This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By paradox
Registration Days Posts
There are pros and cons to everything. Jonathon would be advantageous in that he's articulate, balanced, and measured. This has been a lifetime journey and commitment for him. The downside would be the perception of the never-ending family successor. If he eventually rises to the highest level, it would be favorable for him to build a committed team of leaders as well as a succession plan that moves on from the bloodline model.
ATrain, rtb72 liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The pipeline should not be limited to current TRBC staffers. I haven't heard him speak in over 30 years, but does Matt Wilmington not have the chops?
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: April 12th, 2021, 3:29 pm All I will say is, I know of church members who skip church whenever MW is scheduled to "preach". He doesn't have a good delivery.
I listen to him on Hope Now recently, I like him. But then I like low key sermons.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
If Ballcoach doesn’t see a pastor screaming, hopping up and down, and whacking people in the head with the Bible, that ain’t preaching.
By k9saber
“That's the Independent Fundamentalist Baptist guilt mindset.”

Grew up in that legalistic culture...so much emphasis on “looking, dressing, and acting” like a Christian, which bred a generation of self-righteous “church goers” akin to the Pharisees. Instead of hmm...here’s a noble idea, exposit the Word, teaching faithfully week after week, and let the Spirit do what the Spirit does, draw sinners to Christ through grace/faith. “Toes getting stepped on...ridiculous. I’ll take grace and cling to Christ.
Last edited by k9saber on April 13th, 2021, 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just John, SumItUp, Baybird and 3 others liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Acting, yes. Looking, dressing, no. The only thing I can tell that would be dressing “christ-like” would be wearing a long white robe with a blue sash like in all the pictures :lol:

But you should have an ethic of Christian living and you should hold your brothers and sisters accountable to that in a grace-filled, Christ-like way.
JK37 liked this
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: April 13th, 2021, 9:54 am Tactfully need both.
What I saw growing up at TRBC wasn't "tactful." I don't even think it is used appropriately here. Image was often right up there with one's faith.
Last edited by rogers3 on April 14th, 2021, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k9saber liked this
By k9saber
For PM clarification, and for those who may have even wondered...I am far from being cynical or jaded at the Church; one of the greatest tangible blessings that I get to be a part of is this: experiencing genuine fellowship with other believers who “don’t have it all together,” aren’t concerned about their “image or standing” in the community or the local church, value deeply the grace that has been given to them, still fight and mourn over their sin, and realize that anything that is good about them is b/c of Christ.

There is a freedom in transparency and genuine humility that is priceless...that will preach (in some places). :wink:
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: April 13th, 2021, 10:05 am Acting, yes. Looking, dressing, no. The only thing I can tell that would be dressing “christ-like” would be wearing a long white robe with a blue sash like in all the pictures :lol:

But you should have an ethic of Christian living and you should hold your brothers and sisters accountable to that in a grace-filled, Christ-like way.
Ladies shouldn't hem their robes 16 inches above the knee :lol:
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]