointing to say the least.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
rhezick wrote: April 11th, 2022, 9:27 am
cruzan_flame13 wrote: April 9th, 2022, 2:56 pm I must have missed it, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mission BBQ coming to Wards :lol:.
Mission BBQ is pretty good, and I'm not much of a BBQ guy. Have family that lives in Baltimore and would always rave about them. I think that'll be a great addition. Chick-Fil-A needs to take a page from how Lynchburg has their BBQ locations set up... Small Batch in Boonesboro, County Smoak on Timberlake and soon to be Mission on Wards.

Anyone heard anything more about the rumored Timberlake CFA or is that still a pipe dream? I know the one by Sheetz got axed but thought I remember seeing something about another one
The last update was that they were going to use the old Bank of America property across from Big Lots, but there’s been no movement that I’ve seen.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
The Lynchburg Popeye's is not good at all. I'd love a Raising Cane's here.

One rumor I heard is the Timberlake CFA would be going down near McDonalds, but that just doesn't seem like typical CFA territory.

There's some Harrisonburg ice cream place moving into the old Rally's location. Kline's?

Along with First Watch, I think there's a Jersey Mike's going in near the Sheets as well. Once upon a time, Red Robin was supposed to move into the empty Friday's building.

What a time to be alive!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: April 11th, 2022, 9:30 am I’ve been souring on CFA lately. Finally tried Popeye’s sandwich - WOW! Even a recent KFC sandwich was better than the flattened bun and breast I’ve gotten from CFA the last few times. Disappointing to say the least.
Even Burger King has a new hand-battered chicken sandwich that's amazing!

It's like all the fast food chains ganged up on Chick-Fil-A and said, "We can do better than that!"
JK37 liked this
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: April 11th, 2022, 3:37 pm https://newsadvance.com/news/local/your ... df02d.html

Chick-Fil-A just bought the Grace Church building on Timberlake. There ya go.
Hah, finally got one right! Wonder if they'll demolish that facility to build. Still think it's not a typical CFA environment.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]