This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: June 5th, 2021, 1:38 pm
JK37 wrote: June 5th, 2021, 6:56 am Pat’s and Geno’s are both worthless to me. Glitzy tourist traps IMO. Quality way down.
Yeah, that's one and done for most people. Possibly the worst.
But you HAVE to go there as a Rite of Passage Since this IS a LYNCHBURG FOOD thread the cheeses steaks at A Taste of Philly over by Glass are amaze balls and the best I’ve ever had
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: June 4th, 2021, 7:08 pm ...disappointments. I want to like them so bad, but they just leave me hanging. Maybe found one at Chickie & Pete’s, but I need to go back to make sure.
A really good bloody cheeseburger is far superior IMO. What about Taylor Ham or Pork-roll? Have you tried that?
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: June 5th, 2021, 1:45 pm
JK37 wrote: June 5th, 2021, 6:56 am Pat’s and Geno’s are both worthless to me. Glitzy tourist traps IMO. Quality way down.
But you HAVE to go there as a Rite of Passage Since this IS a LYNCHBURG FOOD thread the cheeses steaks at A Taste of Philly over by Glass are amaze balls and the best I’ve ever had
Do they make their own bread? The authentic old world German/French bread is fairly common in the Northeast and Eastern Canada. That's key for all these sandwiches?

Ever try the Taylor Ham? Some people call it Pork Roll.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
If you don't have the bread, you can toast your favorite bakery bread, and make most of these sandwiches in the comfort of your own home...right here in the Lynchburg area.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: June 5th, 2021, 1:45 pm
Indeed, I will go, on the next visit. But not until I make a ceremonial stop in Charlottesville first, and down a Citizen Burger.
Purple Haize liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: June 5th, 2021, 3:23 pm I like pork roll and scrapple.
Scrapple??? You can take the boy out of Morgantown , but you can't take Morgantown out of the boy. :lol:
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Don’t know about that. No good pepperoni rolls for 300 miles, so we make our own. Although Julia’s ships nationwide now.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: June 5th, 2021, 5:22 pm Don’t know about that. No good pepperoni rolls for 300 miles, so we make our own. Although Julia’s ships nationwide now.
Grabbed a croissant at a bakery down the shore & noticed pepperoni rolls were being highlighted. Not qualified to determine if they're good, but perhaps there's hope. Stone Harbor 96th st.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Forgive my Texan ignorance, but how are Morgantown pepperoni rolls different from the ones they have had down here for decades?

They are staples at regional chains like Double Daves & Gumbys.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
First of all, a WV pepperoni roll is shaped more like a hot dog bun than a boomerang. 8)

What makes a WV pepperoni roll discussion so controversial is two parts:
1. with or without cheese?
2. with pepperoni slices or pepperoni sticks?

I'm sure JK and Purple have very strong opinions on these subpoints!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Some of the varieties down here are more hot dog bun-ish but all have cheese with traditionally sliced pepperoni. My oldest daughter hates marinara so she loves that these don't include the sauce. They are typically dipped in either marinara or ranch dressing.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Pepperoni pizza garlic bread at Tony Boloney's is pretty good. And it doesn't have sauce. Also, great view of the big city. And occasional Eli sighting. Not to mention a short walk to Sinatra Park.
Last edited by paradox on June 30th, 2021, 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Pepp slices, dipped in marinara. Sometimes with hot pepper cheese.

Invented in WV. You Texans are just copycats. It’s flattering.
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: June 5th, 2021, 1:49 pm
JK37 wrote: June 4th, 2021, 7:08 pm ...disappointments. I want to like them so bad, but they just leave me hanging. Maybe found one at Chickie & Pete’s, but I need to go back to make sure.
A really good bloody cheeseburger is far superior IMO. What about Taylor Ham or Pork-roll? Have you tried that?
https://www.nj.com/news/2016/06/results ... %20rows%20
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
badger74 wrote: July 1st, 2021, 8:19 am
paradox wrote: June 5th, 2021, 1:49 pm
https://www.nj.com/news/2016/06/results ... %20rows%20
Taylor ham or pork roll is just the Jersey version of Canadian bacon. They slice it off fresh up in Canada. So, that's the real thing IMO.

As far as cheesesteaks go, there is a mini-chain called Pat's Select. They serve a quality cheesesteak on a seeded baguette. I've noticed that they have restaurants as far south as Maryland. Perhaps, they will trickle down to Lynchburg someday.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I had a quizbowl captain several years ago from outside of Philly, and he swore that an authentic Philly cheesesteak must be made with Cheese Whiz. True or False? :dontgetit
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Doesn't make much sense, since the cheesesteak predates cheese-whiz. Perhaps, that's just Philly pretzel-logic. They booed Santa Claus, you know. Threw snowballs at him too.
LUOrange liked this
By LUOrange
For chain/mall cheesesteak joints, I've always liked Charleys. Would love to have one in the Burg to help me keep my manly physique.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Tony Luke's is a good straight-up cheesesteak chain as well. South Philly based...and really the go-to place...should you have the misfortune of being in Philly. Nonetheless, TL's would be a good get for Lynchburg. A good get anywhere IMO.
By LUOrange
paradox wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 1:10 pm Tony Luke's is a good straight-up cheesesteak chain as well. South Philly based...and really the go-to place...should you have the misfortune of being in Philly. Nonetheless, TL's would be a good get for Lynchburg. A good get anywhere IMO.
Yes. Philly is a poopy-hole, and it's been that way at least since Apollo Creed barely beat that loveable local loser, Rocky Balboa in 1976.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
It is the worst professional sports fan base in the United States. 2+ years living here has confirmed all of my suspicions and now made that fact a concrete one.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I typically avoid Philly but those suggestions sound terrific, badger74.

Even as an avowed Cowboy hater, watching Philly fans cheer when Michael Irvin lay on the field at Veteran Stadium temporarily paralyzed told me everything I ever needed to know about Philly fan.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]