This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
:roll: when will this crap stop? typical negative slant. How about THIS headline instead: "Falwell CAUTIOUS in support of emissions curbs"

guess that doesn't sell as well- gotta make him a bad guy all the time
http://newsadvance.com/servlet/Satellit ... 9666&path=

Falwell won't join friends on global warming initiative
By Ron Brown
rbrown@newsadvance.com
February 9, 2006

The Rev. Jerry Falwell will not join dozens of evangelical leaders in endorsing an initiative urging the U.S. government to curb emissions in combating global warming.

Falwell said the “Evangelical Climate Initiative” could create a “toboggan slide” of hurtful decisions that would diminish America for generations to come.

On Wednesday, 85 influential evangelicals signed off on the initiative, which cites higher sea levels, more frequent heat waves and droughts, increased tropical disease and reduced agricultural productivity as evidence of global warming.

Among those signing the document was the Rev. Rick Warren, a Falwell ally and author of the best seller, “The Purpose Driven Life.”

The document entitled “Climate Change: An Evangelical Call To Action” contends that Christian moral convictions demand a response to the climate change problem and calls on governments, businesses, churches and individuals to play a role in alleviating the problem.

Falwell said he thinks the action is premature.

“I have therefore not signed the initiatives and would be reluctant to do so,” he said. “I do not feel the science is yet clear and undeniable on whether humans are actually contributing to global warming.”

Falwell said some scientists doubt global warming is actually occurring.

“There are multitudes of respected scientists who feel that this is a cyclical phenomenon and they point to the 1970s - only 30 years ago - when many scientists were also predicting global cooling,” he said.

Falwell agrees with the parts of the initiative that call for carbon dioxide control through market-based restraints.

One such proposal would allow industries to trade pollution credits among themselves, while establishing an overall emissions cap.

Falwell said “evangelicals must be cautious in addressing issues of such magnitude, especially when the jury is still out.”

“There is no doubt that the national media and most political liberals will greatly embrace this action,” he said. “I am also deeply concerned that a mass endorsement of global warming by evangelicals at this time could pressure the U.S. to sign on to the flawed Kyoto Accords or similar global agreements which would greatly damage America’s national economy.”

Falwell said the initiative could be playing into the hands of foreign economic and military powers.

“We must not forget that China, India and other major nations that comprise over half the world’s population have clearly stated that they will not participate in any such agreement,” he said.

Falwell said his position is not meant to put him at odds with those who signed the initiation, many of whom he considers friends.

“I am convinced of the sincerity in this issue and of their overall devotion to world evangelization,” he said.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Everybody knows we are anti-environment, anti-civil liberties, anti-world peace. We also hate puppies, flowers and small children.

8)
By nickrichard
Registration Days Posts
Do you think the gigantic Surbaban he drives has any bearing on this?
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I'm SURE its' hydrogen or LP-gas powered! :wink:
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Here's the official line from Jerry:
FALWELL CONFIDENTIAL

Insider weekly newsletter to The Moral Majority Coalition and

The Liberty Alliance http://www.moralmajority.com

Date: February 10, 2006

CLIMATE INITIATIVE IS A BAD IDEA

A group of more than 80 evangelical leaders has released a statement conveying what they describe as a biblically-driven pledge to address issues of “global warming.”

The group, which includes The Purpose Driven Life author Rick Warren, called on the government to ratify legislation aimed at reducing carbon dioxide emissions that allegedly contribute to global climate change.

Issued by the Evangelical Climate Initiative, the statement declares: “This is God’s world, and any damage that we do to God’s world is an offense against God himself.”

Signers said the statement was brought about by a concern for the impact global warming will have on people, especially poor nations and individuals.

“The consequences of global warming,” the statement reads, “will hit the poor the hardest, in part because those areas likely to be significantly affected first are the poorest regions of the world.”

Many of the people who signed this document are my friends — some are dear friends. Nevertheless, I have felt compelled to oppose their effort because I believe that global warming is an unproven phenomenon and may actually just be junk science being passed off as fact.

In addition, I believe that so-called solutions to global warming — and particularly the Kyoto Protocol, which is the politically-correct international agreement to fight greenhouse gas emissions — would devastate the American economy if adopted by our nation. Further, studies have shown that costly efforts to stem greenhouse gas emissions would just barely reduce global temperatures.

Paul Driessen, senior policy adviser for the Congress of Racial Equality and author of Eco-Imperialism: Green Power ∙ Black Death, recently stated, “By making energy less affordable and accessible, mandatory controls (on greenhouse-gas emissions) would drive up the costs of consumer products, stifle economic growth, cost jobs, and impose especially harmful effects on the earth’s poorest people.”

That’s a bottom line our nation cannot endorse.

I believe that my dear friends who have signed onto the Evangelical Climate Initiative have acted prematurely and really need to examine countering opinions on global warming.

