This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
@ballcoach15 has used that scripture several times as to why women shouldn't be preachers yet he doesn't dive into the context or audience in which that verse was directed towards.

There are plenty of valid arguments and scripture that could arguably back up what ballcoach is saying and somehow he manages to always pick the absolute worse verse on the matter because if we are to read that literally, without any context whatsoever, then I'm afraid we are all probably going to churches where women do not remain silent.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
“Yes, English can be weird. It can be understood through tough thorough thought, though.”
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: April 10th, 2021, 10:11 am Rolls are important. Nothing compliments a meal like a good roll with some butter :D
Exactly! I like Kings Hawaiian as well as Logan's Roadhouse. Although it also depends on the meal. Italian needs garlic bread, chili requires cornbread.
thepostman liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote: April 10th, 2021, 11:01 am “Yes, English can be weird. It can be understood through tough thorough thought, though.”
Im my case its speech. I use voice. And I can't see the text without my glasses. :lol:
By rtb72
ballcoach15 wrote: April 10th, 2021, 6:18 am A so called church with a woman pastor isn't really a church. It's just a building where non believers gather.

1 Corinthians 14:34-35
I beg your pardon....no actually, I don't beg your pardon. I'll just pardon your self-righteous judgement! I think we debated this some time ago, so I'll just re-post a snippet of my commentary and look forward to your response. And just so we are clear...I don't hold the fact a church is a building....as I interpret the Bible...a church is a body of believers no matter what structure they are in. The building I gather in every Sunday does not make it a church....it is the believers inside. And yes...despite your assertion.....we ARE believers. We have youth pastors, music ministers, mission ministers, and our Family Education pastor....all beautiful, Godly, WOMEN!

Previous post on topic:

"The primary meaning associated with the nature of preaching in the New Testament comes from the fact that the Greek word most frequently used to describe a preacher was that of a herald. A herald was one who announced a message, generally from the king or some other ruling authority, to those who had not heard it before. Preaching in New Testament times therefore related primarily to announcing good news. In the New Testament, the content of that good news centered around the themes of Jesus, Christ, the word, the gospel, and the kingdom."

http://www.thebible.net/biblicaltheism/ ... nction.htm

So the Great Commission was/is gender specific? So I guess Mary Magdalene was probably not the best person for Christ to first reveal Himself to after The Resurrection....thereby leading to her spreading the Good News per His instruction?

Right...and that's where one discerns based on context, the era in which it was written, translation, etc. How do you define the church? Or a pastor? There are numerous examples where women in the Bible led, taught, or "pastored" believers in one way or another.

*Pastor*: One who feeds the flock; shepherd...pas'-ter (ro`eh; poimen; literally, a helper, or feeder of the sheep.

*Bible Tools (2020) Baker's Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology. Salem Media Group. https://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/pastor/.

Was Mother Teresa not a pastor to His flock? Was my grandmother not a pastor to our family, when she led me and many others in our family and community to Christ, including two other community members even still serving as Baptist ministers. More precisely to the Bible, what about Phoebe (Romans 16:1), Lydia and Thyatira (Acts 16:15), or Nympha (Colossians 4:15)....just to name a few. Specifically, some of these women "led" churches in their home. While you assert the Bible says women cannot pastor a church, there are countless examples where they are lauded as doing just that...not a building or "institution" as it were....but the truest sense of The Church....a body of believers.

