This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

cruzan_flame13 wrote: April 27th, 2021, 12:08 pm
Purple Haize wrote: April 27th, 2021, 11:40 am Imagine if the BoT had just all stepped aside and let new people come in.
Any suggestions of people (possibly alumni) who could replace the current representatives of the BoT?
My first call for a board member is Dan Cathy. He runs the most successful explicitly Christian business in the country ($15B revenue in 2020) who is known for customer service and how they treat people. If we want to turn around our culture and reputation, he's the type of person we need to be listening to as an advisor in doing that.
stokesjokes, JDUB, LUOrange and 1 others liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Mark Demoss. We know he has the conviction and integrity to speak up against problematic leadership. It would be healing to have him back in the fold.

Boz Tchividjian- he’s got the LU connection (former law school prof), evangelical bona fides (Billy Graham’s grandson), and would be very good for optics that we take the weight of Jerry’s indiscretions very seriously (founded G.R.A.C.E.- Godly Response to Abuse in the Christian Environment).
stokesjokes wrote: April 27th, 2021, 12:38 pm Mark Demoss. We know he has the conviction and integrity to speak up against problematic leadership. It would be healing to have him back in the fold.
Only if he brings Lanny Davis and Mitt with him 😉 Just kidding. :lol:

How about Dr Voddie Baucham.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote:Mark Demoss. We know he has the conviction and integrity to speak up against problematic leadership. It would be healing to have him back in the fold.

Boz Tchividjian- he’s got the LU connection (former law school prof), evangelical bona fides (Billy Graham’s grandson), and would be very good for optics that we take the weight of Jerry’s indiscretions very seriously (founded G.R.A.C.E.- Godly Response to Abuse in the Christian Environment).
Doesn't Mark specialize in church cover-ups?

Also I agree with Boz being who is needed but the part about his evangelical bona fides made me lol. He's not exactly with that group. Which is another reason why he's a great candidate.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
First off, Mark is retired. The firm he operated after leaving Doc's staff was a boutique PR agency that managed many issues with sexual abuse just one of many. To dub him the church cover-up guy is not a fair description of his work. I like the idea of him returning to the board. For those unaware, the DeMoss family was crucial in the early development of the school. It may also be interesting for some to note that Williams Stadium is named after Mark's father-in-law who was a MAJOR contributor in his own right.

As for Boz, his now disgraced brother actually played on the Flames football team once upon a time. Just a random fact with no correlation to his candidacy for a board position. His cousin Will has been on the board for quite awhile now.

I like the Dan Cathy suggestion. But he has been trying to distance himself from what are perceived to be controversial organizations the past few years. So i suspect he would likely pass.

Is it just me or wouldn't it be nice to have some more folks below that age of 50 who weren't related to somebody else already on the board?
LUOrange liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Mark covered up sexual assault and double downed on it in his book. No thanks on that. I don't care how crucial his family has been. That is a hard pass from me.

I do agree, it would be nice to have people from different stages of life. But ultimately, it doesn't really matter because clearly Jerry P has us going in a certain direction and I don't think there is much turning back now.
I thought Boz was still in his 40's. His relative youth in relation to our current standards is one of the big draws to him. Even being in his mid-50s, I'm still a much bigger fan of his than most of the current board.
Sly Fox wrote: April 27th, 2021, 2:14 pm First off, Mark is retired. The firm he operated after leaving Doc's staff was a boutique PR agency that managed many issues with sexual abuse just one of many. To dub him the church cover-up guy is not a fair description of his work. I like the idea of him returning to the board. For those unaware, the DeMoss family was crucial in the early development of the school. It may also be interesting for some to note that Williams Stadium is named after Mark's father-in-law who was a MAJOR contributor in his own right.

As for Boz, his now disgraced brother actually played on the Flames football team once upon a time. Just a random fact with no correlation to his candidacy for a board position. His cousin Will has been on the board for quite awhile now.

I like the Dan Cathy suggestion. But he has been trying to distance himself from what are perceived to be controversial organizations the past few years. So i suspect he would likely pass.

Is it just me or wouldn't it be nice to have some more folks below that age of 50 who weren't related to somebody else already on the board?
How long did you work for Demoss?

Some alumi that went to school with him had a few reservations about him at the time. Jr as well. But for different reasons :lol:
Sly Fox wrote: April 27th, 2021, 2:14 pm I like the Dan Cathy suggestion. But he has been trying to distance himself from what are perceived to be controversial organizations the past few years. So i suspect he would likely pass.
If not Dan, someone of that type of leader would be a hugely welcome addition. Outspoken Christian. Outwardly lives it out. Is successful in business. We need that more than we need Republican Evangelists and old school retired pastors.

We need a combination of business, education, and Christian leadership. It can't just be old white guys who see the world the same way with the same background. That's how we got here.
thepostman liked this
Jonathan Carone wrote: April 27th, 2021, 2:46 pm
Sly Fox wrote: April 27th, 2021, 2:14 pm I like the Dan Cathy suggestion. But he has been trying to distance himself from what are perceived to be controversial organizations the past few years. So i suspect he would likely pass.
If not Dan, someone of that type of leader would be a hugely welcome addition. Outspoken Christian. Outwardly lives it out. Is successful in business. We need that more than we need Republican Evangelists and old school retired pastors.

