This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
This is great news, but should have been done when Jr. left. It has been in the works since then, but there were some reasons it took so long (not good ones in my opinion).
It wasn't for being too liberal, it was for multiple reasons. Long overdue.
ballcoach15 liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
That position requires someone who can garner an environment that encourages true spiritual growth and fosters that kind of environment. I truly believe when Nasser first took the position at Liberty he did that. Somewhere along the line he lost his way a bit.

That position requires things much more substantial than the things you continue to mention ballcoach.
Baybird liked this
By tyndal23
Well, the great thing about The Kingdom is that The message gets through regardless of style and shortcomings of the messenger. Nasser isn’t “my style” of messenger, and I have never met him, regardless he has led a lot more people to Christ than I have. I wish him the best personally and am glad he is welcome back to LU anytime for appearances. As for his actual role moving forward, should be a 2 year revolving slot, not an overpaid power position.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Johnathan is a "strong" Godly man. He didn't ask for the TRBC postion but step up when he was needed. He has done a great job. If and that's a big if, he steps up at Liberty he'll have my complete support and I think he would do a great job. There are few people that understand Doc's vision for Liberty more than he.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
No possible way he can run both. He’s gotta do LU temporarily or hand over TRBC.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
So, now being directly involved with the students' spiritual lives... he HAS to say something about big brother's shenanigans, right? He could ignore it pretending to be focused on unrelated TRBC before but it's his job now to deal with it
By Whatisthetruth
LUconn wrote: April 8th, 2021, 6:33 pm So, now being directly involved with the students' spiritual lives... he HAS to say something about big brother's shenanigans, right? He could ignore it pretending to be focused on unrelated TRBC before but it's his job now to deal with it
It seems that any bad behavior by any Falwell is, and never will be an appropriate topic of conversation within the LU bubble.

Until there is an acknowledgment of what happened reporters will keep digging and and the story will come out bit by bit. Hard to understand why the ExCom doesn't realize this.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote: April 8th, 2021, 6:33 pm So, now being directly involved with the students' spiritual lives... he HAS to say something about big brother's shenanigans, right? He could ignore it pretending to be focused on unrelated TRBC before but it's his job now to deal with it
Perhaps the distance from Jr's departure to now gives Jonathon a legit pass to take up that discussion.

I was told directly from a current board member of a meeting requested with him several months ago by what I will just refer to as a "top-tier staffer" at TRBC. I was told it seemed clear he was relaying a message that Jonathon could be both Chancellor of LU and Pastor of TRBC.

I hope that is the case. Jonathon has done such a good job at TRBC I would really hate to see him leave but I also think he would do a good job at LU and bring some needed balance. With a strong staff at both entities it should work. It wouls be quite a bit less than Doc did.
flameshaw liked this
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Just John wrote: April 8th, 2021, 11:00 pm
Perhaps the distance from Jr's departure to now gives Jonathon a legit pass to take up that discussion.

I was told directly from a current board member of a meeting requested with him several months ago by what I will just refer to as a "top-tier staffer" at TRBC. I was told it seemed clear he was relaying a message that Jonathon could be both Chancellor of LU and Pastor of TRBC.

I hope that is the case. Jonathon has done such a good job at TRBC I would really hate to see him leave but I also think he would do a good job at LU and bring some needed balance. With a strong staff at both entities it should work. It wouls be quite a bit less than Doc did.
Does TRBC have the old "yes men" culture? I don't get that impression and Having known both Jerry and Johnathon since youth, I think Johnathon would be more likely to fill leadership positions with folks who know and understand education AND are strong believers.
TH Spangler liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
I thought a couple of years ago they had a building site just off campus for a new TRBC building. What happened with that?

One less convo per week and church reqirment on Sunday works for me.
By Jonathan Carone
I hope Jonathan is just a stop gap until we can get someone new in full-time. He is a great pastor, but our students deserve someone who can give them their full attention.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I was talking to some friends last night about this. I worry that Jonathan just isn’t the right guy to connect with college students. He’s got a pastor-to-middle-aged-people vibe to me. As far as spiritual direction of the university, I don’t really have any objections to Jonathan taking the lead there, but preaching to a room full of college students it seems like he would be out of place.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: April 9th, 2021, 8:55 am I thought a couple of years ago they had a building site just off campus for a new TRBC building. What happened with that?

One less convo per week and church reqirment on Sunday works for me.
As long as that “church requirement” isn’t specific to one church. College students are a very valuable part of many local churches, including my own.
Just John, phoenix liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan can preach to college students better than some young whippersnapper in skinny jeans, no socks and sneakers. He can adjust to his audience. (Dr.Falwell was very good at this).
Once the investigation is finished, don't be surprised if he becomes Chancellor.
TH Spangler liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
With all due respect ballcoach, you aren't exactly my go to source on how to minister to young people.

It would be interesting to hear what current students think about this development.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, let us young folks handle this one :wink:

There’s two things I think zoomers crave from a speaker:

1. Authenticity
2. Depth

Jonathan’s style is borne out of an older generation. It’s smooth and rehearsed. You can even hear it in his cadence when he’s preaching. For the younger folks, this can come across as inauthentic (please hear me, I’m not saying it is inauthentic).

On the 2nd point, it’s hard to say. I know there’s a sense in which when you’re preaching to a room of a few thousand, you have to go lowest common denominator to make sure no one’s left out, so grain of salt on this, but I’ve never been particularly challenged by Jonathan’s sermons nor have I found them to be particularly theologically rich. That’s something a room full of zoomers, especially college students, are going to crave.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: April 9th, 2021, 10:04 am Members of this message board pay more attention to what's "going on", than the students, in my opinion. The students I talk with, never mention it.
Do you ask them their thoughts? The ones I know are paying attention.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]