I'm not going to discount your interpretation of the Bible...that's not my place. We all have an INDIVIDUAL and PERSONAL relationship with Christ that helps us in our embrace and understanding of Scripture, as well as how we apply it to our own life. But I do believe the Bible, as i understand and embrace it, makes it clear that we are all one in Christ (Galatians 3:28). The Great Commission was applied to ALL BELIEVERS. Christ was very sensitive to the role of women and clearly demonstrated in numerous passionate accounts of how important their role was and is to His Kingdom....even in HOW they led other believers.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: April 11th, 2021, 8:04 am 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 is very plain, and needs no interpretation. Study
You need to stick to playing in shallow puddles, BC. When you venture out of the softball discussion, your "public image" takes a hit.
rtb72 liked this
By rtb72
ballcoach15 wrote: April 11th, 2021, 8:04 am 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 is very plain, and needs no interpretation. Study
I haven't looked yet...but Is that the passage that gives you the authority to judge who is and is not a Christian?
Longshots liked this
By rtb72
TH Spangler wrote: April 11th, 2021, 8:39 am
https://www.gotquestions.org/women-preachers.html
I would disagree with several parts...in particular that any person, male or female should have spiritual authority over me. That is designated for the Holy Spirit. Secondly, the "church" as referred to in this article, almost exposes an ignorance or naivety to what the church truly is and how it is led...
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
So you don’t think it’s Biblical for women to teach Sunday school ? Lead VBS? Heck, if interpreted the way you do they can’t even sing IN the choir
rtb72 liked this
By rtb72
TH Spangler wrote: April 11th, 2021, 9:29 am Many men dislike scripture on this as well :lol: They would just as soon kick back and let the ladies have it. Unfortunately scripture teaches they have to step. Get off their butt and get going. :lol:

https://www.gotquestions.org/search.php ... +preachers
I think it is clear that it is ALL our responsibility to forward the Word of God. To assert one does not "like" a particular scripture is to wrongly assume your interpretation is binding and the only interpretation. Additionally, I'm not sure anyone said they didn't like scripture. My problems were with the article....one which is written from a human perspective/interpretation. Lazy? Not sure men who recognize women have also been afforded "talents and skill" for the forwarding of God's plan would be lazy.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Scripture is addressing church "leadership". If not pastor or deacon ... still many very important roles for Women.

The link is not an article its an interpretation agreeed on by nearly a dozen top biblical scholars and then submitted to "Got Questions". You can read the links for yourself. There's no since in me repeating them. I rarely disagree with their conclusions. You can research who they are on the website.

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: April 11th, 2021, 4:00 pm Deuteronomy 4:2

Revelation 22:18-19

Study
Jonah 2:8
Philemon 1:7
John 14:6-12

See? I can randomly throw out Bible verses too
rtb72 liked this
By rtb72
TH Spangler wrote: April 11th, 2021, 2:01 pm Scripture is addressing church "leadership". If not pastor or deacon ... still many very important roles for Women.

The link is not an article its an interpretation agreeed on by nearly a dozen top biblical scholars and then submitted to "Got Questions". You can read the links for yourself. There's no since in me repeating them. I rarely disagree with their conclusions. You can research who they are on the website.

That's your "walk"....not necessarily everyone eles's...

I can find "Biblical scholars" all day long who have differing opinions and interpretations.At the end of the day, I expect we would probably agree on many and disagree on some.
By Jonathan Carone
I don’t mind disagreeing on theology. The Bible is a very complex book where people who love Jesus often interpret things differently.

That said, I have a very big problem with treating people who hold a different view in the way ballcoach and those like him do. Being at best unkind and at worst purposefully mean to those who hold a differing view is completely antithetical to so many pieces of Jesus’ teaching.
Baybird liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
...as if everything in an Apostle's letter applies directly to every cultural situation everywhere. I am pretty sure that whatever Paul was talking about with head coverings and angles is lost somewhere in antiquity.

The context with women and leadership has a lot to do with this new dimension of freedom and equality in Christ that initiated with the first Christians. Paul did not want Christians abusing that freedom by creating obstacles for unbelievers.

the Bible doesn't go against the natural order. Men have an obligation to lead. However, there are women who are more than capable. This should not be an issue. There are exceptions. Even the Old Testament has examples of female prophecy.
rtb72 liked this
By Jonathan Carone
There is biblical evidence for women holding every single ministerial role (prophets, teachers, pastors, deacons, and apostles) except for elder.

Without direct evidence, the question then becomes was the lack of female elders a cultural omission or a purposeful omission because it was out of God's design? Given other Scripture that speaks to God's character, and the fact the early Christian church actively changed Junia's name in translations, I lean cultural.
rtb72 liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It looks like I may need to split off this discussion from a thread that was a split off a thread that was a split off a thread.

Don't go changin', posters.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]