There are many respected scientists who feel that present warming trends are a cyclical phenomenon; they point to the 70s, only 30 years ago, when many scientists were similarly predicting a global cooling.

It is also important to note that China, India and other major nations who comprise more than half of the world’s population have stated they will not participate in such agreements.

Evangelicals must be very cautious in addressing issues of such magnitude, especially when the jury is still out on the magnitude of the “problem.”

Alan Wisdom, president of the Institute on Religion and Democracy, stated this week, “Churches should be reluctant to attach the name of the Gospel of Christ to contemporary political agendas that lack a clear scriptural mandate and consensus among the faithful.”

I think those are very wise words.

At most, I recommend asking the U.S. government to take reasonable measures to establish limits on emissions at the federal level and “to pass and implement national legislation requiring sufficient economy-wide reductions in carbon dioxide emissions through cost effective, market-based mechanisms.” I stop right there for fear of starting some “toboggan slide” toward reckless and hurtful decisions which will greatly diminish our nation and likely injure our children and children’s children.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
Jerry has actually calmed down on this... I remember when Al Gore was huge on the environment and they were considering the problems that come from Aerosol cans... Jerry said "Every day when I comb my hair I spray my hair and then I spray two puffs up for the ozone."

He was saying it tounge in cheek but his point was that some of this stuff is unfounded. Granted JF isn't a scientist but I'd think he knows one or two who advice hhim on these questions...
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:I'm SURE its' hydrogen or LP-gas powered! :wink:
It doesn't matter what powers it, I'm getting off the road AND the sidewalk when I see that thing coming...tried jumping in front of it one time to get an interview, but that didn't work out so well :lol:
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
TallyW wrote:Jerry has actually calmed down on this... I remember when Al Gore was huge on the environment and they were considering the problems that come from Aerosol cans... Jerry said "Every day when I comb my hair I spray my hair and then I spray two puffs up for the ozone."

He was saying it tounge in cheek but his point was that some of this stuff is unfounded. Granted JF isn't a scientist but I'd think he knows one or two who advice hhim on these questions...
Ohh yeh that was a classic, or the "if they made a bigger SUV I'd drive that too"
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
there IS evidence of global warming! WOW- and they're objective, too. Well, I guess that settles it, then. Put the car up on blocks- turn off your AC- shut down the factories.

NASA puts its weight behind warming signs
Press release on ice sheet survey follows internal changes

Following two recent studies on changes to Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets, NASA is touting a survey that it says confirms “climate warming is changing how much water remains locked in Earth’s largest storehouses of ice and snow.”

In a press release for the survey, NASA directly tied the changes to warming and described the survey as “the most comprehensive” ever in both regions.

That stand can in part be explained by lead author Jay Zwally’s warning.

“If the trends we’re seeing continue and climate warming continues as predicted, the polar ice sheets could change dramatically,” he said in the press release last Wednesday. “The Greenland ice sheet could be facing an irreversible decline by the end of the century.”

But Zwally, a scientist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md., told MSNBC.com that the press release also follows an internal NASA change that seems to be taking place to allow scientists greater freedom.

Complaint made a difference?
A change in policy appears to be occurring after NASA scientist Jim Hansen complained about being silenced because of the Bush administration’s opposition to mandatory curbs on greenhouse gases that many scientists tie to global warming.

“A few months ago this press release might have been seriously edited or not approved,” Zwally said.

Based on satellite mapping of ice sheets and published in the Journal of Glaciology, the survey validated computer models projecting impacts on Earth from global warming.

“The survey documented for the first time extensive thinning of the West Antarctic ice shelves, an increase in snowfall in the interior of Greenland and thinning at the edges,” NASA said in the press release. “All are signs of a warming climate predicted by computer models.”

The press release followed the two Antarctica and Greenland studies, which included NASA research. And while those received considerable attention because of data that showed rapid changes in the ice, the press releases sent out with them did not emphasize global warming.

Warming ‘has really just started’
In the most recent press release, NASA did not directly tie the warming to humans and the burning of fossil fuels, which emits carbon dioxide, a key greenhouse gas.

But Zwally noted that the predicted climate warming cited in the press release is caused by manmade emissions. A natural warming cycle is technically possible, he said, but not likely given how closely the warming and models track.

Zwally said he expects to have even stronger satellite data within a year.

“We’re seeing the early signs of changes in the ice sheets,” he added. “The climate warming from greenhouse gases has really just started.”
IE: we have no proof that its a man-made problem, but we really really think it is. So thats good enough.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I think the most important lesson I learned from all this is that there is at least 1 person from Lynchburg that knows a toboggan is a sled and not a type of hat.
CUSA Tournament Las Cruces, NM

No team should get a bye. Not fair. Everyone sho[…]

LSU

We lose 4-0, pitched good enough to win, but as wa[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Unless Trump is suddenly a NY resident again, I […]

Liberty Campus "protest"

Same trans as has been happening in secondary scho[…]