We need a combination of business, education, and Christian leadership. It can't just be old white guys who see the world the same way with the same background. That's how we got here.
Voddie Baucham is not white??
[/quote]

I agree on those 3 resumes, and I would add a politician and a former coach or AD. Need to "cover all the bases".
TH Spangler, LUOrange liked this
Jonathan Carone wrote: April 27th, 2021, 2:46 pm

I don't think their their skin tone or age has anything to do with these mishaps. Since causes these issues. I don't care if the board is all "white", only men or a mixture of people. What is important is Slaves for Christmas willing to use their abilities to 'reconstruct' the Word of God in every position and structure of the University. I get your point that we both would like some improvements mainly going back to the original vision of our founders.
By LUOrange
I'd suggest someone from both the Cathey Family (Chikfila) and the Green Family of Hobby Lobby/Mardel's fame (especially since they donated the old Ericcson factory (Green Hall/TRBC/LCA) to LU. I'd also suggest Rashaad Jennings and Tony Evans.

But I do agree that our Board should be a mix of backgrounds- politics, education, ministry, business, athletics, etc., and preferably a mix of men, women and races. The only common denominator and requirement is that they're Bible believing evangelical Christian conservatives.
stokesjokes, Just John liked this
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: April 27th, 2021, 2:14 pm As for Boz, his now disgraced brother actually played on the Flames football team once upon a time. Just a random fact with no correlation to his candidacy for a board position. His cousin Will has been on the board for quite awhile now.
Because Will Graham is on the Board it would perhaps portend not so well for Boz to be on it. Their parents have a Jonathan/Jr. type sibling relationship.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
For the record, I never worked for Mark DeMoss. He offered me a job years ago that required a move to Atlanta. It was a hard pass as a result. But I have connected with him since the '80s from time to time. But not since he retired.

Just John does bring up a good point in regard to the Boz-Will dynamic.

I think Tony Evans would be a fantastic suggestion. He has plenty of connections to LU including a grandson who just verbally committed to Coach Freeze to play for the Flames.

Is Karen Kingsbury a viable option? I could see it. Toby McKeehan is not crazy talk either.

Samuel Rodriguez has spoken at LU over the years and would make an intriguing possibility.

Right now we have a board made up primarily of car salesmen and alumni who pastor tiny churches of little influence. Any of the above would have the nerve to stand up and hold leadership accountable.
LUOrange, cruzan_flame13, thepostman and 1 others liked this
LUOrange wrote: April 27th, 2021, 4:06 pm I'd suggest someone from both the Cathey Family (Chikfila) and the Green Family of Hobby Lobby/Mardel's fame (especially since they donated the old Ericcson factory (Green Hall/TRBC/LCA) to LU. I'd also suggest Rashaad Jennings and Tony Evans.

But I do agree that our Board should be a mix of backgrounds- politics, education, ministry, business, athletics, etc., and preferably a mix of men, women and races. The only common denominator and requirement is that they're Bible believing evangelical Christian conservatives.
Personally I'd take Benjamin Watson over Rashaad. I know he doesn't have the LU connection but from a spiritual standpoint I think Watson's head and shoulders above almost any other former athlete out there. But I have no idea if he'd ever consider a position like this.
stokesjokes, TH Spangler, Just John and 1 others liked this
flamehunter wrote: April 28th, 2021, 6:34 am
LUOrange wrote: April 27th, 2021, 4:06 pm I'd suggest someone from both the Cathey Family (Chikfila) and the Green Family of Hobby Lobby/Mardel's fame (especially since they donated the old Ericcson factory (Green Hall/TRBC/LCA) to LU. I'd also suggest Rashaad Jennings and Tony Evans.

Personally I'd take Benjamin Watson over Rashaad. I know he doesn't have the LU connection but from a spiritual standpoint I think Watson's head and shoulders above almost any other former athlete out there. But I have no idea if he'd ever consider a position like this.
Turner Gill
LUOrange liked this
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: April 27th, 2021, 2:46 pm old white guys
At some point you're going to need to mature a little bit and get over this hang-up.

I'm not sure what criteria you guys think makes for a good board member. LU has long had a problem with celebrity worship & cronyism, and some of these suggestions just perpetuate that. Students, parents, locals, the media, society...nobody cares who is on a school's board of trustees, so let's stop trying to impress everyone with BIG names. Go look at the boards of other institutions that we should emulate, see what type of board make-up helps them to be successful.
flameshaw liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
It’s perhaps a clunky and jarring way to say it, but Jon’s not wrong about the old white guys. The fact is, the board would be well-served to have a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and genders represented. The problem isn’t with old white guys, the problem is with only old white guys. The same problem would exist if the board was all young women or any other monolithic representation. If everyone is coming from the same perspective, they are going to have huge blind spots that having diversity would fill and help balance.
JDUB, Baybird, adam42381 liked this
stokesjokes wrote: April 28th, 2021, 12:14 pm It’s perhaps a clunky and jarring way to say it, but Jon’s not wrong about the old white guys. The fact is, the board would be well-served to have a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and genders represented. The problem isn’t with old white guys, the problem is with only old white guys. The same problem would exist if the board was all young women or any other monolithic representation. If everyone is coming from the same perspective, they are going to have huge blind spots that having diversity would fill and help balance.
:roll:

I will say that all "white", "black" or others are not the same. People are from different regions of this country which are not alike. Also, they should have the same mindset if it comes from the word of God. Talking about diversity, race, etc from the modern definition has nothing to do with God but just the twisted ideology of the world. By the way those concepts are all derived in the Social/Marxist ideology and look what that has done to several countries in the 19th/ 20th century and see how it's still going in this country and other developed countries. We need Humble and Virtuous slaves of God (that's right, I said slaves) to take these position and make sure that Christ is the true impact in everything the LU is involved in (academics, athletics, local/state/national/international missions). Feelings do not matter in this case. Of course these individuals will still need accountability and they should concur and recognize this notion.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]