This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
https://www.liberty.edu/news/2021/04/08 ... ca-summit/

Major government, business, and faith leaders from over 10 countries across the African continent, including prime ministers and ambassadors, will congregate with American business leaders on Liberty University’s campus April 13-15 to share visions of transforming the world through Judeo-Christian business values.

The action summit, titled Equity for Africa, is a three-day global business and faith forum sponsored by the Liberty University School of Business and the Standing for Freedom Center.

African participants will include Nigerian billionaire Folorunso Alakija, President of the Republic of Ghana Nana Akufo-Addo, and Vice President of Liberia Jewel Howard-Taylor. Former President of Malawi, Joyce Banda, the first female president in Africa, will also make a virtual appearance.

Guests from the U.S. include former U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo; Congressman Ted Yoho, author of the Build Act, a $70 billion development fund; and Dr. Alveda King, niece of Martin Luther King Jr. Other American business professionals slated to make appearances are President of Hobby Lobby and Chairman of the Board of Museum of the Bible Steve and Jackie Green, former NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine, and international banker Erik Bethel.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Should have tried to get Bono. He’s been pushing hard for African Nations debt forgiveness. I liked what I heard on the surface
By tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote: April 12th, 2021, 6:49 pm Should have tried to get Bono. He’s been pushing hard for African Nations debt forgiveness. I liked what I heard on the surface
Good luck with that. The West will forgive debt, but China won’t, they own 3/4 of the strategic parts of the Continent due to infrastructure “loans” and now control the largest mineral resources in the world while the West just casually watched.
TH Spangler liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: April 13th, 2021, 9:12 pm Well, yeah, just wondering which speaker they were for
Pompeo. Or Postman
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Crazy small world. Several years ago while trying to reconnect with my old LU classmate turned soccer empresario Sly Tetteh, I inadvertently connected with another Sylvester Sly Tetteh. As it turned out, he was a Minister of Parliament who did graduate studies at Regent. He also was Nana's right hand man in Ghana for most of the past decade and is seen as that party's heir apparent to Nana. He and I have chatted about crisis coms through some ugly elections and how Christianity fits into Ghana life over the years. I have had several near trips to Accra for clients but have never made it there yet. When I saw that Nana was coming for this summit, I reached out to Tetteh and joked with him about missing out on a trip to Liberty. Small world indeed.

For the record, my classmate passed away a few years ago after discovering some of the greatest African soccer talent ever including Michael Essian. Sly was also on the same WLBU radio staff with me and the Sherry Coberly-Shriner whois being discussed in 'The Devil You Know' thread.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: April 14th, 2021, 12:20 pm Sly, at this point you could say you had breakfast with the Dalai Lama and I don’t think anyone here would be surprised
You’re assuming he hasn’t
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: April 14th, 2021, 9:05 pm Oh, I’m not assuming anything. I was half expecting him to confirm.
Sly probably met him at a Buc-ee's at some point. I feel pretty important seeing as I've known Sly since his early days at Liberty!
Sly Fox liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: April 14th, 2021, 7:52 am That was a great realization of what I really think Liberty can do for His Kingdom.
Communist China is not only setting debt traps for Africa, they are doing it to us and the rest of the west. They have major influence over US based multinational corporations. Russia is more of a a distraction to make you look the other way.
tyndal23 liked this
By cruzan_flame13
TH Spangler wrote: April 15th, 2021, 4:11 am
Class of 20Something wrote: April 14th, 2021, 7:52 am That was a great realization of what I really think Liberty can do for His Kingdom.
The world bank/International Monetary Fund (IMF) is not only setting debt traps for Africa, they are doing it to us and the rest of the west. They have major influence over US based multinational corporations. Russia is more of a a distraction to make you look the other way.
Fixed it for you 8)
TH Spangler liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: April 15th, 2021, 4:11 am Russia is more of a a distraction to make you look the other way.
Completely false. I don't know why Republicans fear China and Democrats fear Russia and then act as if the other is not a real threat. Both are threats but it is hard to sift through the partisan politics and determine how big of threat both are to national security when both parties are so focused on trying to prove they're right instead of trying to keep our nation secure.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: April 15th, 2021, 10:33 am
TH Spangler wrote: April 15th, 2021, 4:11 am Russia is more of a a distraction to make you look the other way.
Completely false. I don't know why Republicans fear China and Democrats fear Russia and then act as if the other is not a real threat. Both are threats but it is hard to sift through the partisan politics and determine how big of threat both are to national security when both parties are so focused on trying to prove they're right instead of trying to keep our nation secure.
I beleive China has bought into the democratic party and probably owns a few established Republicans. To me Russia is just a bunch of computer hackers. They'll never come close to challenging us economically. Their biggest threat is nuclear and what they might achieve with others. China on the other is playing the long game, militarily and economically. They are using communist labor to either indebt or buy you.
tyndal23 liked this
By cruzan_flame13
Actually it's just geopolitical theater which produces fear for their citizens. Fear produces easier access to control especially poblic opinion. The division (politics, academia, etc.) help to give people hope even though both sides is playing the same game(in a chess-like fashion).
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: April 15th, 2021, 11:01 am
Actually it's just geopolitical theater which produces fear for their citizens. Fear produces easier access to control especially poblic opinion. The division (politics, academia, etc.) help to give people hope even though both sides is playing the same game(in a chess-like fashion).
Ultimately Gods will comes to pass. The time-line moves right on schedule. 👍:lol:
LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 8 […]

Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]